“Very noisy room, no compensation?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Riverside Inn

You added Kensington Riverside Inn to your Saves list
Kensington Riverside Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1126 Memorial Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 3E3, Canada (Hillurst)   |
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nelson
“Very noisy room, no compensation?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Well, the service was fantastic overall.
The problem is that at 4 am the f=guest in the room above mine must have decided to do a fitness workout. I mean it was so loud that after a half hour I rang the front desk to complain. It continued for another half hour. Traveling on business with a early appointment this was very unpleasant stay.
No compensation was offered and obviously nothing was done about it at the time. There were cob webs in the pot light which sort of leads one to believe the attention to detail from the cleaning staff has slid down hill.

Room Tip: Only book a second floor room here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Good morning, and thank you for your honest feedback. Here at the Kensington Riverside Inn we are constantly striving to improve our services and amenities in order to ensure you, our valued guests, become advocates of the Inn. I welcome you to contact me directly the next time your travels bring you back to Calgary, in the hopes that I can ensure we provide you with a most memorable stay, leaving you with a positive impression and a reason to write a positive review.

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is a small boutique hotel with all the amenities.. Easy access to the city just over the river and there is a great little community just behind the hotel. The rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. There is convenient self parking underneath the hotel. The restaurant is excellent although maybe a little pricey, however a full menu breakfast was free. We were there two nights and when returning to Calgary this is the spot for us. The staff could not have been nicer. Often it seemed like we had the place to ourselves as it is small and maybe undiscovered.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have a soft spot for the Kensington Riverside Inn since I used to live in the neighbourhood and love the area. The Kensington Riverside or KRI is a very pleasant boutique style hotel in a fantastic neighbourhood with lots to offer the business traveller or those in town for a weekend.

For the business traveller, with good shoes you can walk to the downtown core, or take a cab for under 20 dollars to most of downtown. Running paths are steps outside the KRI door and there is a host of activity within walking distance to satisfy your evening social needs. The downside for the business traveller is the distinct lack of electrical outlets and adequate working space in a hotel that was designed to be a bit of a romantic get away. The installation of a reachable power bar behind each bed would go a long way for those of us who want or need to work in the evenings while watching the telly. The small desk beside an immobile flat screen just doesn't do the same job. And, to be honest, the free internet is frustrating to use, requires multiple log ins (nearly constantly) and has a very very weak signal. Needs to be upgraded.

For the weekend away person, the ambiance of the hotel is good, but folks it is time for an update of those carpets. The luxury of the modern atmosphere in the main lobby is immediately spoiled by the sad state of the upstairs carpeting. From hallways to guest rooms, the condition of the carpeting has deteriorated to a sadly detracting vision. Even I found it hard to overlook. Additionally, the shower head in my room ( a different room and the same problem from my last stay), generated one of those frustrating circles of water with nothing in the middle that leaves one annoyed rather than refreshed. It is difficult to have a satisfying shower when trying to arrange oneself to stand under the running part of the water.

Beds are super comfortable, I had no issue with the pillows. The fireplace is a wonderful addition for winter stays. Free bottled water in the room had good appeal.

The restaurant at the KRI is heavenly. Breakfast is included in your room rate and you would be foolish not to take advantage. Really good, made to order and done in reasonable time. Excellent coffee. Similarly, evening service boasts wonderful food but be warned about exorbitant prices. Don't say I didn't warn you. Wine on the patio while working on a presentation was particularly enjoyable with friendly, knowledgeable and efficient servers. Dare I say there are other excellent and cheaper places to go in the immediate neighbourhood if you don't have work to do....

A note about the parking. I have noted a lot of complaints about the parking. KRI has a small underground parking lot at a rate of less than 20 dollars a day. Yes, it is small but your vehicle will fit in and you can access your trunk and doors without getting smeared. It is underground and heated and if you stay in Calgary in winter, you will really appreciate it. The rate is substantially lower than all other parking in the city, street or otherwise. If all you have to complain about is a small parking structure, you shouldn't be writing reviews.

Staff service and attitude I found to be exemplary, including lending me paperclips for a presentation I was preparing (no they didn't want them back!)...

