“Slum in need of a health inspection” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #86 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
regina
“Slum in need of a health inspection”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel on booking.com thinking it was going to have same high standard as Regina Howard Johnson. Wrong assumption. This place is disgusting and we got the impression it was most likely the kind of scummy establishment rented by the hour. It was supposed to be smoke free however the room reeked of smoke. There were burn marks in carpet and on bed spread. The pillow cases had mascara/make up on them not sure if stained or just not washed. We were in room only a few mins and I started coughing and getting runny nose from allergies. I did not have puffer or allergy meds and knew we would not sleep on the terribly warped matress. after hauling our stuff in room we ended up packing it all up back into car. We went to office and said we did not want to stay and described room. The old moldy dirty wall air conditioner was a disgusting health hazzard. The guy at desk said he would call manager. The manager MunMun refused to refund our money. I calledbookibg.com and they refused to help. I then called the manager directly only to be hung up on. We decided to leave anyway and cut our losses. We stayed at another hotel that night which was lovely and clean. The next morning booking.com sent email saying they were reversing the charge for the night not spent at the Howard Johnson.
Don't go there as worse than any third world lodging I have ever stayed at and manager of hotel a complete slum boss.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Crossfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked this hotel only because it was close to a casino we were going out to for my birthday. I planned to surprise my husband with it, but the staff ruined it by calling during dinner to confirm the reservation after I had already called and confirmed hours previously and specifically told them it was a surprise. They wanted $300 damage deposit and I was going to pay that with cash (CC on file, and drivers license). The employee doubled the damage deposit, and when I refused, threatened to call the cops. A gentlemen wanted to buy my room since the night was ruined I wanted to give it to him. The employee refused. The GM text me threatening me on my drive home. They refused a refund entirely.

NEVER EVER STAY they have inconsistent "policies", they're rude, unprofessional, and TBH I thought he doubled the deposit so he could steal it.

Room Tip: Sleeping outside is preferable to this place.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I booked a room at this place, and as soon as I drove up I the dark, foreboding parking lot made it difficult to find the office, let alone our room. After a not unpleasant check in we went to our room through multiple clouds of cigarette smoke, as if everyone on our level was smoking in the rooms with the widows open. The room smelled like stale body odour mixed with a freshly used! I was very sceptical about our success in having a good night here and after checking out the bedding-the pillow of which stunk like greasy hair, being obviously unwashed-we decided to leave. We were refunded our money and they cancelled the security deposit, but after reading these reviews we will definitely keep an eye on our statement!

• Stayed August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Had been on the road for 12 hours, expecting to get a good night sleep in this hotel. Being a hotelier myself - I am able to notice all things in this place. Check in was horrible, the guy at the front desk did not even bother to greet as soon as I check in and not even properly uniformed - was wearing a regular jacket as if he is going to party!As soon as we check in to our room - the smell of the room was nearly unbreatable, we thought of turning on the A/C to see if the smell will gone through, but then it became worst, the noise coming from the A/C was as loud of a beating drum!..HAve called the front desk to ask for an alternative room. The guy at the front desk mentioned they only had one room left and if I dont take it in the next 5 minutes it will be given to somebody else, and yes we did transfer but was given a much horrible room I could ever slept in. Dirty carpets, wires falling into places, towels were stained and dirty! honestly I should never been asked to pay for this room.Not becasue you made the last minute deals it means you will have the worst room ever! Will never stay here again! It is a nightmare!Dont ever book this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Conveniently located 15 minutes from Calgary downtown, this hotel is a good alternative for price conscious travelers who do not want long commutes.

The Chinook Centre is within walking distance.

Overall, a good place to stay at an affordable price.

• Stayed August 2012
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Express Calgary, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hi, thanks for reviewing us . And we hope to welcome you again & again to our location in Calgary for business & leisure . With a promise of value for money & comfortable stay .See you soon .Please drop us a line with your valuable feedback
LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked this hotel on our trip to alberta. We booked it around month before. We were shocked to know when we reach there in midnight that they have cancelled our booking with just one phone call that too 3 hours prior. How do you expect someone to be at home to take there call when you are most probably in your flight. They gave us reason that our credit card is not approved. We booked travel lodge with that car only and used that card on rest of our trip, This is cheating. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE......YOU WILL BE ON ROAD WITH NO BOOKING IN MIDNIGHT...THIS HAS NEVER EVER HAPPENED TO US......

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Please heed the warnings you read in my review as well as those posted by other reviewers. This hotel is truly disgusting on every level. My boyfriend and I sensed a revolting funky stink from the moment we stepped foot on the premises- like rotting sewage. This smell was everywhere. We were greeted by unprofessional impolite clerks (family run business- why franchises are a waste of time!) who directed us to a filthy room where the sheets were still dirty, there were bugs everywhere and the horrible stench continued.
Over the course of a 4 night stay, my boyfriend's cologne was stolen, the wifi was on and off, and the tv had only 12 channels. The breakfasts were disgusting and inedible, the rooms were hardly cleaned and the best was yet to come...!
Upon check out time, the lady at the front desk (owner's ignoramus wife?) refused to check us out because my boyfriend is black. She literally asked people behind him in line to step forward so that she could help them and continued to ignore him until he raised his voice to get service. When we returned the next night to point out the missing cologne, the husband refused to acknowledge our complaint, walked away while we were talking to him and said since he wasn't there when the "alleged" incident took place, he couldn't offer more than a heartless "sorry man."
Save your money, avoid the bugs and filth, and don't give your business to racists with no concept of customer service.

Room Tip: Choose a room at any other hotel. Hell, sleep in the park and get dirty and robbed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Express Calgary, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Hi, these events are not true & blown out of proportions After arguing with fellow guests including an elderly couple . You came back next night with a cap ,claiming it to be of the missing cologne. Which we promptly searched our lost & found . Even though, it was late night we promptly contacted house keepers too . If you suspect us , please report this to civic authorities

Been to Howard Johnson Express Calgary? Share your experiences!