“Exceptional Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Calgary University

You added Aloft Calgary University to your Saves list
Aloft Calgary University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2359 Banff Trail NW, Calgary, Alberta T2M 4L2, Canada (Formerly Quality Inn University) (Northwest Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #37 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Terryville, Connecticut
“Exceptional Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The front desk staff provided the best service a hotel guest could ask for. The hotel staff knows exactly where all the close restaurants are and where to go for sight-seeing. I was greeted by my first name every morning and every evening when I returned. Near a train station, the hotel is very close to downtown Calgary and local colleges.

My favorite part? Getting a $5 hotel credit for every night I declined housekeeping services (they did continue to replenish my coffee which was great). That $5 credit fed me a delicious breakfast every morning and a candy bar for a late night snack. I wish all hotels would offer this. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have had a couple of stays here now. Good access to downtown. Service has always been A1. Aloft style is very "IKEA". Not for all but the beds are comfortable. A little bit more firm than those found at Sheraton or Westin.
Complimentary breakfast kind of underwhelming. I believe it is only free for the month of December for platinum guests.
Unique bar/lounge area with board games, pool table and many couches separated into living room style arrangements. Would be nice if travelling with a group.
On site Indian restaurant Swirl was very good and reasonable value.
Pool and fitness facilities are standard. The pool is surrounded by many lounge chairs and could be a good place to relax.
All in all very good and certainly a great alternative to $300 plus rooms found in downtown Calgary.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just an old motel refitted!! Excited to try this new place but disappointed at start when they asked for 10.00 extra to park inside and told if i was downtown i would pay more!! Well I'm not downtown and a few doors down its Free. The room was small with the king bed, Bathroom and entry floor very cold not good to wakeup too. HVAC very poor set at 74 and blowing straight at left side of bed had to switch sides with wife cause she was cold. Next time i will pay less an stay in a New Motel!!!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent place to stay!
Right by c-train station.
Clean, funky rooms.
Excellent fitness facilities that even include spin/TRX classes if you want them.

Amazing breakfast free for Starwood members. Staff even gave us a free chocolate bar :)

Marisa in housekeeping was a gem, stopped to chat with us, super friendly!

The ONLY issue was the in-room AC/heating unit (room 348) - couldn't change the angle so it was blowing directly on us the whole time, and it didn't seal to the exterior, so we were getting a -20°C draft if we were too close to it!

Stayed December 2014
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and that our team was able to make you feel comfortable and welcome throughout your stay. We hope that you will visit us again in the New Year! Take care.
Fort Mcmurray, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As part of the SPG hotels, Aloft Calgary is a good option to accumulate points by staying at a hotel that is well connected to downtown Calgary through the rail system and well as taxi. Expect to pay about $15 for a cab ride or $3 for the train ride. Other SPG hotels tend to be more expensive so if you are in a budget this may be a good option. It has a small swimming pool, a good exercise room, a nice bar and dining room. Breakfast is not that great, it's more like a grab and go type of deal, although this may be really convenient when you are in a rush. Accommodations are in like new condition.

• Stayed November 2014
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

This hotel is a great location with the Ctrain about a minute away. For cold nights like tonight, it's great that they offer underground parking for an additional price too. The room and hotel décor is lovely, with a modern and sleek feel. I was here only for two nights for business and did not get to try the pool and workout room, but they looked great. The pool changes colours too, which is neat!
If you like spin classes, there's also a spin studio located right in the hotel and offered to hotel guests, for their first time, at a discount price.
The management is friendly and fantastic. Dealt with an elephant above me the first night and decided to let it slide. The next night, yup, you guessed, the elephant returned, sounding like he was stomping back and forth in his room. Deciding I could not take one more night of this, I called the front desk just to ask them to ask said elephant to tone it down.e Of course after I called the frickin' stomping stopped!! Haha. But it was very courteous of the front desk to call me to let me know he did not hear anything on the third floor and apologized once again and offered complimentary breakfast. This is just great customer service. A definite return for me.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I recently stayed at the Aloft and have been at this property before. I travel frequently and try to stay with Starwood Hotels whenever possible. The staff are always very welcoming and I like how they recognize me and remember me when I check in. I am an SPG loyalty member as I love collecting the points and redeeming for free nights. I don’t typically eat at the restaurant but will stop by the bar for a drink which the bartenders have already waiting for me.

This trip was a bit different as there were events in the hotel, causing the hotel to be very busy. The first night the hotel bar was so busy, I think the local football team was playing… The bar had a live DJ and unfortunately as the night went on the noise seemed to only get louder. I feel the DJ should have stopped earlier in the night for those who were not at the bar and wanted to get some rest. Unfortunately there was a fire alarm very early in the morning which ended up being a mechanical device that was smoking. It was a nuisance but better to be safe than sorry and know the hotel takes this seriously. The manager of the hotel spoke with the hotel guests and I appreciated the situation being explained to me.

I enjoyed the Halloween event that was held during the second night. It was much more organized even though there seemed to be more people as the event quieted down earlier than the night before. I usually feel like I have to go downtown to a bar for a fun night out but it was nice to have the hotel host an event.

I plan on staying with this hotel again, as I love the location and the staff are welcoming. Overall I had a great stay despite the noise. Just hoping that the hotel turns the music down earlier but still continues to hold events with live music as that is what brings me to stay at the Aloft.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Aloft Calgary University? Share your experiences!