“Fantastic value, good for families but a bit noisy for business travelers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport

Save Saved
You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2481 39th Ave NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 8V8, Canada (Northeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #21 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic value, good for families but a bit noisy for business travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had a weekend stay at the Country Inn, after winning the room from a third party bidding site. The price was excellent and I was pleased that I wasn't put in a shoddier room due to using the other site.

Check in was very efficient. Keys were ready when I arrived and it seemed they'd be likely to accommodate a room change if I had asked since the hotel seemed to be only 2/3 full on the weekend. They had the standard fresh cookies in a jar on the counter. I was in my room within 4 minutes of my arrival and received a call within 30 minutes to ask if I was happy with my room.

The room itself was very good. Size of the room and washroom was comparable with the Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn Express in the area. The decorating was (as the name of the hotel would suggest) country casual. The furniture was newish and well maintained. There was a flat screen TV with limited Pay Per View options and a small selection of cable television channels. There was a long counter where the TV was perched, a working desk and a 2-3 seat sofa. The room was more than spacious for 2 people. I found the bed to be a bit more firm than I would have liked but that is a personal preference. Bathroom toiletries were fairly basic, with Pantene shampoo and conditioner, soap, all purpose cloth, and Vaseline moisturizer.

The breakfast choices were pretty good for a standard free hotel breakfast. Waffles, two to three hot egg or meat choices, oatmeal, fruit salad, coffee. The breakfast hostess was very welcoming and eager to assist. Housekeeping kept the hotel immaculately clean, although they start cleaning rooms later in the day --this may be inconvenient for those that wish to stay in their room in the early to mid afternoon.

I have a few small quibbles with the hotel. I'm a younger business traveler whom is on the road about 75-90 days each year. I have my preferred hotels in the province that I choose for value, service and quiet. During my stay, my floor was overrun by families. Other than them bouncing between rooms on a mildly irritating basis, they didn't make any more noise than I would expect from any reasonable family --nevertheless, the hotel soundproofing could be better as I heard children's laughter from the adjacent room quite audibly and could hear entire conversations outside.

My other small issue is that the hotel's internet is not password protected or encrypted. While the convenience factor is great for casual users, I did not feel secure enough to log in to my work network.

The Country Inn is probably the best value choice in the Calgary airport area. I have stayed in almost every 2.5 star level or higher hotel in the area and think this hotel offers the best value, with free parking, internet and breakfast. It is also about $10-20 less than similar hotels in the area. Staff were lovely during my stay, but (in my opinion) there are about three other hotels in the area that offer a bit more service and truly excel at meeting and exceeding guest standards. It is a perfect for families or individuals that want slightly better accommodation than the Travelodge and Motel 6s of the world. However, the noise from the groups of families was irritating to me --they could have been quieter but there does seem to be a lack of noise proofing. I don't think it's an issue the hotel can address at this point but it is worth noting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lincolnshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites, Calgary for one night at the end of a wonderful holiday in Canada before flying back to the UK. The checking in process was very smooth, quick and extremely friendly. We were delighted that we had been upgraded to a suite – just one of those things our friendly receptionist told us.

The suite was very spacious and spotlessly clean with all the amenities that you could wish for. All in all, very comfortable.

After settling in and on the way out for the evening, we had some questions about visiting Calgary Zoo the following day. These were comprehensively answered, in fact they answered them before I could ask anticipating each of them which included giving me a business card with the hotel’s address for the taxi driver!

There was a great complimentary buffet breakfast with a good choice of cereals, pastries and all sorts of things. The icing on the cake was the complimentary shuttle to the airport.

Overall, excellent – very helpful and genuinely friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Stouffville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the night before a flight out of Calgary. The staff when I checked in were extremely friendly, they upgraded my room to a suite since I'm a Club Carlson member, called my room to make sure everything was okay -- they couldn't have been more attentive. Room was up-to-date, quiet and comfortable. They have a very large breakfast area with a wonderful assortment of hot and cold items. I believe they have a shuttle to airport, but I had a car rental and it took me less than 15 minutes to drive to the airport the next morning. I would recommend this hotel. There is a Chili's restaurant next door, and there was a menu in the room indicating that Chili's will provide room service. The hotel is close to a busy road, but far enough off that I didn't hear traffic. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
southern alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We loved our stay here, were there only one night. It was quiet, all the staff were really nice, the pool is open late, the breakfast was great! Loved the waffles! Bed was very comfortable. I booked this hotel through hotwire which is always a gamble but paid off big this time! The exercise room was nice as well and they have coffee and tea in the front area all day long. It's in a good location, we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel works hard to make you feel welcome and is friendly. The front desk, the room, work out facilities, pool and hot tub were pleasing. Breakfast the next morning was expansive and the atmosphere had the guests chatting together. Well done - I look forward to staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I arrived at the Inn on Sunday evening. While the clerk had some difficulty locating my reservation, and had me wondering if I had made a mistake, this was the only glitch and the rest of the staff made my stay wonderful. Of particular note, the subsequent front counter clerk, Keli, was in a word AWESOME. Taxi reservations without question ( and all 5 minutes early - wow!! ), recommendations on restaurants and generally making guests feel welcome, important and appreciated.

The cleaning staff were always busy but took the time to be friendly and cordial.

My room was comfortable and clean. Chili's room service was spectacular, my food delivered in 10 minutes - unheard of before this stay. The food was absolutely delicious. Thank you Chili's Staff!!!

I will return to Calgary and absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fernie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed 15+ times at the Country Inn and Suites in the last year and a half and generally the hotel and service meet or exceed my expectations.

Upon my arrival (8pm), I asked if I could get an upgrade to a suite (for an extra charge of course), to which Stephen replied "We usually save our upgrades for our corporate guests". Now most people wouldn't be offended by that, but I was, mostly due to the fact that yes I do get a discounted rate but that should not exempt me from the upgrade. Second of all, when booking online I am always offered an upgrade, which I accept and usually receive upon arrival. NOW I decided to keep my cool at check in and to further investigate upon check out. Upon check out I spoke to Keith and asked him if there had been any of the room types available that I wanted available the night before, to which he replied yes. I specifically request a suite because my boyfriend snores really loud and sometimes the extra room allows me to get some sleep if the ear plugs aren't enough (this time sleep didn't happen).

On top of that situation I had called about the hours of room service and got a reply of "Room service in regards to housekeeping since we don't have a restaurant." To which I reply "No Chili's the restaurant next door that your do room service with". (They've offered the service for just about a year.) I ask the gentleman on the other line for the hours of the room service and he says "I think it's 10pm on weekdays and 12 on weekends". I ask "So you think", he says "Yes I'm not sure". Well buddy how about you go find out for me since after all that's your job!

I've worked in the hospitality industry for a long time and I know that you do everything in your power to make the guests stay memorable and offer to fix any problems that arise. I felt like Stephen just finds my stays an annoyance to his day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us in Calgary.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the service this past stay to be up to the level that you have come to expect from us. I apologize that the E-standby upgrade option was not made available to you on your recent booking and will be certain to investigate why this situation occurred.

If you would like to discuss this personally with me please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We appreciate the feedback as it only helps us improve the level of service and accommodations we provide all of our guests.

Warmest Regards,

Leanne Shaw-Brotherston

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport? Share your experiences!