“Last Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver
“Last Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel about 6 times over the past 5 years and have always felt this place rated an "average". The location isn't quite downtown, but it is very close to downtown. Rooms are clean & comfortable, within walking distance of a decent assortment of restaurants so I've generally been pretty satisfied. This visit, as usual, was booked with a junior sports event that takes place in Calgary every two years.There seemed to be groups from three different sports here this weekend.

The party across from my room started at 9:00pm. I debated whether to call the front desk (it was only 9:00 pm, what a grouch!) but felt management should be forewarned about noise that would probably occur into early morning hours. "Forewarned is forearmed." As long as they settled down by 11:00 pm, I would be happy. So, being a parent of a teenager and wise to the ways of those enchanting creatures, I called the front desk to advise this might be a "hotspot" for the next 6 hours or so.

The front desk girl sent a maintenance staff member to the room who determined the party was only dinner being served and things would settle down in the next hour. He was kind enough to come directly to my door, knock, and then give me his report after loudly establishing I "was the lady who complained."

The "next hour", oddly enough, stretched out to 2:00 am, with me phoning the front desk at midnight and 2:00am to complain. At 2:00am, I was rudely told by the front desk gentleman that my call about the noise was only his first call. I told him it might be his first call, but it was my third call to the front desk: 9:00pm, midnight, and 2:00am. He was defensive on the phone and denied I had placed three calls but said he would send security. (I should mention here, that I sleep with ear plugs that can block out most noise but not the party across the hall.) Finally, things started to settle down, but my son and I did not get to sleep until well after 2:00am. He had to play a match that day with a sleep deficit and I stumbled through the day crankier than usual. When I checked out, the front desk lady was polite and apologetic.

Apart from that, the hotel is clean, has a fitness room (that was being painted), slow, slow elevators that both guests & staff complain about every time I stay (we usually just use the stairs), cheerful housekeepers, friendly female front desk staff/curt male front desk staff, and a decent location with lots of free parking.

Hot breakfast: Seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion in these reviews. Some think it's great, others think not. I'm in the middle. If you are a toast, cereal, cold hard boiled egg, coffee kind of person (I am) then breakfast is perfectly fine. If you want a traditional hot breakfast, then breakfast is not fine: powdered scrambled eggs, frozen then heated up omelettes (I think that's what they were), sausage patties (I think?) - go somewhere else for breakfast.

Should note, too, the air conditioning fans are very loud - people in my party each year note how loud they are. One would not think a/c would be needed in Calgary in November, but the hotel is overheated (too much cheap fuel in Alberta). I had my earplugs, so the fan didn't bother me too much.

If not for the party problem, I would rate this hotel an "average". I don't think it's rocket science for hotel management to figure out that while sports teams are income providers during low occupancy weekends, there will be hotspots that the hotel has to shut down - that's the nature of sports teams, adult or teen. Perhaps there should be an adult/junior ratio policy, clearly one adult chaperone cannot effectively supervise 10-15 kids.

Room Tip: There is a very cool coffee house across the street but sometimes they have a band playing and the s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Wet_Coast1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind words regarding our hotel and the friendliness of the housekeeping and the ladies at our front desk.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding sound management on the night in question. It is a rare occasion that we have problems with any of our youth teams that stay with us, as we require, and ensure a strict ratio of chaperons to team members. In addition we are also proactive in requiring that the team organizers sign a "group policy form", which outlines the teams responsibility to self monitor their team members, in addition to our security. Due to these procedures that we have in place, it is an extremely rare occasion that we experience any trouble.

Again we apologize for not meeting your expectation in this regard and hope to see you in the future.
We would be happy to discuss this matter directly. Please contact my office at your earliest convenience.

George Dahbour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Kincraig, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Travelled in to Calgary on overnight Greyhound, had talked to someone on the desk the day before telling them I would be there early and was there any chance of getting room early. Arrived 8am to leave my bag and was told they would make sure I could have a room early and given a voucher for a free breakfast that day, nice touch!
Rooms nice and modern with kitchen facility.
Hotel central to up and coming bar and restaurant area.
Small sauna and gym also handy. Thanks for a enjoyable stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear PeterSnow,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a positive review about our hotel.

We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Coaldale, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Read about this location on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. We were in Calgary for a concert and did not want to drive home after the show. The location of the hotel is pretty good, but a bit confusing trying to get into the parking lot. There was some construction repair work going on in the ramp to the underground parking area and a lorge portion of the grade level parking was fenced off, including the access off of !4 Ave SW, so we had to do some backtracking and find the rear lane entrance.
The check in was efficient, but the fellow who was in charge needs to take some customer service training...rude is the word that comes to mind...the woman working directly with us was somewhat more friendly, however she was unsure on how to complete some of her tasks, which is OK, but the man was quite curt with her as well. All said and done we were checked in fairly quickly and given directions to the free underground parking, where we interrupted the workers on the ramp long enough to get in. They were quite friendly about this interruption so no problems there. I need to state that the last time I had free underground parking anywhere this close to downtown Calgary was....never. Good bonus.
We had reserved a King suite and as we exited the elevator on the 15th floor we met one of the maintenance staff, who was very friendly and wished us a good stay. Nice. The room was average and to cll it a suite is a bit of a stretch. There was a small kitchenette with a microwave, 2 burner hotplate (not sure if they are even legal anymore), a bar size fridge with the door all dented up, and a few cupboards with utensils etc.
We had no intention of using the cooking facility, but did use the fridge to keep our water cold. I took a look at the pots and pans, and the frying pan was caked in dried food, although the cooking surface of the pan appeared clean. Kind of disgusting.
I did inform the clerk at the front desk of this on checkout and she seemed surprised...
The bed was very comfortable and I slept well.
The bathroom is tiny, but functional.
All in All for a quick overnight stay it was good, although I will not go back...too many choices in Calgary.

