“WOW, Centro is in a class all it's own! So clean and bright.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centro Motel

You added Centro Motel to your Saves list
Centro Motel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4540 16 Ave. NW, Calgary, Alberta T3B0M6, Canada (Northwest Calgary)   |
Special Offer
STAY LONGER, SAVE MORE!
Ranked #49 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Halifax
“WOW, Centro is in a class all it's own! So clean and bright.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Well, I travelled to Calgary from Eastern Canada for work, and originally planned to stay for 5 days, but stayed for 10.
If anyone gave this place a bad review, they must be off their rocker.
Check-in was a BREEZE, and Andrew at the front desk was extremely helpful, making sure we had all the info we needed - maps, directions, etc.
I heard that Centro was Calgary's first and only 'boutique' motel. I figured: a motel is a motel..right? Well, Centro is different, and they've set a new standard for sure. The decor is great, the duvets were sooo comfortable, and the SOAP - I'd go back again just for the soap. It has this exfoliating grit in it, you feel like you had a spa treatment after you get out of the shower, which by the way has a full flow shower head, not that 'needle spray'
My usual fear about motels is 'what sort of smell will I encounter when I open the door to my room?'
Thankfully Centro put my fears to rest. My room smelled better than my own house. The rooms are kept so meticulously clean, especially since there's no carpet, it's all laminate and and some granite tiles (I think it was granite, but I'm no geologist or flooring expert)
The long and short of it is this: I would stay here for a business trip again, I would stay here for vacation, I would put my family up there, and would tell my friends about it.
When I look at other properties in the area charging similar rates, there's just no comparison. Obviously you can tell how impressed I was. I don't want to overdo it, but it was all just so unique and unexpected.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I booked this motel because I loved the photos of the interior/rooms that are posted on the motel's website. Very chic decor and everything seemed new, new new. BUT, while the beds are new, my husband and I found them cheap and uncomfortable. Our backs were aching for three days (we stayed three nights). The king bed was actually two twin beds pushed together. And the one my husband slept on was tilting toward the "middle" of the king set up. (The motel manager said he was surprised to hear our feedback about the beds. He customers rave about them all the time.) Hmmm. I don't know how to explain that one, to be quite honest. In our opinion, the beds are just really crummy and uncomfortable. The other problem was that we could hear every foot step in the room above us. Part of that problem is that the floors are a wood laminate. Lovely, yes, but very noisy. The manager said that they were planning on carpeting the 2nd floor rooms. He also suggested that they might be doing something else to help insulate the noise. When booking, ask for a 2nd floor room until they get that problem fixed. Also, the windows could use some sound proofing. It was crazy noisy from the street noise until around 2 a.m.

The breakfast is simple continental fare, but it was nice to have. Two spectacularly new Macs are in the lobby for guests to use, and that was a nice touch.

Truly hospitable manager and staff. I don't have criticisms for them, per se.

I would also recommend make the exterior look a little more inviting if they're still working on improvements. The dark paint color choice was a big mistake. The motel looks like a charred building.

Loved having free Wi-Fi.

Would we go back? No. I'd rather have a better bed and less noise to deal with than a chic interior.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
centromotel, Manager at Centro Motel, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Thank you for your review of Centro Motel. We would like to address your concerns, as we are striving to provide exceptional value and comfort for our guests. Please appreciate that we are a brand new property, and are still working through issues that arise from converting an old building into our new motel.

Soundproofing is an issue that the management is taking very seriously, as it is important to us that our guests get a good night's sleep. We are just in the midst of finalizing a solution which will help immensely with keeping the rooms quiet.

With regards to the complaint about our mattresses, please note that we purchased the highest quality mattress that was offered from the mattress supplier, and most guests have remarked on how comfortable the beds are. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the bed comfortable. We will look into ways that we can improve the quality of sleep for our guests in the future.

The exterior of the motel is now nearly finished, with a new sign, flower planets, and patios added onto the property, and you may find a difference in the exterior appearance next time you are in Calgary.

Thank you again for your review, so that we can address any issues and strive to improve them for all future guests.

Best Regards,

Centro Motel
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Really surprised how nice and upscale this motel is! Was exactly like the pictures showed. I definitely felt like I was staying at a high end downtown hotel. Great modern decorations, and you even get a fluffy robe on your bed. The guy at the desk showed us to our room and offered to carry our luggage. Called my family on with their free long distance, enjoyed the new flat screen tv, recharged my iPod with their compatible alarm clock, and they had continental breakfast in the morning. All for only $80. Can't beat a deal like that. HIGHLY recommended if you're in the area

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Centro Motel? Share your experiences!