“Discusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre

You added Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2120-16th Avenue NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 1L4, Canada (Northeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #70 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Discusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is discusting it has an odour that is unbelievable. I could not sleep because of it. I ordered a jacuzzi suite. I had to move twice since the staff didnt no what room that was. The refrigerator must have not been cleaned in years the stench made me gag. Honestly would have been better off in a tent . Nastyyyyyyyy

• Stayed November 2013
Jason S, Front Office Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Valued guest:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay, making it a less than perfect experience. We take your comments seriously and we have addressed your concerns with the appropriate departments.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Prince George, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel came up on hotwire as equal to the holiday inn across the street. This hotel is far inferior, we stayed in both to and from our Mexican vacation. In the Clarion the wall paper was peeling, the carpets old, stained and outdated. And the beds should have been replaced a long time ago. There are impressions in the mattress were bodies have compressed the mattress. The airport shuttle was a 20min wait and then took us on a tour to the private airport. The driver was texting while driving! The front lobby is nice but the receptionist was a little confused and we took at least 15 min to check in. If you are on a budget cross the street and stay at the holiday inn!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very sorry that this was the experience you had while staying with us. This is not our usual standard and I can assure you that I have reviewed your feedback with our team so that we may improve. Once again my sincere apologies and we hope that you will try us again and give us an opportunity to provide you and your family with a better experience. Our hotel is also under new ownership and they have plans to have our hotel fully renovated within the next 18 months. We are looking forward to this and hope that you will come back to see us after these changes have taken place.
Kind regards
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The front staff were excellent but it went down hill from there. As soon as I stepped off the elevator on my floor, there was a dusty, or some kind of odor. Walls were banged in. When I entered my room, it smelled like old fabric that hasn't been washed or dry cleaned in years. Décor is dated to be kind, like 70's or 80's, wallpaper peeling in the bathroom, tub surface is peeling, lots of grunge between the tiles in corners and in the tub area. What else can be said? Oh, the dial a bed mattress is horrible. It's either so hard or it feels like you're sleeping in a trough. The highway traffic is non-stop, nothing can be done about the location but if the interior was better, that could be overlooked. They do have decent flat screens and channel selections though.
In the two nights there, a fridge and microwave were parked in the hall. No one bothered to move them. The hotel needs a complete overhaul. I don't know if they run the attached restaurant but it was less than stellar. Grumpy waitress for breakfast service, way to much money for what they served. Went to Denny's next morning.
Definitely a no to a second stay. Would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback.
Our establishment is currently under new ownership and they have planned to have fully renovated within the next 18 months. We want to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however should you change your mind and decide to stay with us after the upgrade and renovations we would appreciate your business and any critisim you may have at that time and we will strive to make your stay with us a pleasant one.

Morden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel faces the airport and a busy highway so both sides are very noisy. Average rooms, average shower, horrible beds! We were told they were replacing these beds last year when they were the Radisson, but they still have these dial-a-number beds that leak. When we checked in, there were dishes left on trays in the hallway (3 pm Friday). At 1 pm Saturday, same dishes still sitting there Convention facilities are nice, need more frequent checks of the restrooms - yuck! Front desk staff is understanding, but needs more cooperation from other staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. Our hotel is currently under new ownership and they have plans to have the hotel fully renovated within the next 18 months which will definitely make a difference to the comfort and quality of our hotel. I apologize that you did not enjoy the bed in your room. A lot of our rooms have the Sleep Number beds however we have a large number of rooms without them. Should you decide to stay with us again please request that you do not have a Sleep Number bed to see if that suits your comfort level. We appreciate your business here at The Clarion and hope to see you in the near future.

Kind Regards.
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked a family room. I was a very good size. Had plenty of room for everyone. We faced 16 Ave. It is really very noisy from traffic on the sixth floor. The do not offer a breakfast with the room. There is a restaurant on site. The check out is noon, which is nice if you wish to sleep in. I would just like to say when you are booked for 4 people, please leave coffee and all else for 4 people. We hate having to ask for extra to be delivered, or chasing down housekeeping for more.
Would we stay again.......yes probably.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our family suite. Having sufficient supplies in your room based on the number of people per room is something that can definitely make your stay more accommodating and it is a suggestion that we will pass on to our Housekeeping staff, we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Thank you for deciding to stay with us here at The Clarion and we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Formerly the Crossroads, this Inn is billed as an airport hotel, but it is a good distance from the airport. In the days when Barlow Trail was a route to the airport it was relatively convenient; however with that access route now closed it is hard to see how it can be billed as an airport hotel (except for the much appreciated free shuttle). With a car one could get around Calgary but on foot there was nowhere to go but the Denny's across the road.

Although the lobby looks pleasant the rooms are disappointing. The surface was patchy in the bath, and the general decor was tired and in need of refreshing. There was no fridge etc as advertised ("in some rooms", I noticed later). I had a good view but the hotel is right by a major route and the traffic noise started very early.

A pleasant surprise was the dining room, where the breakfast and lunch options were wholesome and very tasty. The staff in general were efficient and friendly.

The main convention room we used was above the dining room, and there appeared to be no access other than by climbing two flights of stairs. I didn't inquire but one wonders about accessibility for those with mobility problems. The dining room itself was up a short flight of stairs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. We want to apologize for the inconvenience that our loacation in the city may have caused during your stay. Our hotel was formerly billed as an Airport hotel however with recent rebranding and new ownership we have taken that bill off of our name due to this fact. The online sites however have not updated fully which is deceiving for first time guests as well so again we would like to apologize.
The Skyline room, the room in which you attended your meeting does in fact have other means of access other than the stairs which is via a staff elevator that is used in the case of persons that have difficulties with mobility. We want to apologize for any information that was not relayed to you during your stay and should you decide to stay with us again we will be more than happy to answer any additional questions or address any other concerns you may have.

Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I booked one night here and it was awful! The check-in was fast and efficient (I was checked in by the manager Karan), which was great; however, when I went to get a shower, I realized the hot water tap was jammed shut. I called downstairs twice to have someone fix but nobody came over a period of 45 minutes. I finally had to go to the desk around 1030 and confront the same female clerk that I'd spoken to twice on the phone. She was less than helpful and refused to make eye contact with me. I'd even asked her if I could switch rooms and she said no because they were full. Terrible...except she asked the other clerk, Nick, to try to fix my tap. To be clear, I was very ticked but Nick was friendly and professional. He came to my room but was unable to open the tap and successfully moved me to a new room 5 minutes after his colleague said that wasn't possible. I spoke to the manager who was really good about listening to my concerns, which were: the service from the female clerk and the tub (it seemed to me that either their cleaning staff jammed the tap to stop it from leaking, which didn't work, or they couldn't have cleaned the tub after its last use because you can't clean it without hot water, and the tub was stained blue under the faucet - back to the cleanliness comment....). I didn't get into my new room until after 11 but it had a functioning shower; however, the bathroom had several strands of hair that wasn't mine - gross!

I will say that Karan (who also discounted my room) and Nick were great, and the presentation of their in-room breakfast was also great; however, the cleanliness was a BIG issue! I would NOT go back - - overall it was very frustrating...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We take all our feedback very seriousy so that we can work on preventing these issues from happening in the future. Our hotel is currently under new ownership and they have plans to have our property fully renovated within the next 18 months. Should you choose to stay with us again after this period of time as we greatly appreciate your buisness, we will strive to make your stay a much better one.

Kind Regards

Been to Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!