“Older Hotel - Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Palliser

You added The Fairmont Palliser to your Saves list
The Fairmont Palliser
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   133 9th Avenue Southwest, Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M3, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Burlington, Canada
“Older Hotel - Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The Fairmont Palliser Hotel did not disappoint. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel itself and my hotel room. Everything was clean and the service was also very good.
My favourite feature was the spa and the huge jacuzzi, definitely a highlight!
It is an older hotel and the style is not necessarily my cup of tea, nevertheless it was a very comfortable and pleasant stay.

Check out the video I took of my room:

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Like every Fairmont we have stayed in, The Palliser did not disappoint. The food was great, the room was great and the service was great. My wife always wanted to try the Gold floor so we did this time. I don't see the value for the extra money spent for this "upgrade"

Room Tip: We stayed on the Gold Floor. Didn't see any advantage in spending the extra money
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as we had an early flight to catch the next day. Booked a standard queen room and I was pleasantly surprised at how large the room was! We had 4 pieces of luggage and could easily open them up on the floor and still have room to walk around.
The room was nicely appointed and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was also large and had great shower pressure.
The hotel has a grand old feel about it! Enjoyed our one nights stay and now wish we had of stayed longer!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Well, I guess I have to conclude that while the government of Canada is one of the best and most generous organization the people and institutions are not so much.
I just spent a night at this amazing facility in Calgary. Check-in was cumbersome although I was the only person at the desk. The front desk clerk had a very tuff time to try to assign a room for me. Not sure why, perhaps because I said I don't care about the bedside but I like it quiet.
I got to my room on the 3rd floor last room. Nothing was right in it. Old drab, cold, bed lighting etc.
First act I called maintenance to fix the thermostat and the lights. A delightful mechanic J.P. arrived and fixed it all and later he took it upon himself to ask for a change of room.
This is how I got to the bright and beautiful room in perfect working condition. Thanks J.P.
The new room was delightful, brightly and elegantly furnished with all in perfect working condition.
So, the question remains; why did they assign me an un-renovated uninspiring room when they had plenty others available. It appears that my Fairmont loyalty card did not merit a minor upgrade when the hotel only had a 44% occupancy. Wouldn't they rather have a happy customer? The room had no slippers, no coffee or tea and no water, but it had free Wi-Fi.
I eat lunch in the hotel restaurant called the Oak Room, not cheap but excellent food. Very good service by a sweet French Canadian waitress, but the luck of generosity yet again became a minor issue to notice. I asked for my drink to be strong and little ice. She immediately told me that it will cost extra money to be strong and of course it was too much ice.
I am missing those little extra gestures of kindness and generosity we are so often receive in the USA from staff who is in contact with the wider public. I assume it goes with the territory...

Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Have stayed here before, a number of years ago.
Everything is still superb.
Service impeccable from those who assist unloading your luggage from the cab to the front desk to the housekeeping staff and concierge.
The rooms are immaculate and tastefully decorated.
First class all the way.
We ordered room service, which included the Bento Box with Ahi Tuna. One of the best priced items on the menu.
Food and drink is expensive here, but served beautifully.
All in all, wonderful stay.

Room Tip: If you can swing the Gold Floor, it's worth it for the breakfast and evening happy hour.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The central air designed to keep you awake at nights,if on, makes a racket and if off stuffs up the room!

The bathroom exhaust fan is even noisier and is deigned to numb the brain and block all thinking or thoughts.

The hot water became progressively cold and the shower turned into a race to get the soap off before it became uncomfortably cold.

The non smoking floor do carry the stink of cig smoke.

NEED I CARRY ON.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TheFairmontPalliser, Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us; however, we regret to read it was not up to our Fairmont standards. We apologise for any inconvenience the water and fan provided to you and we would like to learn more about which guest room you were staying in. We are about to commence construction on our renovations of three floors, where we'll be a fully restored property - we look forward to the chance to invite you back then.

Best,
Jacqueline Tyler
Communications Manager
jacqueline.tyler@fairmont.com
Calgary AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed overnight for a wedding. Had a basic, small room, but it was very nice and comfortable. Love the grand feeling of the lobby and hallways. Valet parking is definitely worth it, as street parking is pretty much non-existent and the parkade is just as expensive. Mini bar is quite expensive and they were going to charge us $1.75 for making one local call. Quite disappointed that such an expensive hotel would charge for local calls.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
TheFairmontPalliser, Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback; we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you loved our grand lobby.

We look forward to have you be our guests again soon.

Best,
Jacqueline Tyler
Communications Manager
The Fairmont Palliser

Been to The Fairmont Palliser? Share your experiences!