“In Need of TLC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre

Save Saved
You added Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre to your Saves list
Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1316 33rd Street N.E., Calgary, Alberta T2A 6B6, Canada (Northeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Weekend Breakfast Special
Ranked #63 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Winnipeg
“In Need of TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in October and other than the breakfast buffett this hotel could certainly use some restoration. The rooms seem "old", the bathroom is dated and shows it. There was no shampoo in the room and no bag for the ice bucket. I'm pretty sure this was a nice hotel in it's time, just hard to say how long ago that was. The TV had poor reception in the lower channels, the internet was down for a period of time one of the nights. This being said, the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to see you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the beds, but I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations if other areas of the hotel. I have passed on your comments to all departments.

We hope that you consider staying with us again.

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here in Sept and was dissapointed. They really need to upgrade the windows.Staff arent friendly either.This place looked old five years ago and looks even older now.The pool area is terrible. The water was very dirty so my wife and I decided not to go for a swim.For the money we spent, we could have got better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback during your recent stay at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. I have advised the appropriate departments regarding the cleanliness of pool and your experience with the Front Desk.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to make this up to you and hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was here for meetings, and the room I was given, was nice. Very clean! There was nothing wrong with the decor, perhaps slightly dated. The breakfast buffet had enough selection, but again good. Service at the front desk was warm and helpful. There was nothing that stood out as over the top wow. It was a ...good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I'm happy you had an enjoyable stay and will forward your comments to our Front Desk and Restaurant. We appreciate knowing about our guest’s experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future.

We hope to see you again in the near future.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night for a conference at the hotel. Front desk staff was not terribly friendly nor efficient. Just OK.
Room was fine. When I opened the windows, I realized I was staying over the vents to the restaurant, so my room quickly filled with the aroma of hamburgers. Not a bad smell, but not sure its a smell I want in my room.
Internet service was good. Location is not the best, but I was here for a conference and rather stuck there.
Again, just OK.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I have advised the front desk and the maintenance departments regarding the issues you had experienced during your stay.

We hope that you would consider staying with us again if travelling to Calgary.
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Coast Plaza before, a few times actually, and have never had a bad experience. Although I must agree the place was somewhat dated even back then. The last time we stayed was about three years ago. The first time we had a jaccuzzi suite, it was terrific then the next time it was just a regular room and rather dull...oh hum, old and worn, we were somewhat disappointed. Now after spending a nice vacation on the Oregon coast we are on our way home to Medicine Hat and will likely stay at the Coast Plaza for one night but only because we are familiar and it's on the way. I hope they have the bugs worked out of the air conditioning problem before we arrive :(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your past stays. We would love to see you again when you are going through Calgary. We have corrected the air conditioning issue and have also updated our guestroom bathrooms. We have also renovated our restaurant and updated our lobby and lounge.

I hope you had a great vacation and have a safe trip home.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Although it is a bit further (25 min) further form the airport than I generally like, it was very comfortable. Good bed, decent internet speed, nice bar/lounge with good food. I found a nice price online that made it "affordable". The rack rate would also put this out of range, for a hotel that I was just sleeping at while waiting for a 6am departure.

The first shuttle is at 5am. This is not early enough for international departures.

They did not give me my requested wak-up call.

You have to call them from the phone at the curb in the designated pick up spot at the airport. While it may be on their website there is no sign about how this works at the airport.

Room Tip: Make reservations for shuttle pickup, it should speed up the process.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I'm happy to see you had an enjoyable stay. I apologize that you did not receive your wake-up call. I have forwarded your comments regarding the shuttle and the phone at the airport to the appropriate departments.

We look forward to the possibility of seeing you again.
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

It is an interesting characteristic of the TripAdvisor ranking system that if a property deviates from its usual quality standards for a significant period of time its ranking will be affected for months (or years?) to come - maybe long after the problem has been resolved. This Coast hotel is really paying the price for its prolonged A/C problem earlier this year with a ranking currently sitting at a lowly 63/97 amongst Calgary hotels.

There were no A/C problems in tower 2 when we stayed in mid-Aug. '12 and we had an excellent stay. Large, comfortable, well-appointed rooms with good sound-proofing.

As advertised, this is a conference centre, so it is big, and with size comes pros and cons. If you want small, homey, and intimate, don't expect to find it at any conference centre. If you want a lot of extra features, such as a full service restaurant, then you are at the right place.

We encountered attractive pricing for a Sunday night stay and would not hesitate to return under similar circumstances. The Coast may have to buy its way back (via great room prices) to a ranking more representative of its normal standards. I expect that they should consistently be in the top 10%.

Finally - a question for the folks at TripAdvisor: Have you considered also posting a rolling average of rankings for, say, the most recent 10 reviews for each property? It may be more meaningful for us to be dealing with the most current information (but history is also interesting).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TKippen, Manager at Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

Been to Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!