“Week visit to Calgary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Calgary South Hotel

You added Delta Calgary South Hotel to your Saves list
Delta Calgary South Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 Southland Dr SE, Calgary, Alberta T2J 5X5, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #37 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Week visit to Calgary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Delta south hotel for 1 week whilst we had a sight seeing week of Calgary as we are moving to Calgary in the New Year to live and work here. When we arrived the check in was very easy, fast and friendly, although our room was in the Atrium building we had to check in in the Tower building but this was not a problem. We had booked a family room which we were told was on the ground floor.our room was on the ground floor. What we didnt know though is that the resturant is right out side the family sooms on the ground floor, which ment that it could be a bit noisy. It wouldnt have been so bad if the childrens beds had not been in the main room as soon as you open the room door. Our 3 year old found it hard to stay asleep, even when we had put the please be quiet sign on the door handle, it wasnt !. It would be so much better if the childrens beds were put in the seperate room away from the main door. It was also very strange that we had no windows in the room, it was very strange to have the lights on all the time during the day. There was 4 of us in the room and every day we were left 2 cups,1 tea spoon and 1 tea bag !. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, i just dont think they every dusted or checked the drawers before we moved in. My son opened one of the drawers in the main room and found a bag of apples and paper cups and plates. These were still there when we left !!. i actually hate to say anything negative about this hotel as everyone we met was so so friendly and helpful, from the reception staff to the waitressess. Marsha the receptionist who worked nights was very helpful and very friendly, she gave us loads to read and information on Calgary.
The resturant menu was very limited, as we were here for a full week after eating in the resturant for a couple of days and nights you just have to eat out. One of the evenings we sat down to eat in the resturant as the children were very tired we thought a qiuck meal then bed for them. This was not the case. Something must have been seriously amiss in the kitchen as all our starters took for ever to come, one was cold ( it was the chilli bean soup, which had been the special for 3 nights in a row ). After a long while the childrens meals came but not ours, the children had finished and were getting fed up and ours still hadnt arrived. Eventually ours arrived, one was suppose to be meat loaf but was qiute clearly not ( as my husband was a chef and knows exactly what meatloaf looks like and tastes like !) the other meal would have been delicous if it had been brought out when it was fresh and hot. The chicken was so hard and the gnocchi was stuck together to form a sticky mess. We eventually gave up and went back to the room with 2 vet tired and fed up children. My husband did complain about the meal to night reception and they took it off our overall bill, so the staff were great about it.
Each morning i had the continental breakfast and my husband went for the hot breakfast, he said as the food is served in chaffing dishes it was always luke warm and when you put it on the plates which were freezing cold then it is no longer a hot breakfast !!. My husband has stayed in the Delta Tronto Airport and he says breakfast is served from a proper hot counter and the plates are warm. On a personal taste it would have been better to stick with regular tried and tested breakfast sausages, as apposed to the glutten free spolumbo ones, which my husband says are clearly an aquired taste and texture and not for every traveller.

Overall this is a lovely friendly family hotel, i just wish the family rooms were in a different part of the hotel and were maybe styled a bit differently inside the room, the lay out was wrong for a family with a young child.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. We're glad to hear that overall you found our hotel to be family friendly and that our team members made a difference during your stay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the specific shortfalls you experienced like the slow meal service and the items left in the room from a previous guest.

You bring forth some great points regarding your dining and accommodations experience that have been shared with our team for follow up. To date we have completed a review of the Family Suites and are considering some small changes that will enhance the experience.

We are also in the process of reviewing the menus within the Atrium Cafe including the Children's menu. (We will also make sure the new menu better highlights the "Our Kitchen is Your Kitchen" program, which allows guests the opportunity to customize their meal.

Thank you again for sharing your review and we're confident you're going to love working and living in Calgary!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've stayed at the Delta South about 4 times and the refurbished rooms are a great improvement. Lots of space to work, very comfy beds, flat screen tv, top of the range bathroom.

The hotel overall however is still quite dated and the food options aren't great. The breakfast is a standard buffet, they do omelettes to order and the chef is very accommodating, but the buffet is a bit basic.

