“Great food, slow service. Drink menu reminiscent of a Gentleman's club...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charcut Roast House

Charcut Roast House
899 Centre Street SW, Calgary, Alberta T2G 1B8, Canada (Downtown)
403 984-2180
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 3,019 Restaurants in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Calgary, Canada
“Great food, slow service. Drink menu reminiscent of a Gentleman's club...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Maybe if we'd done the 45 minute quick service menu option the service would have been faster, but as it was, it was extremely slow, and our waiter did not seem all that familiar with the menu. The food, however was excellent, and the drinks menu was very interesting and reminiscent of what a gentleman's club might offer, with drinks made with ingredients like Bitters and Bourbon. They had gluten free bread, and I thoroughly enjoyed my roasted chicken sandwich and side of grilled broccolini, which wasn't listed on the lunch menu, but they obligingly provided for me when I requested it after seeing it on their website. The drinks we received were not the one's we ordered, but they were good anyway, and a refreshing change from the usual drink fare at most places. The beet salad was excellent - red and gold beets and delicious goat cheese. The poutine was mediocre, according to our Poutine expert, who prefers the gravy and chesse layered in and well melted, not all on top and not fully melted. They had no gluten free dessert options, unfortunately, but one of the dessert selections is a small bag of cookies to go, and my friends chose cookies and a tiny little cheesecake to go, which was reportedly absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, by the time the waiter returned to our table to take our dessert order we had to take it to go as we were running short of time, so we couldn't eat it there with cappucino to finish off the meal. Still, it was a very delicious meal in a pleasant atmoshphere, and we quite enjoyed it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Calgary, Canada
“Charcut for "Big Taste YYC"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I went to Charcut in December 2011, weren't very impressed (see detailed review), and were admittedly hesitant to return when our friends suggested we try it for Big Taste YYC. Lucky for us, we gave it a second chance! The server was knowledgeable and the portion sizes were perfect (which was one of our complaints previously). We liked the family-style dining as it allowed us to try new things (such as polenta) without committing 100%. We'll go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great place (even for a single traveller)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I make sure I go to Charcut at least once each time I am in Calgary. The service is always friend and the wait staff is very attentive to their clients.

That having been said, there seems to have been some changes and drinks and food taste different... I would even dare say: not as good as it use to be.

Notwithstanding, I would still recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
calgary
“Always a treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I both love Charcut. It's our go-to place for a dinner out with friends, family or just the two of us. Their food is always delicious, rustic and satisfying. A dinner out could cost a lot especially when you add beverages, but you could save quite a bit by having lunch instead. They have quick 45 minute in and out lunches that include soup, sandwich, yummy fries and cookies for a mere $15. I feel so fortunate working nearby so that I can go there anytime...although it is tough to get reservations nowadays.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tacoma, Washington
“Chef's table is high entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

As a single traveler, I asked to be seated without a reservation.
The host offered me a table overlooking the kitchen, which was highly entertaining.
The chefs and line staff were very friendly, and made me feel like an honored guest.
Watching the final steps in food preparation and presentation was fascinating for the foodie in me, and my dinner (Butcher's cut steak) was absolutely delicious.

Visited February 2013