“One of the worst hotels in operation” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$75 SHOPPING GIFT CARD
Ranked #24 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Minneapolis, MN
“One of the worst hotels in operation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

My non-smoking 2-bedroom suite reservation was made over 6 months before my trip. I was given a key to the 3rd floor, which is smoke-mania. I called the front desk, said I'm allergic to smoke. Their reply "that's all we have - our hotel is full" (and this was for $175/night). I called Travelocity, through which I'd made the reservation - it took them 20 minutes to convince the front desk to move me. I was given a room with 1 bed, and no change in rate - and told I would have to move to a different room half way through my week's stay. At least there was no smoke, but cramped for my family of 4. The reservation I made for 2 male co-workers (a room with 2 beds) - they were given a room with 1 bed. The front desk response? "That's all we have - our hotel is full." They absolutely did not care. The fitness center contains a universal set and 3 pieces of equipment. Two of the pieces didn't work during my entire week stay. The hotel room was dirty, dusty, mildewy, moldy, and run down. There was toothpaste stuck around the sink when I arrived (the previous tenant? a tenant from last year?) Gross! The toilet tank had stuff chipping and flaking off the back that kept dropping to the floor. The entire hotel is tired, sad, and old. Right behind the hotel, in plain sight, hookers walk the corner. My husband was solicited, as well as both my 20 and 17 year old sons. It rained, and the window and ceiling had a steady leak under which I placed bath towels. After an hour the towels were soaked. I'd called maintenance, and was told they know all about the problem. They brought me a bundle of rags to use in place of the towels. They apparently are on a long wait list for contractors to fix the problem. And I was told the leak in my room was nothing compared to some others! I looked up at the ceiling and could see where they kept painting over the leak. The whole place reeked of mildew. A disgusting hotel . Terrible front desk employees.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

I just wanted to write a review to let everyone know I just got in on a flight from out of town. I had a reservation confirmed with this hotel and an actual confirmation number for a guaranteed late arrival. The Hotel sold my room reservation before I arrived. I am now sitting in the lobby while they are trying to find another hotel for me and they are not having much luck.
So I would reccommend any other hotel than this one. Very dissapponted. Go elsewhere!

Stayed April 2006
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

stayed there for 2 weeks when I first moved to Calgary, It was just great, great service, and overall everything was just perfect

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

Stayed over a long weekend for a convention. I live in the same city but had to stay with the other conventioners. The hotel is outdated and appears to have been last renovated in the eighties. I stayed in a suite that had everything I needed. It was on the 24th floor and way to high up for me so if you are afraid of heights, ask for a room lower down. The pool and hot tub were a bit icky and old and there were lots of kids splashing around playing water polo so I couldn't relax in there. The nightlife is dead in the hotel's location of downtown Calgary, but you can walk a few blocks away and dine on Stephen Avenue. It's usually quite safe to venture around Calgary. They have been recently renovating, so maybe the hotel can get a much needed facelift. It served it's purpose for a convention.

Vancouver BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

A great location in the heart of Calgary. Close to Princess island and the downtown core. All rooms are large suites with separate bedrooms, 2 TVs seating room.
Needs major updating as it is starting to get a little tired. Good value if you want space and location.
The goat cheese omelet in the restaurant is very good.
Be prepared to pay for high speed internet (it should be included in the price.
Try to get a room that faces Princess Island as it will be quieter.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

This hotel was terrible. The room was very old and not very clean. Housekeeping was very poor. Although it had a sliding door, it was almost impossible to open it. There was no air conditioning in the front room, and the air conditioning units in the bedrooms were very loud, making it difficult to sleep. We will definitely NOT stay here again. By the way, if you go during Stampede, do NOT take the train at night, take a cab. The train is overcrowded (with people fainting from the heat and smell) and a cab is just as inexpensive.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

We stayed at the International Hotel, 4th Ave SW, Calgary in August 2005 (2 nights and then 3 nights). We had a 2 roomed kitchen suite on the 8th floor. Our family consists of 2 adults, 1 4 year old and a 10 month old.

This hotel gets 4 stars from us for having so much space in the suite - 2 bedrooms and a living area and a small kitchen (sink, stove, microwave, large refridgerator with small freezer section) for CA $159 a night! It doesn't get any better for family hotel travel than that!

There is construction work underway (which we weren't informed about prior to arrival) as they connect the hotel to the Plus 15 inside covered walkway that accesses most hotels / offices / malls in downtown Calgary.
At one point you could not leave via the front entrance but had to make your way up a small flight of stairs, past the gift shop and down stairs to the parking garage. We struggled with a stroller so you wouldn't be able to do it with a wheelchair. But the main entrance was open again after the weekend. Also there was building work going on behind the hotel but you couldn't hear it at all - my eldest loved to watch the 2 cranes moving!

The rooms are dull in decor, and there is a little wear but its clean and the staff are bright and friendly. One complaint - it says on their website that a Babysitting Service is available - when we asked about it we were given a list of 3 agencies they had used and told to look in the Yellow Pages for more. Needless to say we didn't use any - I want someone that the hotel either employs or uses on a regular basis!

As a kitchen suite, you will need to find a grocery store - nearest convenience store is further along 4th avenue towards Eau Claire market, and there is a big Safeway south on 11th & 8th Avenue.

Parkign is beneath the hotel and plentiful. Its CA$10/day charged from 6pm to 6pm daily.

The room service menu is very good and reasonably priced. Hot and fast delivery! CA$2 added per order.

The hotel is within easy access of most downtown attractions - about 25 min walk to the Tower; 15 minutes to the US Consulate; 5 mins to Eau Claire market; 5 mins to China district; 10 mins to Avis car rental. These are all times with a stroller & 4 year in tow!

Travelling as a family, we would defintely stay in this hotel again.

Been to International Hotel Calgary? Share your experiences!