Overall, I will stay here again but will be very glad when there is a firm date on carpet replacement. KRI, we want you to look as beautiful as you feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not over the kitchen.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We found the Kensington Riverside Inn to be a great place to stay. The room was big and spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed was amazing! All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great too.

White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The public areas on the main floor are clean and well appointed. The 2nd floor corridor carpet was stained and in need of refurbishing. The room finishes varied from stained to threadbare. Definetly not a luxury accommodation.
The saving grace would be the location and the excellent breakfasts which were included in our room rate.
Be aware that the parking is not free and you may not be informed of this in advance. Also, definetly follow up on the status of your reservations to avoid surprises.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for your honest and constructive feedback on your recent stay here at the Inn. Your feedback and perspective will help us to grow and improve as we move into the future, and ensure that all of our guests’ have a most enjoyable and memorable experience. I will be sure to let both our breakfast Chef and server know how much you enjoyed breakfast, as well as the service staff throughout the Inn. They take great pride and ownership in ensuring each of our guests feel special and at home, and I am glad to hear they handled the mix up with the original reservation in a professional and efficient manner. As for parking, we have only recently started charging for this service and as such, realize some guests would have booked prior to that date and we will continue to honor complimentary parking in such cases. I will ensure our staff remember to mention the charge so all guests are well-informed prior to their departure.
As for the guest rooms and public hallways on the second floor, I am well aware of the concerns you mentioned and apologize for their general appearance. We are currently finalizing a large-scale renovation project that will see all of our guest rooms and hallways receive a complete facelift, including window coverings, carpet, wall coverings, bathrooms and furniture. We are very excited and hopeful that by the end of 2011 we will have a product deserving of the star-rating given to properties such as the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and other similar properties. When next your travels bring you back to Calgary, please feel free to contact me directly and allow me the opportunity to change your impression of the Kensington Riverside Inn.

Yours in Hospitality,
Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel was amazing and I felt so luxurious. Staff were incredibly friendly and accomodating, they even brought us ice! The room was filled with antiques right down to the beautiful silver garbage can and soap holder. The restaurant was delicious and the staff were lovely. The best thing was that the hotel was right down town, we sat on the balcony in the morning and had coffee over looking the bow river, and night caps in the evening. Beautiful and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The suites with balconies are well worth it (fire place, king bed, hot tub)
Terrace, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My first impression when I arrived at the Inn was that it wasn't what I was expecting at all! From the website photos, I had pictured more of a traditional feel. The reception area/front desk and restaurant were decorated in a modern style but it was tasteful, just not what I was expecting.

I was asked how I liked my morning coffee then lead to my room and given instructions on how to use the fireplace and other room features. The service was a nice touch. That evening I ordered the mushroom risotto from Chef's Table restaurant and enjoyed it with a glass of wine on the patio off of the room. The food was DIVINE! Unfortunately my schedule didn't permit another chance to eat at the restaurant, but I would look forward to coming back to do just that.

The important aspects of the room were looked after. The bed was very comfortable and I had about 5 pillows on the king-sized bed of varying levels of firmness to choose from which was great! Soft music was always playing when I returned to the hotel after housekeeping had been through. In the morning, I would wake up to have coffee and the newspaper ready for me at my door (and the coffee was well made).

After work one night, I was in a rush and asked if I could purchase a bottle of wine from the restaurant to take with me to a friend's home for dinner. I selected a bottle of french white (I frustratingly can't recall the name) and one of the staff brought it to me with a bag to carry it in. The only reason I mention this is that the wine was so good, my hosts commented on my selection. By having an excellent wine list to begin with, the hotel made it easy for me. I appreciated that!

I selected this Inn mostly for its location. The ability to walk around Kensington and downtown without having to be in a hotel located in the busy downtown core was great.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay; I'm just not sure that my wallet did! However, the food, the service, the location and the extra touches will most likely bring me back. From here you get to experience some of Calgary's lesser known but fantastic qualities - the beautiful winding river and the walking trails, the small independently-owned shops, as well as the things that Calgary is better known for such as the friendly people and the expansive sunny, blue skies!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kensington Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!