“Loads of space” 4 of 5 stars
Review of International Hotel Calgary

You added International Hotel Calgary to your Saves list
International Hotel Calgary
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   220 4th Ave SW | Alberta, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0H5, Canada   |
Special Offer
Spring Weekend Savings
Ranked #24 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Geelong, Australia
“Loads of space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

A big, spacious suite, most likely suited to those staying at least a few days (including those on business). Good room facilities and unlike many of the more expensive hotels we stayed out throughout Vancouver, Banff and Lake Louise, it included air conditioning. While not in the heart of the tourist precinct for dining, it was an easy walk away. Free wi-fi on weekends, but not during the week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Stony Plain, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

the room was amazing! closed to transit 8 ave had great pubs overall great hotel. don't go if you like to swim. the pool looked like a dungeon.. in the basement very tiny with no decor only 2 plastic chairs and table. room was spotless and had a great view. overall a good experience.

• Stayed August 2012
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Good location 15min walk from Stephen Ave. and 10min from the Prince's Island park. Our suit was well laid out with a good sized lounge/dinning area and bedroom. We found the bed very comfortable, but founded it difficult to sleep due to being to warm. The positioning of the air conditioning in the lounge did not allow the bedroom to share the cooling affects. The staff was friendly and helpful. But we found the concierge service offered rather disappointing. Best to use the tourist information service at the base of the Calgary Tower or the internet through the business centre.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a 30+ floor tower suite hotel in the downtown core. My room was quite spacious with a separate bedroom, living room & dining area. It had the conveniences of a coffeemaker, microwave, large dining table, in room safe, iron & board.On the surface the room was clean, however noticed a bit of dust build up mingled with crumbs on the carpet behind the bed while I was setting the clock alarm, the windows definitely needed cleaning on the outside, and just a touch of bathroom tile mould detracted from the over-all product.

Even though the rooms were comfortable enough, and the furnishings were in new condition, the very bland colour scheme of all the decor gave the room an old & tired look. Just a bit of contrasting and/or splashes of a bright colour would make all the difference. I also found it odd that the twin room I was given, actually had two twin sized beds....NOT even doubles. I haven't slept in a twin bed since I was a child a few decades ago. However, it was a very comfortable bed, so I'm not complaining but it may not be suitable for super sized people and there was a large sized bed (not a cot) stored on it's side in a hall closet, another oddity.

However, the convenient location to the meeting I was attending & the very attractive corporate rate I was given out weighed the minor flaws. I most likely will stay here next time I'm in Calgary and will hopefully get a chance then to try the exercise room or pool. The restaurant for dinner was not bad, a couple of fruit flies were a bit annoying.

I didn't find the bathroom as terribly cramped as others, but then I was travelling solo and didn't have to share. Out of the 4 hotels I have stayed at in this area, I do feel that for the price (under $200) the International was very good value. I have had to pay over $300 in Calgary for a comparable hotel -and for that reason I'm giving an overall 4 rating. When you weigh all the pros and cons, it is a comfortable, large, fairly clean room at a great price.

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor - at the back side of the hotel and slept like a baby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Alberta. Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, and once again, overall, it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were friendly, and the lobby itself was modern and clean. We were welcomed immediately by a young man, who was very friendly, and he gave us two free drink vouchers to use at their bar, which we did the following night. He was a great first impression. Check in was literally two minutes and provided with a smile.

The room was large with a huge bed with the most comfy bedding ever. I found the bed to be comfy, and I love the downfilled bedding. Unfortunately, the room cleaning was not so great this year. Last year, we were left chocolates on the bed with some more tea, but this year, nothing. It barely looked like the room had been touched, which was a tad disappointing. There was a small kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave, kettle and coffee maker but no cutlery, but that didn't much matter to us as we always eat out. Dining room had places for 6 peeps, so I guess if we had company over, we would have been set. LOL.

When I booked over the phone, I had asked for a higher floor since I know it to be quieter. I don't really consider the 10th floor of a building with at least 25 floors to be high, but in all fairness, I didn't specify the room to be a certain level.

Since we stayed over the weekend, the parking was free. Otherwise, we probably would not have stayed there as I have read it is pretty pricy to park.

Oh, this time, we got free vouchers for breakfast, and wow, both mornings, we feasted! The lady who was working there was so professional and friendly, but the male worker, wow, he actually laid his down on the table and closed his eyes! He clearly did not want to be working there at all. However, the food was fresh and plentiful. We had choice of different cereals, different fruits (cherries, pineapple, oranges, apples, plums) and breads, eggs, bacon, potatoes... so good!

Again, the balcony could have done with a sweep and removal of pigeon poop, but all in all, it's really a great place to stay.

We will PROBABLY return next year.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The International Hotel in downtown Calgary is an okay hotel. The best feature of the hotel is the location so if you have to go to Calgary for meetings, you're within walking distance of pretty much every major office building int he downtown core. That also means you're within walking distance of a lot of steak houses and sushi joints.

I checked in with my husband. Instead of the king sized bed, we got two singles. The front desk told us that they couldn't accomdate us because they were filled. We did get a verbal apology. The beds were comfortable and clean. The room was dated but again very clean. There was parking for an additional fee - there is no such thing as free parking in Calgary so be warned. The other annoying matter - the elevators were dreadfully slow. I don't know why but it would take up to five minutes to get an elevator even when there was no one else around.

As an added note - don't bother with the breakfast they serve in house. It's dreadful. You'll be much better off just grabbing something from one of the millions of vendors out there. It will be freshher and certainly less greasy.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room as far away from the elevator as possible. It's a lot quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have stayed at the International several times now and would recommend it to anyone. People that have stayed there on our reccomendation have let us know they also enjoyed both the friendly staff and the great location in Calgary. The hotel is very central to downtown and you can leave your car (free parking) and walk anywhere you wish in the core of the city. It is only a couple of blocks either way to Prince's Island (a nice relaxing park) and the Eau Claire Market or a few blocks in the other direction to Stephen Avenue walk which is traffic free and has many great restaurants and shops.
Our room was huge and had a seperate bedroom and a large dining table. The bed was extremley comfortable and the breakfast in the restaurant was delicious.
There is no doubt for the money, this hotel is an excellent choice for your stay in Calgary for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The king suite is a bargain and has tons of space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to International Hotel Calgary? Share your experiences!