“Difficult to find, but comfortable & quiet” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2231 Banff Trail, Calgary, Alberta T2M 4L2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #66 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Brandon, Canada
“Difficult to find, but comfortable & quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

"Banff Trail" is a dead end road known only to long-term residents of Calgary. After getting poor directions, and driving in circles for 25-minutes, I finally found this motel east of McMahon Stadium and about 3km from the University of Calgary. Friendly reception, comfortable room, quiet surroundings (except for the idiot upstairs who wore work boots in his room), swimming pool, coffee maker, and a full continental breakfast selection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear SuperDave!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all the comments and suggestions from our guests and while our location is hard to change your experience in our hotel is. I'm pleased our staff, rooms and amenities were able to meet your expectations, especially breakfast as we do offer an upgraded version of the Choice hotels mandated Easy Starts Breakfast to meet the growing demand for an expanded selection. I can't speak for the idiot upstairs who wore work books, but our front desk is available 24 hours to assist with any guest issues that arise, even when it comes to asking other guests to quiet down.
I'm hoping the next time you come to Calgary you will make us your choice again and perhaps we can even give you a top floor room!
Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
South of England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is my second time here. We stayed for one night when we flew into Calgary for our holiday into the Canadian Rockies. The location is ideal for this as it is on the right side of Calgary and if you've done an international flight, you don't want a long drive. Will use again if I visit the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your TripAdvisor review! We love to hear when we have met the expectations of our guests. Your review only gave us a 3 out of 5 and we hope that you can let us know how to bring that up to a 5 out of 5. We look forward to meeting your accommodation needs the next time you are in Calgary and bringing your stay experience with us from Good to Great!
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

It all started when i accidentally booked the wrong room type online, i was rudely told to go online and fix the issue myself... after speaking to a wonderful front desk supervisor my small issue was fixed in a snap. Once we got there the hotel itself seemed clean and welcoming. The staff at the front desk was efficient but didn't seem overly friendly or happy to be working. The room was nice enough as per what i expected except what looked like a dried booger on the wall beside the bed. It was so nice having a mini fridge and a microwave for after a night out. I love that the clock has an iPod dock. and it was really quiet at night. It was so handy to be so close to the lrt and our cab ride home was only $10. Breakfast was surprisingly good and everything was done very professionally and clean. So overall for the price i would stay again.

Room Tip: I prefer the outside entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
EconoInnsSuites, Front Desk Supervisor at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hello Courtney

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. Let me first start by saying, I'm absolutely THRILLED to hear that you thought of me as 'wonderful'. I don't want to confirm or deny anything, but I MAY (or may not have) have rubbed your comment in the faces of every person that had the unfortunate experience of working with me the day you wrote your review.

I spoke to my staff member who was working when you phoned and attempted to fix your reservation. I think the reason there was confusion was because you got an EXTRA special rate not available to the general public. The staff member on duty was new and was not sure if she was allowed to alter the reservation. Don't worry though, I've spoken to this staff member and I can assure you it wont happen again when you return.

I'm glad you enjoyed your room, I did bring your description of the mystery item on the wall to the attention of the head housekeeper. Having rooms that are not sparkling clean is very rare for us. Our Head Housekeeper and General Manager have very strict expectations for cleanliness here at the hotel. We've actually won the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award 6 different times! This means we are one of the cleanest hotels in all of Alberta.

I'm glad you found the LRT convenient, and I'm happy to hear that you were able to have fun, and safely return to the hotel at night. We are just a few steps away from the Banff Trail LRT station, this will allow our guests to access the entire city within minutes.

Guests love our Easy Starts Breakfast because it features all of the items you would typically have at home. We offer oatmeal, cereal, muffins, danishes, toast, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea, and juice. It is the perfect way to start your day!

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review about your stay with us. I look forward to seeing you again!

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Though I have stayed here in the past and enjoyed it. Though the pricier tower is much nicer. This past trip disappointed me, mainly by being unprofessional. Everything was fine until the morning when I went to check out I was printed a receipt on an old reservation sheet from a month earlier. Seriously names, prices how they were paying (no full credit card numbers at least). Then the man who checked us out (with his untucked shirt and sunglasses on his head), went to the breakfast area grabbed coffee and cereal, which he proceeded to eat at the front desk. Really for over $100 a night I expect more from the staff!

Room Tip: Choose the tower, otherwise the rooms are a lot more dated!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and I would like to apologize for your disappointing stay. Rest assured the issues you have brought to our attention are being rectified; however our General Manager would still like to personally contact you to discuss the issues you experienced.
I hope you will give us the oppportunity to redeem our customer service the next time you visit Calgary!
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I read the past reviews and I'm glad I didn't read them before our stay. The room was big, clean and nice. The staff was very polite and helpful.
The pool was good, kids had fun
The staff recommended a couple of local restaurants and we had a good experience.
The breakfast in the morning was good.
Because of this stay we booked two nights in an Econo Lodge in Renton Washington. What a mistake that was. They really should do something about that Renton location. It is giving Econo Lodge a bad name!
Back to Calgary, get place!!!

