“Disgusting.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites University

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn & Suites University to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites University
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2369 Banff Trail, N.W., Calgary, Alberta T2M 4L2, Canada (Northwest Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2 Trips, 1 Night Free*
Ranked #80 of 99 Hotels in Calgary
Lethbridge, Canada
“Disgusting.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have stayed at other Comfort Inn and Suites, and found them to be a great, basic hotel, so I assumed (mistakenly) that this hotel would be likewise. The lobby and hallways immediately impressed me with how old and dirty this place was, but I was hoping the rooms were better. Indeed, on first glance, it seemed to be adequate. Until I went to turn on a lamp and noticed the embedded grime where the switch was. Then my daughter noted that there were hairs on the pillow, and that there was a cigarette burn on the bedding. The floors had not been vacuumed (perhaps in the center of the room?), and there was foam sticking out of the hide-a-bed. Everywhere we looked, there was hidden, long-term filth, and we both utilized hand sanitizer when we left the room. The front desk attendant refused to refund the $175 I had paid, and when I offered to pay a half day rate, he also refused. Upon complaint to the manager, I was offered a complimentary upgrade to the Jacuzzi suite. Given the lack of cleanliness in the other areas of the hotel, I can only imagine what I would pick up in a Jacuzzi. DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, November 25, 2013

We are undergoing renovations and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Our breakfast is a full hot buffet breakfast which includes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, muffins, waffles, cereals, tea, coffee, oatmeal, etc. Our breakfast in fact is quite popular as it is not just coffee and toast as offered by other hotels. In addition to the above, we have a 2 story high water slide with an indoor heated water park and a Jacuzzi.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve your hospitality needs and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Visiting in Calgary in August, was concerned by some comments of others but booked as so handy. My friend and I were welcomed warmly, found a lovely entrance way, our room very clean and very quiet! A great breakfast and many seemed to enjoy large swimming pool.

Room Tip: We asked for a south facing room which allowed a lovely sunset and view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, November 27, 2013

Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

When i first started to stay there in 2009 nice but it has moved down to bad as of Oct 27 2013.
Room not so clean, shower tap knob fell off I had to replace, ice machine very dirty, lots of garbage in lobby, can overflowing. Wiil not ever go back to this location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, January 3, 2014

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at this motel two years ago. It was of very good quality and value then, but has since dropped in both categories.
On the positive side, the location of this motel is great - easy access to the University, Sports Stadium, restaurants and the city's light rail service.
Management was very courteous and friendly throughout our stay - noting our Level within the Choice Club Program and providing a very nice upgrade to a suite.
Our King bed was very comfortable with lots of bedding and pillows.
The breakfast area at this motel is very, very good. It is constantly monitored with items being kept replenished. The lady supervisor is very friendly and will go out of her way to ensure that you are able to get the breakfast items you desire. Well done !
The indoor pool area was kept well organized and stocked with a good supply of towels.
This motel is in need of a major upgrade ! It enjoys a high traffic flow of guests, and now it is time to reinvest throughout.
Furniture in the room was old with several chip marks. The washroom was clean, but definitely showing its age.
The air conditioner in our room worked - but only if you left it on HIGH at all times, and only in the bedroom itself. The air exchange vent that was designed to share cooler air with the second room was very ineffective. As a result, we could at the same time almost be cold in the bedroom but be swelteringly hot in the living room area.
Another disappointing aspect at this hotel was the television system in the Suite. Full cable service was only available on one television at a time. If you wanted to watch different programs in the two rooms, one television could shut down the other - really weird set up. Management was of no help when asked - simply telling me that was they way the motel connections were arranged. Never had this occur at any other motel !
Having pointed out a few areas in need of repair, nonetheless we could recommend this motel and look forward to staying there again in a couple of years when we return to Calgary.

