“A Nice and Easily Accessible Motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Centro Motel

You added Centro Motel to your Saves list
Centro Motel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4540 16 Ave. NW, Calgary, Alberta T3B0M6, Canada (Northwest Calgary)   |
Ranked #52 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“A Nice and Easily Accessible Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed in this motel and I could say hotel with my wife and little son in July. I was amazed at the cleanliness and beautiful decor of the room. Everything in the room was very nice and comfortable. It is located on Highway 1 which was good for us to complete our trip to BC. I will definitely stay in this motel again.

I noticed two things: The internet network did not reach our room which was a bit far from the office. I talked to them about this problem an they said they would solve it. So, try to be close to the office to get better connection. The breakfast was very simple, just oatmeal crispy, milk, juice and some snacks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I stayed here a night with my partner and I must say that it was a very nice and very clean motel. They have just renovated and have made it have a very modern feel. I enjoyed my stay here and the staff in the office were friendly. The location is convenient as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Granby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights during the Stampede. Although not so close from downtown (20$ cab ride), everything is newly renovated + free long distance calls to anywhere US & Can, free internet + 2 Mac computers in the lobby, free breakfast... Room are spacious and cleans. Only negative point: walls seem paper thin and we heard voices from other rooms. We turned on the A/C to cover eventual noise and we slept like babies. If you compare the price to similar places, it is a gem. Staff was also very helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights. It was pre-booked in advance which was really easy to do. The main problem is that it is a bit out of town, approx $18 dollars in a cab. However, we were extremely surprised when we got there. Although it says it is a motel (and my impression of a motel is quite negative) it was a modern, clean, had a trendy feel and we were able to be self sufficient. There was also a basic continental breakfast included in the price which was useful to keep hunger at bay until lunch! It is on a main road, which itself may have it's advantages / disadvantages to a tourist, but all in all we had a great stay there and I would quite happily visit again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
saskatoon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I realy liked the Centro motel for a lot of reasons. I found the staff very helpful. The rooms were clean, the decor was modern, I have never seen anything like it in a "motel". I loved the beds, my 2 boys and I slept very well. It was close to alot of amenities as well as the river. Which would be convient since the motel is pet friendly, you could take your dog out for the evening or morning. I took my Kids and we just walked form the motel. nighttime in that area was very quite too. It was a good stay and will definatly recomend it to others in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Well, I travelled to Calgary from Eastern Canada for work, and originally planned to stay for 5 days, but stayed for 10.
If anyone gave this place a bad review, they must be off their rocker.
Check-in was a BREEZE, and Andrew at the front desk was extremely helpful, making sure we had all the info we needed - maps, directions, etc.
I heard that Centro was Calgary's first and only 'boutique' motel. I figured: a motel is a motel..right? Well, Centro is different, and they've set a new standard for sure. The decor is great, the duvets were sooo comfortable, and the SOAP - I'd go back again just for the soap. It has this exfoliating grit in it, you feel like you had a spa treatment after you get out of the shower, which by the way has a full flow shower head, not that 'needle spray'
My usual fear about motels is 'what sort of smell will I encounter when I open the door to my room?'
Thankfully Centro put my fears to rest. My room smelled better than my own house. The rooms are kept so meticulously clean, especially since there's no carpet, it's all laminate and and some granite tiles (I think it was granite, but I'm no geologist or flooring expert)
The long and short of it is this: I would stay here for a business trip again, I would stay here for vacation, I would put my family up there, and would tell my friends about it.
When I look at other properties in the area charging similar rates, there's just no comparison. Obviously you can tell how impressed I was. I don't want to overdo it, but it was all just so unique and unexpected.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I booked this motel because I loved the photos of the interior/rooms that are posted on the motel's website. Very chic decor and everything seemed new, new new. BUT, while the beds are new, my husband and I found them cheap and uncomfortable. Our backs were aching for three days (we stayed three nights). The king bed was actually two twin beds pushed together. And the one my husband slept on was tilting toward the "middle" of the king set up. (The motel manager said he was surprised to hear our feedback about the beds. He customers rave about them all the time.) Hmmm. I don't know how to explain that one, to be quite honest. In our opinion, the beds are just really crummy and uncomfortable. The other problem was that we could hear every foot step in the room above us. Part of that problem is that the floors are a wood laminate. Lovely, yes, but very noisy. The manager said that they were planning on carpeting the 2nd floor rooms. He also suggested that they might be doing something else to help insulate the noise. When booking, ask for a 2nd floor room until they get that problem fixed. Also, the windows could use some sound proofing. It was crazy noisy from the street noise until around 2 a.m.

The breakfast is simple continental fare, but it was nice to have. Two spectacularly new Macs are in the lobby for guests to use, and that was a nice touch.

Truly hospitable manager and staff. I don't have criticisms for them, per se.

I would also recommend make the exterior look a little more inviting if they're still working on improvements. The dark paint color choice was a big mistake. The motel looks like a charred building.

Loved having free Wi-Fi.

Would we go back? No. I'd rather have a better bed and less noise to deal with than a chic interior.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
centromotel, Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Thank you for your review of Centro Motel. We would like to address your concerns, as we are striving to provide exceptional value and comfort for our guests. Please appreciate that we are a brand new property, and are still working through issues that arise from converting an old building into our new motel.

Soundproofing is an issue that the management is taking very seriously, as it is important to us that our guests get a good night's sleep. We are just in the midst of finalizing a solution which will help immensely with keeping the rooms quiet.

With regards to the complaint about our mattresses, please note that we purchased the highest quality mattress that was offered from the mattress supplier, and most guests have remarked on how comfortable the beds are. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the bed comfortable. We will look into ways that we can improve the quality of sleep for our guests in the future.

The exterior of the motel is now nearly finished, with a new sign, flower planets, and patios added onto the property, and you may find a difference in the exterior appearance next time you are in Calgary.

Thank you again for your review, so that we can address any issues and strive to improve them for all future guests.

Best Regards,

Centro Motel

Been to Centro Motel? Share your experiences!