• Stayed July 2013
EconoInnsSuites, Front Desk Supervisor at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello Brian!

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I'm happy to hear you thought our rooms were clean. We are the proud recipient of the 2013 Alberta Hotel & Lodging Associations Housekeeping Award. This is the 6th time we have won this award which means we are one of the cleanest hotels in the city.

Hearing you say that you enjoyed the front desk staff makes me personally very happy, because the entire front desk team works very hard to ensure that all of our guests are happy, and that all of us keep up to date on what is going on in Calgary.

The EconoLodge Inn & Suites University is located in an area of town called Motel Village, this area of town contains many restaurants within walking distance. My favorite restaurant is Nicks Steak House, because they have a hamburger so large, they serve it to you in a pizza box!

I'm also glad you enjoyed our Easy Starts Breakfast! You probably did not know this but our breakfast far exceeds the standards set by EconoLodge! We offer, Oatmeal, Yogurt, a varriety of muffins, danishes, & cereal, coffee, tea, juice, and more! All of this is FREE when you stay with us!

I'm sorry to hear that the other EconoLodge did not live up to our high standards. However the number one thing you can do if you have an unsatisfactory stay somewhere, is to write a review right here on Trip Advisor.

Again, I'm thrilled you had a memorable stay with us, and I look forward to your next visit!

Taber
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We end up into a smoking room, as they don't have available room. Rate is too costly to compare on what they offer. We paid total of $115++ - for 2 bedroom. Too old. Dusty. Smell of smoke is too strong. Poor you if you are not a smoker. Pool is small. Pretty in pic. Though staff are friendly.

Inconvenient too, specially if you have lots of stuffs to carry. We are assigned in room on a separate building, second floor (stairs).

Room rate is not worth to this kind of room.

We chose to stay at this hotel, since this is closer to the Calgary University.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Melissa

My name is Rory Siddall and I am the Front Desk Supervisor here at the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University. I wanted to thank you for leaving us such a detailed review about your recent stay with us.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principle goal of out hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

The rate for our rooms is set based off of market research, the hotels occupancy, and the tourism season. We go to great lengths to ensure our room rates remain fair and very competitive, this way you can spend the night, not a fortune.

The room YOU booked online was a smoking room with 2 double beds. Included with your room was our Easy Starts Breakfast, FREE parking, FREE wireless internet, FREE local calls and access to our pool and hot tub. I'm happy to hear that you received exactly what you booked online.

We are glad you found our staff friendly! We think we have some of the friendliest hotel staff in the city. We have staff on hand 24 hours per day to ensure that we are always there if we are needed, guests simply need to dial 0 on their house phone to reach us.

We are located on Banff Trail across the street from the Calgary Transit System, this system will allow you to access the University of Calgary and the rest of the city within minutes. We are also close enough to the UofC to walk.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just returned home from Calgary, Alberta after attending Stampede. Our initial hotel was unfortunately closed due to the flood situation. The Econo Lodge had a room available - a Smoking room - and we had to book it as this was the only room that was coming up in the city. Now I know why. First off, the smell of stale smoke hit us as soon as walked through the door. The carpet was wet, the bed sheets were damp and when we put our clothes on the following morning, they, too, were damp.

We will have to throw out our luggage as the smell of smoke will never come out. My three leather purses are also ruined from the smell of smoke. Since when is smoking legal in hotel/motel rooms????

I reported to the front desk that the carpet/sheets/clothes were all wet/damp. She had no interest whatseover but finally managed to reply "I will put it on the maintenance list."

This room was so bad that we thought of renting a car and sleeping in it on the second night. To the non-smokers out there, if you are ever stuck for a room and contemplate caving to a smoking room, don't do it. It's not worth it!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel.

We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay. It is totally understandable that a smoking room would be very disappointing to a non-smoker. A smoking room will always smell of smoke. The hotel tries to minimize the smell by regularly shampooing it (as was the case for this room) and by ionizing it. However smoking rooms tend to retain the smell of smoke and that can be sensitive for non-smokers. Unfortunately this is how it is with smoking rooms, no matter how much we try they will smell of smoke.

As for the "last room available to sell"- we tend to keep the shampooed room last to sell to allow maximum time for drying.

We apologize for this and have discussed with our team to ensure that the carpets are all dry before selling the last room.

Once again if this was not communicated, we apologize for the short sightedness.

We hope that we will be able to accommodate you in our non-smoking rooms upon your next visit.

Thank you again for writing a review about your experience with us. Please contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Pratham Patel
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University? Share your experiences!