Room Tip: Try for a room on an upper level for a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Kermit403,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are pleased to hear that the check in was quick and efficient, staff were friendly, and the free underground parking.
We apologize if you felt that the male clerk was a bit curt. We will use your valued comments to improve our services.
Again, thank you for your review and if you ever decided to come back, please contact me directly and I will be happy to assist with your accommodation.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Pros
Room is excellent ( I always purchase a 2 room suite). Cost is very reasonable for location and quality.
Bed is firm and fantastic sleep results
Breakfast(included) is good
Room is excellent

Cons
Lobby is small
Entrance is non existence

• Stayed November 2011
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Scotty500,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are very happy to hear that you liked our two bedroom suite and the breakfast.
With regards to the lobby and entrance, plans are in motion for a renovation.

Again, thank you and look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Regards,

Cranbrook, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked this trip for work and pleasure. I was doing business in downtown Calgary, so it was conveniently close to the office I was meeting at. However, at the moment we arrived, we were disappointed.

One of my reasons for choosing this hotel was the sauna and fitness room. My partner and I are avidly health conscious, so we counted on early morning workouts and sauna use. However, upon arrival, we discovered there was construction and they were unavailable. At no time were we told at the time of booking, just a few days before our visit, (when I asked if they had a pool, as well as the sauna and fitness room- so obviously I intended to use it) that the sauna and fitness room were unavailable.

Ive heard many reviews about their great breakfast and this is unfortunate~! Yes, there are make your own waffles and boiled eggs. As for other hot selections, you are left with pre-frozen egg patties, over processed mini sausages, and dry potato bites. :( Not the great breakfast others have raved about. Makes me wonder the validity of those reviews?!

Finally, my partner and I were having an afternoon class of wine to celebrate how the meeting just went, and a small (toonie size) amount of blush wine spilled on the duvet cover. I immediately pulled the duvet cover off the duvet (there was no wine on the duvet), and called the front desk. She immediately informed me I was going to be charged for the sheet style cover, and that no attempt would be made to remove the blush wine. She immediately sent room cleaning up, and low and behold I was charged $100 for the duvet cover. I have no doubt these duvet covered are guarded, and I can get blush wine out of a white rug. The fact that they charged me without any attempt to try to remove it, is insulting.

I will never stay at this Best Western again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear KNCDC,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel.

While it is true that our regular fitness centre is under renovation, we do have an alternate temporary fitness room right next to the sauna, & also please note that our sauna is & was totally operational at the time of your stay.

With regards to your statement regarding the “toonie size” wine spill, we would be more than happy to email you our file photos of the stain which was over a foot long. We did in fact endeavor to remove the stain so we could hopefully refund your $100 charge, however the red wine did not come out despite repeated treatments specially formulated for the likes of red wine.

We were very surprised to hear your comments regarding our very popular breakfast buffet, it is very well received & reviewed by both casual guests & top reviewers as indicated by their Trip Advisor ratings.
Thank you & should you wish to discuss further please feel free to contact my office, I am am happy to help!

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by my recent stay at this hotel. The rooms are very large & super clean. Staff at check in was very friendly and parking FREE!!!!
Breakfast each morning was also very nice & there were lots of options for a variety of different diets.
The hotel is located within walking distance to Safeway (very nice since there are kitchens in the rooms), and a variety of tasty restaurants and breweries! I recommend The Coup for dining, and Craft Beer Market & Brewsters all within a short walk.
Also shopping & a pharmacy nearby.
Very nice stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear TXWV,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! It is very rewarding to receive comments from a top reviewer such as yourself, & I will happily share your kind words!

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a difference a city make, we are on a tour from Vegas going through Alberta To British Columbia. We chose this hotel after reading reviews, mostly great reviews and the odd bad. Our check in was fast and efficient, our room was ready at 2 pm when we checked in. The staff helped us with our big suitcases and gave us a recommendation on several places to dine. We chose Rick's Grill as it is only a few minutes from the hotel.
Our room was nicely decorated with white clean bedding and lots of pillows.
The room also had a small kitchen with dishes and utensils and a coffee maker with a choice of regular and decaf and some tea.
There was also a couch and a flat screen TV.
We were so impressed by this hotel that we asked to be booked in Vancouver for our next stay. The staff told us about their Best Western rewards program and readily signed us and gave us bonus points.

Room Tip: They don't have a restaurant but serve hot breakfast which we quite enjoyed. I was free too...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ari O, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear bcamp0,

On behalf of the entire staff I would thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and for the terrific review! It's good to hear that we lived up to your expectations and booked another Best Western because of us.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Calgary.

Kind regards,

Ari Othitis
Guest Services Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown? Share your experiences!