“Outstanding service & location – enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #13 of 102 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Outstanding service & location – enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Calgary for two nights in Dec. for business. The location is great – a short walk to the Calgary Tower, Glenbow Museum, Chinatown and the wonderfully historic shopping, dining and pub district of Stephen Avenue.

The hotel has been renovated and the lobby decor is warm and welcoming and rooms are nice. A few places look a bit worn such as the large tapestry rug near the restaurants, and some of the seating in Thomsons (one of the restaurants), but overall it is visually pleasing, especially the wide variety of artwork throughout. The decor seems to nicely echo the Calgary landscape.

Our king room was clean and spacious, although the bathroom, while also spacious, had not been entirely renovated (the tub & its plumbing fixtures in particular). The bathroom towels, while adequate, were not the soft, fluffy kind that even some lower end hotels provide. The bed was a bit firmer than we are used to, but its duvet-covered-by-sheets is always nicer than a bedspread and the room was nice and quiet so we slept well. The room has a safe, a coffee maker (with tea also), a hair dryer and a mini bar (a stocked mini bar fridge, not a fridge that you can use for your own use). We were busy enough that we didn’t use the pool so I cannot comment on it.

Everything was clean and the staff was very friendly and attentive, starting with the valet parking attendant and front desk people we interacted with, as well as the concierge and the housekeeping person and supervisor.

We had two issues with the room. I had to go the front desk to request a replacement key and when asked by the nearby concierge how the room was, I mentioned these issues. The front desk person immediately apologized and she said she would call the housekeeping supervisor to notify of the issues. A few hours later, when I returned to our room, the issues had been remedied and there was a card with a written apology and coupons to use for food and beverages at the hotel. I was extremely impressed with how professionally and quickly the situation was taken care of.

The breakfast buffet was very good with creamy scrambled eggs, real sliced potato hash browns, several other hot options, as well as oatmeal with several toppings and an omelette station; there was also smoked salmon and capers, several cold cereals, a decent selection of fresh fruit that was actually ripe, a selection of pastries, etc.

We had drinks in the hotel’s Sandstone Lounge then dinner twice at their seafood restaurant, Catch. Service at both was friendly and attentive and the seafood was very good and creatively presented – a bit pricey but probably on par with other hotels.

The service, combined with the hotel’s amenities and location, made it a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We usually find that rooms far away from the elevator are quieter. The added walking is worth it. Th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed on the 10th floor and enjoyed the Regency Club room for breakfast and snacks. Breakfast was good and quick. The room has a view if you're interested in looking at downtown Calgary. I wouldn't pay extra for a view room but I would pay for Regency Club. You have access to a nice lounge with drinks, snacks and a good breakfast. Our family was busy going in two different directions. We didn't have to worry about getting in to a restaurant because the Club lounge was so convenient.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for a view. Downtown is just a bunch of buildings. Regency Club rooms are no...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while attending a conference. Late arrival was no problem. Throughout my stay, I found all staff to be friendly and helpful. As the conference host, I was fortunate to get a corner room on one of the executive floors. The room was very large and comfortable. And it may sound strange but I enjoyed having windows in the bathroom. Room service was speedy and the food was tasty and the perfect temperature. The convention centre was easily accessible. Tons of restaurants and shops are within walking distance.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel is the best that I tried since I was in Calgary with my gf. We were there for 4 nights and everything was just so nice! The view was amazing, service quality was number 1. Anyways I recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt in November. Had to check out a day early, was told that everything was fine. I discovered that I was charged the extra night on my credit card. Went to Hyatt to get this resolved and was told that they rejected my claim. Feel very badly treated. I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementHRC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Calgary, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear savoyfoob,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I was disappointed to hear that you encountered an issue with billing, but I understand your frustrations. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Rest assured, I have shared your comments with our Front Desk management team and will follow up appropriately.

We pride ourselves on delivering quality service and products to our guests, but in your case we fell short of this goal. I hope you can view this as an isolated incident and allow us the opportunity to serve you in the near future. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further or if I may be of any further assistance.

Herb Rackliff
Vegreville Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night while on a business trip. We were a late arrival (10 pm) and we greeted by a friendly host who upgraded our room to a higher floor with a decent view of the city. the room was very clean, bed was firm, bathroom was spacious. The room was a bit dry, but its winter and that happens in Alberta. We had parked underground which is an additonal $25.00 per night (35.00 if using valet). We checked out at about 10 am and were served by the Front Office Manager Shahzad Cokar who was very pleasant. He compt our parking as a kind gesture. All in all a good visit to the Hyatt for this couple.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are spacious and clean. We took advantage of the gym, steam room and jacuzzi - all clean. We had breakfast at the Thompson - good. Very friendly service throughout our stay. Overall top rate experience.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hyatt Regency Calgary? Share your experiences!