Room service and the restaurant for dinner is really average which is a shame as the hotel isn't close to a lot of other options. We use this hotel because it's opposite our office so it's a great location in that sense, but it's about 20 minutes drive out of Calgary so not a great location for holidays. There's a Wallmart and Safeways opposite and some bars / restaurants in the shopping strip. The Boomtown pub attached to the hotel is great for a drink and unwinding in the evening, but again the food isn't up to much.

My biggest bug about the hotel is that there's no bottles of water provided in the rooms so you've either got to get room service or get a fizzy drink from the vending machine in the lobby. I always arrive late at night and having water in the room would make a difference.

There's a fridge and microwave in the rooms. Most of them look over the road but it's not noisy.

The pool in the lobby is a bit odd, but there's also another pool with a slide in the tower building. You can only check in at the tower and then you have to walk across to the other building if that's where your room is. That can be a pain if you've got a lot of luggage.

Overall with the newly done rooms, staying here is a much better experience but I'd only recommend for a short business trip.

Room Tip: Go for the refurbished rooms in the main building (not the tower).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your review on Trip Advsior. We're glad to hear you like our newly renovated Atrium Building Rooms.

We're sorry to hear that your experience with our food is average. We do offer "our kitchen is your kitchen", which gives you opportunity to have some direct input on your meal. Any members of our culinary team would be happy to prepare something special based on a guests personal tastes.

Hopefully we'll opportunity to have you back with us, if we do, let us know at time of reservation and we'll have bottled water placed in your room for you before you arrive. (Feel free to contact me direct at gerickson@deltacalgarysouth.com, I'll look after it personally.)

I would also encourage you to ask our team or myself for dining recommendations if you wish to leave the hotel, there is about 10 to 15 restaurants within about a 3 block radius that we can point you towards.

Also, in your review you noted we are 20 minutes out of Calgary, we are a 15 to 20 minute drive South of downtown Calgary depending on traffic at the hub of South Calgary at the corner of Southland Drive and Macleod Trail.

Thanks again for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was in Calgary for a conference and only stayed one night at this hotel. From start to finish, I found everything perfect. I was in a king bed room which was reasonably priced given 1) it's Calgary and 2) it's a Delta. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I found the room generously sized and the best part is the new "smart" desk with a variety of connectors so that you can run your laptop or other electronic device and have the output on the large, flat-screen TV. Lots of outlets to charge electronics -- a nice bonus and one I wish more hotels would install. The Wi-Fi actually worked and I didn't have to stand in some corner or out the hall to get a signal!

The bed was comfortable with lots of plump, comfy pillows. The bathroom had all the necessities including mouthwash (I'd forgotten to pack mine). I had a choice of a tub/shower or shower alone and I chose the latter. The walk-in shower was large with good water pressure. After all the hotel rooms I've been in, this was probably the best experience -- not having to fight with a billowing curtain, not having to duck under a too-short shower, not wondering if something resembling hot water would come out the shower head. Nope -- this Delta was recently renovated and it's definitely worth the stay. I dreaded check-out as I would have liked another night at the hotel but it was time for me to leave.

I agree with that the buffet was pretty decent. Having an option for the continental buffet was nice and there was plenty of options. I saw others with the hot buffet and maybe next time I'll opt for that.

All in all -- this was an excellent experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review, we're glad to hear you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. We're also pretty excited to hear that your experience was in one of our new Mode Rooms in the Atrium Building and that you found the new bathroom concept and Smart Desk to your liking. We hope to welcome you back again!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in several Delta's in Alberta, this one really tops the line in terms of service and friendliness - in fact the team there really is all about making you feel welcome.

