““Great Place to Stay in South Calgary”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12025 Lake Fraser Dr, Calgary, Alberta T2J 7G5, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
““Great Place to Stay in South Calgary””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Holiday Inn & Express has friendly and helpful staff and management. I book here for all my companies corporate travel, for customers and management. They will go the extra mile even when they are sold out of rooms, either shuffle people around or find a near by hotel that does have availability!!!

The companies customers are very happy we recommend them here. They receive great rooms and are treated very well, hotel is very clean and the location is close to many amenities. Thank you for all your help in the past and I will definitely continue book rooms at the Holiday Inn & Express in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Before booking this hotel we had checked TripAdvisor and were somewhat apprehensive due to the mixed reviews. We were looking for a hotel in south Calgary close to McLeod Trail and this was the only hotel in that area that had rooms available. Upon arriving to the hotel for check in, only one of the three rooms was ready (we arrived at 2:30) which wasn't a problem as we just dropped off our bags and headed out right away. The young lady at the front desk was very good at multi-tasking and had us checked in quickly.
I was quite impressed with the room size and amenities. There was a separate bedroom with large flat screen TV, sitting area with another large flat screen TV, small kitchenette with microwave oven, coffee maker and fridge. It was much larger than we needed for an overnight stay, in fact it was roomy enough for a 2 or 3 night stay.
The thing that impressed me the most was the comfortable bed and how quiet the room was during the night. Being that it was a Saturday night I expected to hear some noise but that was not the case. My daughter did say that the a/c in her room was loud when it started up during the night and woke her up.
Based upon my one night experience, I would stay there again. I think this would be a suitable hotel for family or business travel as it has a pool and seems to be fairly sound proof. There is easy access to main roads at the south end of Calgary from the hotel and is close to South Centre Shopping Mall. There are several family type chain restaurants within walking distance or a very short car ride from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sylvan Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've been travelling to Calgary every week for the past two years and have stayed in many hotels throughout the city. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. The location is ideal in terms of accessibility to multiple dining locations and shopping which are only a short walk away. The rooms are great and there are several amenities throughout the facility. The hotel management and staff will go above and beyond their call of duty to make sure you have a pleasant stay during your entire visit. Due to the high standard quality of service the hotel is often booked solid so I book rooms several months in advance to rule out any chance of staying elsewhere. My peers and employees within the company I work for rates this location as #1 on the top 10 list. Come and witness it for yourself.

Room Tip: If travelling with young kids, the jacuzzi room is a great choice. When travelling with my family, m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Manager here was so upset over my response to the Holiday Inn's customer service survey, where I pointed out customer service issues; she THREW ME OUT of the hotel. She called the police and had me removed from the property. The police were not needed, in fact I chatted with them in the parking lot afterwards and they felt the call was a total waste of their time. I was not hostile nor was I combative. This Manager is nuts.

When I returned to the hotel after a day of work I found my room keys didn't work and my personal items were locked inside. When I approached the desk they wanted to charge me a rate higher than the agreed upon rate. The manager was called and things went downhill from there. She had agreed to the rate on this reservation 2 weeks prior but now wanted to charge more. To add insult the Manager chose to charge me for the night that she kicked me out and at a rate $70 higher than agreed upon rate. That is over $300 in over charges. Maybe that is how she keeps her job. She would not give me the Owners name and number so I could speak to him.

I am a reasonable professional who travels routinely(over 220 nights a year). When I asked to have my bill charged to the agreed upon corporate rate, I was accused of being abusive to the staff. When did asking someone to honor their commitments become abusive? I am a very seasoned professional business traveler. I have experienced great customer service and enjoyed many comfortable hotels over my years of business travel; this is not one of them.

After being kicked out without a reservation for the evening I got great service and a nice room at the Delta Hote. It is located north about 1km. Their rate for me walking in was better than the corporate rate at the Holiday Inn, the room was more comfortable and the staff was friendly and courteous. If you are staying in South Calgary on business my advice is try the Delta.

Room Tip: Choose no room at this hotel. The manager is belligerent and combative and the staff follows her exa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Business_Traveler544,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary South Macleod Trail South, AB. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Oakham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Providing you're willing to do it yourself, this hotel is fair. When we arrived (August 6th, 2013), we had two heavy cases, having flown in from the UK. I asked if they could help (my wife is disabled) but no, they had no-one could help with that. However, you can use the luggage trolleys yourself . . One of the wheels was dodgy, so I struggled to get it all into the elevator, but eventually we got to our room, and a cleaning lady volunteered to help us get the cases in. There is air conditioning in the room, but none of the controls on the aircon unit seemed to work. We later discovered the controller was on the opposite wall. There was an internet connection plug under the lamp on the desk, but that didn't work. I later discovered there was another connection further along the wall (unmarked).which did work.

I spoke to the hotel manager, and said it would be good if new arrivals could get help with their cases. She said there was no-one appointed to do that, unless a member of staff went 'beyond the call of duty' to do that. I suggested it would be good for guests to be shown how the air conditioning worked, how to work the shower, how the rather unusual coffee maker actually worked, where the internet connection actually was (by chance a passing maintenance man showed us eventually). I quote the manager's response : "We've no time for all that, this is a big hotel (105 rooms)".

So if you want to do-it-yourself, this hotel is OK, but don't expect much help, or sympathy from the manager. By the way, our grandchildren did like the pool, and the guy who prepares the breakfast room, and cleans the tables, does a very good job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear daviddeed,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The room was great - price, competitive...but almost any hotel can provide these valued qualities. When it comes to the speed and efficiency of check-in this hotel falls flat on its face. Check out was an equal disappointment as I stood at the counter for 20 minutes staring at a 'be back in 10 minutes' sign. I have a flight to catch, lol - where are you people. I am sure this hotel is victim to poor corporate budgeting - but all in all a decent stay. Considering how many choices I have, I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Tuesday949,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. I apologize for the services that you have received which is not up to your par. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

By far the worst customer service we have ever experienced with local hotel management. If you are a group, just stay away from this hotel. They do not appreciate your business or care about your personal well being. This hotel will never have business from our groups again.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Saskratchurass,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling below your expectations. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Lera P
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South? Share your experiences!