“Not so bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest

You added Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest to your Saves list
Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2369 Banff Trail Northwest, Calgary, Alberta T2M 4L2, Canada (Northwest Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #91 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Oslo
“Not so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2007

I stayed at the Ramada Limited in Calgary for one week in February 2007, from the 19th to the 26th, and it was a positive surprise. Having read a number of sub-standard review of the place ("worst place I ever stayed at", and stuff like that), I did not expect much. But what I experienced was quite frankly an average experience for a reasonable price. It is true that the place seems to have had its best days and that it could need some brushing up. However, the service was ok and the bed was good, so all in all I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

Unbelieveable. When we arrived, the hotel was not busy at all (it was 12:30 at night), and when I tried to ask the front desk agent a few questions, he was extremely rude. When we got to our room, it looked as though someone had tried to break in with a crowbar, and the lock was broken. When we asked for a new room, we got an even worse attitude. We then proceeded to our new room where the heating did not work. We could actually hear the guy next to us sneezing through the night. I would pay twice as much to stay at the hotel next door, because I have never stayed in such a poorly cared for hotel in my life.

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — the rude service and paper thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay here ever!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

This was our first hotel stay during a week long visit to Alberta. It was very disappointing. When we arrived there was a car full of young people who appeared to be doing something illegal and made us feel somewhat unsafe. In the evening there were young people in the parking lot (our room overlooked the parking lot, unfortunately) making lots of noise and skateboarding. The room seemed clean but was obviously very old and musty. My partner wanted to leave but we had pre-paid through Hotels.com. Since we weren't spending alot of time in the room it was somewhat ok to lay our heads but I would certainly recommend that you find another hotel rather than this one. It takes alot to make me complain about something but this did it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Tips/Secrets — If in doubt, don't pre-pay. You may want to change your plans if you aren't happy with the accommodations.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

We recebtly spend two nights at the Ramada Ltd., in the motel village area of NW Calgary. I was very disappointed in the hotel. The rooms were very run down and neglected. The staff was ok. The free breakfast is very limited and the breakfast area is very, very small. The tile floor under the breakfast counter was black from lack of cleaning when the rest of the tile on the floor was cream. We were looking for a cheap place to stay for 2 nights that was close to the U of C. While it was cheap in comparison to others, we got what we paid for. We'll definatley pay a little more for something better next time we're back.

Edmonton, AB, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

Stayed in this hotel in October 2005 for a one night stay as was in Calgary on business and the location was extremely close to where I needed to go for a conference.
I had booked the room on line and upon arrival at the hotel was treated well by the hotel staff. Although I had prepaid for the room via credit card online, I was asked to provide a copy of the credit card with the explanation that this would only be used in the case where I had additional charges applied to the room (ie; phone calls).
The room itself had a king bed, television, coffee maker, table and chairs. I had also booked a smoking room, which is what I had received, so was fine. Upon arrival, the room was perfectly clean and smelled as such. There was no garbage or "remains" from previous guests, and the supplies were adequately stocked.
I will agree that the hotel has seen better days; the room is that of a very "average" room, the bedding is older, the carpets are older, and the overall appearance is that of "older".
I will say that I did NOT see or hear any bugs, did not get any bites of any kind, and my bedding on the bed was again, average but intact with no holes or worn areas.
The area itself is pretty good if you need to be near the hospital, the stadium, or the university, and the rail transit is a quick walk down the street.
My biggest complaint was this. After checking out and returning home, I was checking my credit card info and hugely annoyed about a $400 + charge placed on my card by the hotel-over and above the charge for the room. I immediately called the hotel and spoke with the night clerk there who after numerous checks and several calls back and forth, advised that the staff who checked me in put the charge on as a "deposit". The staff I spoke with was very apologetic and indicated that this was over and above the amount usually placed on a card for deposit-which he indicated is usually $50. He also assured me that the charge would have been released upon my checking out.....it was not. After all was said and done, it took almost a week for the charge to be credited to my card.
Despite that, if I needed a quick overnight stay in this area again, I would probably use the hotel again, however, for a longer period, there are a few hotels in the area that are more upscale if you are looking, including the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn down the street.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Great Falls, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2006

We were on a trip for our 20th anniversary and chose this hotel
because it was a good price (we thought) and the name Ramada.
What an awful mistake!! First we asked for a non-smoking room and
were given a smoking room. Inside it was dirty. The paint and
wallpaper were peeling, there were stains on the walls and
lampshades, one of the chairs was falling apart, the bathroom door
scraped on part of the floor, the drain was slow when showering so
by the end you were standing in several inches of water. There were exposed wires by the heater. There was a dirty washcloth on the shelf. We found bottle caps on the floor just under the bed but visible, and right on the floor was an open condom wrapper. The patrons around us were less than desirable. They were yelling
and cussing late into the night. In the lobby at the Continental
breakfast it was a mess and there was a dying plant with dead leaves all over the floor. The items they promised in every room were not there - iron, ironing board, hair dryer, and key for the room safe. It was extremely filthy and very uncomfortable to stay. I recommend you avoid staying at this hotel!!

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My experience at the Ramada Limited in Calgary was not an enjoyable one, with numerous problems and issues. Lights in the rooms do not work, the desk staff is unfriendly, and most notably, the ringer on the phone in the room did not work. Upon request for the ringer to be fixed, or the phone replaced, I was told it would be done, only to find out two days later that this was in fact not the case - the phone still did not work.

The hotel was moderately clean, but the bathtub was rusty and the sheets and pillows were in rough shape. The included "continental" breakfast was the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Been to Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest? Share your experiences!