“Quiet & Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Quiet & Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was concerned that it would be noisy because the hotel is right downtown and there is a bar of some kind next door & it was a Friday night but it was quiet and peaceful all night. As a platinum member they gave me an upgrade to the jacuzzi suite. I couldn't get it to work but I enjoyed soaking in that tub while watching TV. The bed was great - better than many other Holiday Inns I've stayed at. Breakfast is free and was very good! Coffee was better than expected. The whole experience of checking in and out - perfect. Parking was also free with no trouble getting a spot right behind the hotel. I'll stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The building is very old and some of the rooms have a very musty smell. I was not impressed also as the rooms are very old and out of date.
The hotel has 9 floors and only one elevator.
Staff were fine, but I'm not sure I would be back.
Locale was iffy: right beside a bar with lots of "undesirables" mulling all around.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear CalgaryDavid,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Leavenworth, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stay here while attending Spruce Meadows "Masters" as an photographer. My friend and I used the light rail transit back and forth. The staff at the Holiday Inn were most helpful and friendly giving us the "lay of the land" and putting us a ease with the West End Town "flavor." I am a realistic traveler and keep my eyes wide open to all the elements at play, To the staff at the Holiday... Thank you! You all were professional and friendly and were most helpful taking the next step in making sure we had a great experience.

Room Tip: This is a great place to stay while most of your day is gone on adventures. If you are look for blus...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We generally like Holiday Inn Express, but for the price this one just wasn't up to par. The building is older, and although the rooms are decent, I probably wouldn't stay here again, For the price we paid ($200 for one night) there are much nicer hotels in downtown Calgary.
There is a continental breakfast, but we didn't eat there so I can't say if it was any good or not.
The staff at the hotel was great, and the location is awesome if you want to be downtown. I did also like the balconies off the rooms.
I just can't justify the price for a hotel that is very mediocre.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Rachelle R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. We are also pleased you liked our location. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We arrived from Australia after a 23 1/2 hour journey!!
Caught shuttle from airport and were greeted by wonderful staff Rachel at front desk!!!
Room had 2 queen sized beds and was clean and comfortable.
Breakie was included and had everything you could want, was fresh and delicious!!
Would definitely recommend this place to other and would stay here again for sure!!!

Room Tip: Read reviews before booking anywhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ajax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is to relay my dissatisfaction on my recent stay at this location on July 14-16. The location does not look like safe specially at night when strolling in the area, the price is comparable to other hotels near the centre of the city and the staff was not attentive to my needs. The first night stay, I was given a room adjacent to the elevator - I had asked to be transferred away from the elevator. The night manager/staff noted this but I did not hear nor was advised whether this was possible. I was supposed to check out on July 20 (1 - week stay) but had to leave early because of this poor customer service. I advised the front desk staff of my dissatisfaction and said that it will be relayed to the manager, to date, I have not received a call or email or any communication regarding this concern. This is something very unusual to the service that I get from the other hotel locations and I am very frustrated with this outcome. I hope somebody in higher management would take a note of this.

Room Tip: I was told that to get a bigger and spacious room at this location, it has to be at the end of both...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear comp-aliance,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Bedford, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Earlier this week, I spent two nights at this hotel. The suite was Huge and more room than I had time to enjoy! The staff was extremely attentive and friendly! I did not have time to enjoy the offered breakfasts as my morning meetings were elsewhere over that meal. It's about a mile (1.6 km) to Center Street giving one an opportunity to walk or, if less inclined to exercise, there is a free downtown light rail system. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay here and it worked out well for your business trip. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Calgary? Share your experiences!