Room Tip: 1. If you want a cooler room, try to get one on the North side of the motel; 2. Check your room as...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 6 days on business. Horrible hotel. Air conditioner did not work and room temperature was 86 F and curtain hung down from rod. Could not get anyone to repair in two days. Tried to get another room but was told all were booked. Left for dinner and returned to being told I could look at 4 other rooms to see if the AC worked in these rooms. They did work and asked for the first one they suggested at which point I was told I could not have it as it was a Jacuzzi room. So I took the other one. Thank goodness AC worked. Another negative aspect of hotel was the food and the lack of exercise facilities. The "breakfast" was exactly the same thing every day. Rubber eggs and sausage patties. There was only two machines to exercise on and no weight machines or free weights. Pool was tiny. Only good thing was location. Right next to C Train. Also close to football stadium which may be the reason the motel was in such rough shape, dirty, smelly and broken down. Also, looked to be short staffed. The Comfort Inn in Brockville is completely the opposite.

Room Tip: AVoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Saddiq K, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
First of all I must apologize for the issue with the Air Conditioner. I can assure you it has been addressed. This is not at all the standard that we do provide at the hotel. All our rooms are equipped with automatic temp regulators which kick in automatically whenever the temp is either too hot or too cold.

I am sorry for the frustration this guest felt but can assure you this is not at all the kind of standard our hotel provides. The issues at hand were addressed to maintenance and were resolved and we installed a brand new PTAC unit in that room.

Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

In September 2013, I booked a group of federal employees attending a conference into this property. I had stayed there a couple of years previous, and was happy with the value, cleanliness and service. This experience was entirely the opposite. The floors in both the common areas and my room were soiled; corners were caked in dust. The temperature mixing valve on the shower was broken, so a cool shower was the only option. The multiple setting shower head would only pulse a heavy stream. Face cloths and hand towels appeared to have newsprint stains. Bath towels which I hung for reuse disappeared but were not replaced. One morning I had to go to the front desk for towels. Consumables in the room such as the coffee pack were not replaced, but it didn't much matter as the coffee maker did not work, as I discovered after my first attempt. Trash was not removed from the room.
I can usually rely on Comfort Inns for an enjoyable, good value experience, but this visit certainly didn't meet expectations. It's a shame, because the property is conveniently located to the University, rapid transit, and some shopping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for submitting your reviews about your stay at our hotel. We take pride in welcoming each and every customer at our hotel and strive our level best to give the best possible service and the highest possible standards available in order to make their stay enjoyable and comfortable.

We have recently undergone a complete renovation of all the rooms whereby we have installed brand new carpets, flat screen HD Televisions with Digital Receivers from Shaw Cable, high speed wireless internet, brand new wall papers, marble counter tops etc. Had you mentioned your displeasure with your room we would have gladly moved to a room which would have been more appealing to you.

We offer a full hot buffet breakfast which includes sausages, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, fresh waffles, fruits, variety of flavored yogurt, fruits, juices, cereals, oatmeal, muffins, breads etc. Our customers really love our breakfast and the 2 story high water slide in the indoor heated water park featuring a Jacuzzi as well as fitness center and guest laundry facilities.

We thank you for your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you and look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel had terrible reviews and my expectations were low. I am usually a Westin, et al, quality hotel user. However, my room here was fine, and clean and completely acceptable. The staff tried hard and were polite and professional. The downsides were that the common areas were very untidy and worn, and the breakfast wasn't really very good.

If ownership/management invested a little money and put in some more effort, the results would be positive. I wouldn't necessarily stay here again, but this hotel could be an acceptable option.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for submitting your reviews about your stay at our hotel.

We have recently undergone a complete renovation of all the rooms whereby we have installed brand new carpets, flat screen HD Televisions with Digital Receivers from Shaw Cable, high speed wireless internet, brand new wall papers, marble counter tops etc. Our hallways and lobby will shortly be renovated too and I do hope you will enjoy our new updated look.

We offer a full hot buffet breakfast which includes sausages, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, fresh waffles, fruits, variety of flavored yogurt, fruits, juices, cereals, oatmeal, muffins, breads etc. Our customers really love our breakfast and the 2 story high water slide in the indoor heated water park featuring a Jacuzzi as well as fitness centre and guest laundry facilities.

We thank you for your hospitality and look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites University? Share your experiences!