“Great hotel, but service can be hit or miss” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2481 39th Ave NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 8V8, Canada (Northeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #25 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Fernie, Canada
“Great hotel, but service can be hit or miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've stayed 15+ times at the Country Inn and Suites in the last year and a half and generally the hotel and service meet or exceed my expectations.

Upon my arrival (8pm), I asked if I could get an upgrade to a suite (for an extra charge of course), to which Stephen replied "We usually save our upgrades for our corporate guests". Now most people wouldn't be offended by that, but I was, mostly due to the fact that yes I do get a discounted rate but that should not exempt me from the upgrade. Second of all, when booking online I am always offered an upgrade, which I accept and usually receive upon arrival. NOW I decided to keep my cool at check in and to further investigate upon check out. Upon check out I spoke to Keith and asked him if there had been any of the room types available that I wanted available the night before, to which he replied yes. I specifically request a suite because my boyfriend snores really loud and sometimes the extra room allows me to get some sleep if the ear plugs aren't enough (this time sleep didn't happen).

On top of that situation I had called about the hours of room service and got a reply of "Room service in regards to housekeeping since we don't have a restaurant." To which I reply "No Chili's the restaurant next door that your do room service with". (They've offered the service for just about a year.) I ask the gentleman on the other line for the hours of the room service and he says "I think it's 10pm on weekdays and 12 on weekends". I ask "So you think", he says "Yes I'm not sure". Well buddy how about you go find out for me since after all that's your job!

I've worked in the hospitality industry for a long time and I know that you do everything in your power to make the guests stay memorable and offer to fix any problems that arise. I felt like Stephen just finds my stays an annoyance to his day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us in Calgary.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the service this past stay to be up to the level that you have come to expect from us. I apologize that the E-standby upgrade option was not made available to you on your recent booking and will be certain to investigate why this situation occurred.

If you would like to discuss this personally with me please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We appreciate the feedback as it only helps us improve the level of service and accommodations we provide all of our guests.

Leanne Shaw-Brotherston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

On arrival at Calgary we phoned the hotel from a courtesy phone the shuttle took around 20mins to arrive,and the hotel is a 15/20 mins drive away around the other side of the Airport.The receptionist was friendly and told us hot tea / coffee was available and cookies, or coffee machine in our room.There is a hot tub outside but we were to tired to bother.
The room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable,and good blackout curtains.I had asked for a quiet room and was given one,there is a busy road along one side of the hotel.
Breakfast was good ,not lots of cooked options ,but making your own fresh waffle was fun ,and the staff were very good filling up juices ,cereals etc.
We had a good sleep and breakfast, and took the shuttle back to the airport the next day to collect our hire car.A good stay,all the staff were great.

Room Tip: A room away from the main road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you for taking the time to post a reivew on your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room to be clean comfortable and the beds to be comfy, all the most important pieces to a good night's sleep!

We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and that your stay in Canada was memorable!

saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed twice once at the beginning on once at the end of our trip and were able to leave our vehicle there while out of the country. The rooms were spotless, very well maintained and the desk staff were super friendly. We received a call shortly after check in to make sure we were happy with the room and that level of service was maintained throughout our stay. Breakfast was great and again, everything spotless. Although the decor is a little tiny bit dated, the hotel understands completely how to make a guest very very happy. I would give this hotel a 9.9 out of 10.

Room Tip: The rooms on the main floor are quiet and comfortable, the west end of the hotel is quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind review of our hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our Parking package while you were out of the country.

Your compliments on the service our staff provided are most kind and it will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our team.

We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you though Calgary.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel was booked as an overnight for a late arrival for me, then travelling onto Banff the following day.

I checked in very late at night, and was greeted with a smile. Check in was very fast and efficient. My room was on the first floor.

The room was well appointed and set up well for a business traveller. Free wi-fi, breakfast and parking! Rooms had very clean modern linens on the bed. Extremely comfortable sleeps.

Breakfast was ample - so much available. Waffles, french toast, fresh fruit, all sorts of breads, fruits, cereals and many other goodies! So much, I would be suprised if anyone complained!

Very modern, fresh, and clean. A bit off the beaten path - but easy to find. Enjoyed my stay and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us in Calgary.

We are happy to see that you found the hotel to be the perfect stop over for a late night arrival into Calgary and had the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary breakfast buffet before heading off to Banff.

Again thank you for your time in posting a review and we hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Calgary.

edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

HELLO,

We stayed at this hotel for one evening. It was a great hotel nice and clean.Friendly service,rooms were superb. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever had. The hotel was kept very nice and clean. The cjeck in was very effcient and the lady was awesome. Beds oh so comfy.. OVER ALL FANTASTIC STAY!!! Will stay again

Room Tip: Hot tub awesome a must after a long day Petes drive in not so good.Milkshakes great but Id rather...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very kind review of our hotel and your experience with us in August.

We are delighted to hear that you were so pleased with your stay and look forward to having you as our guests again next time you are in Calgary!

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed her for one night, the hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. We didn't use the pool or fitness center but they looked nice. The breakfast in the morning was quite good with sausages, make your own waffle, pancakes and much more! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you want to be close to the airport. The delicious cookies in the lobby were an amazing touch! I was also very impressed that, when my husband left his shorts in the room, we called the next day and they mailed them to us right away, great customer service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us in August.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the cookies at the front desk!

Hopefully next time you are with us you will have the opportunity to use the pool and fitness facilities.

Again thank you for your time and feedback and we look forward to having you as our guests next time your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was pretty much as an airport hotel should be: has a shuttle, a pool, and breakfast. Also, it was clean, which was a welcome respite from the place we’d stayed in the night before (see another of my August 2012 reviews).

Breakfast is a huge deal for us when travelling with the offspring, and even though we showed up a few minutes before the official starting time of 6 am, the woman working there was awesome and never made us feel unwelcome. Fruit, toast, cereal, eggs, etc. etc. etc.; it was great.

The woman working the night shift when we checked in was by herself and though I would have loved it to have taken less time, her computers were down and she was doing everything she could to make it quick and I salute her for that.

The only negatives I can think of are
a) Not much food & drink to choose from in the neighbourhood when you arrive late at night. Maybe I just wish every hotel was next door to Denny’s.
b) The shuttle place at the airport didn’t seem to be marked too well, though that’s on YYC and not on this hotel.
c) The guy at the desk next to us got shut out on the shuttle for two time slots and had to take a cab. Again, not the hotel’s problem but something to be aware of, particularly if you’re checking in late.

I’d definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your time in posting a review following your stay with us this summer.

I am very pleased to read that you found us to be a welcome respite from a negative experience at another hotel.

For future reference I am happy to say that we offer room service from the Chili’s Restaurant next door so you do not have to venture beyond the hotel for a late evening meal.

Thank you again for your time and feedback and we hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Leanne Shaw-Brotherston

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary Airport? Share your experiences!