Rooms are clean and tidy. Pretty good gym and a decent breakfast buffet. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review of the Delta Calgary South on Trip Advisor. We are always excited when we hear that a guest found our team to be very welcoming. In addition, we're glad you found good value for your money. We hope to welcome you back soon, thanks again for sharing.
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and booked the Heritage Park package for 1 night, which was of great value for us, 2 adults and a 6 yr old. Comes with 2 adult tickets, 2 child tickets and included unlimited rides. Also a $25 gift certificate. See Park administration if you do not need the extra child ticket.
Hotel is in a good location, Walmart, Cdn Tire and restaurants nearby which is handy if you need anything. Kids are treated to a goodie bag upon check-in which adds to their experience, and with the pool and spiralling waterslides you are sure to win here. Happy kids means happy parents, Delta knows this. Rooms were clean and upgraded. Microwave and fridge in the standard room is convenient. Room ventilation was quiet and temperature comfortable. There is some traffic noise during the day, but our room on the 2nd floor was quiet enough that it was barely noticeable. Even on the 2nd night with a noisy wedding party smoking/drinking outside not far from our window, I expected the worse, but our room remained quiet and we were not bothered. We didn't hear neighbours much either, just the odd door in the hall which can be expected. Our door could of been adjusted to close a bit lighter as well.

The pool temperature was decent, not too cold, as well the hot tub was hot enough. This is a busy hotel so do expect both pool areas (Tower and Atrium) to be busy which is a good sign, right ? Even though staff restocked the towels a few times, people were always grabbing stacks of them, so expect this. Not the hotel's fault here. Unfold your towels like you used them, no one will touch them. Life jackets for the kids are offered first come first serve - 20 in stock. Staff was friendly and always offering assistance from the front counter, bell hops to lounge personel. Lounge is quiet and relaxing, even with several video lottery terminals in the next room. Their volumns kept low. Overall we were pretty happy with our choice here.

Security - There were security personel the Friday to patrol hotel and parking lots which was assuring. I did not see them the second night (Sat), but not to say they weren't around.

The negatives - parking lot is busy at the Tower, could use signage directing guests and visitors to side parking lot or Atrium lot.
Check in was a bit time consuming, however check out with a credit card is quick.

Cleaning - someone's empty room service dishes and tray sat outside their door in the hall from 8 pm when I initially seen it, and was still there at 6:30 am when we checked out. Tile floor in the elevators and lobby areas was sticky from left over drink spills from the wedding party until 6:30 am. Someone just started cleaning this up after we checked out.

Smoking - would be nice for partying wedding guests to take their smoking to other areas away from hotel entrances. Families do stay here, and I nor my child should not have to inhale this. Smoke does enter and go up into the 2nd floor elevator area. Many cities have bylaws in place regarding this. Calgary may not, but I feel the hotel industry with guests from all over should be on top of this trend. Where was security this night ?

Bottom line - The negatives were minor, but felt I should be honest. Delta is pretty good but not perfect. Would I stay here again ?
You bet we would. I reccomend it.

Room Tip: In the Tower side, rooms facing the back to Cdn Tire I suspect would be the quietest. However, eve...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. It will certainly be helpful for guests considering the Delta Calgary South. We will ensure our entire management team has a chance to see it as you make some great points. In addition, from your feedback, we are going to look at some signage for the parking and the smoking areas around the hotel. On behalf of the team at the Delta Calgary South, we hope to welcome you back soon!
Red Deer, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed just one night, check in easy ( we booked with their last minute email offer, $110 for the night). We had a basic room, with two queen beds- very clean. Every staff member we bumped into was very friendly, going out of their way to acknowledge us. We took our 5 & 7 year old to the pool, they loved the waterslide! Beds a little soft for my liking, but ok. All in this was a great weekend away spot - close to Southcentre shopping mall and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thanks for posting your review newmama, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and specifically some of the amenities within and around the hotel. We'll also ensure our team hears your comments regarding how friendly they were, they'll appreciate it!
Stony Plain, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Spent 2 night here with my daughters and grandchild. Nothing special, nice and clean - only catch was the only adjoining rooms are on the ground level in the tower building - not as nice as the atrium building. Was a little concerned about security, being at ground level with 5 ladies and a baby, but didn't seem to be an issue. Couldn't get the A/C to shut off, though - so the first niight was kind of chilly.

Room Tip: Ask for an Atrium room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for sharing your experience, indeed our Atrium Rooms are a more upscale experience compared to our tower building rooms as they were re-done earlier this year. Thank you again for posting your review on Trip Advisor and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Been to Delta Calgary South Hotel? Share your experiences!