“Glad to have been there for the most entertaining night of the year!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calypso's Taverna

Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 2,772 Restaurants in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
calgary
“Glad to have been there for the most entertaining night of the year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

We just happened to have been invited by friends to Calypso for Greek Night. Looking forward to good greek food, which is hard to come by once you've had the real thing overlooking the Agean, we left Sat night smiling and most satisfied. This Greek night happens only once a year and we are going to mark next year on the calendar.
We we looking forward to some dolmades in lemon sauce and were disappointed that the special menu for the evening didn't have them on it. Our superstar server, the smiliest bubbliest server ever I think, went to the kitchen and wrangled us some dolmades anyways :) The saganaki and mussells were also great appies, well done and got the appetite going for dinner. Wine was great and I've never been to a restaurant in Calgary and seen so many bottles of wine on tables,. Usually just glasses. Most of our group had the lamb, as it is so well done here. One had the pork chops, he loved them, and I was looking for a great moussaka. I was promised the best, and it was great, but, I think I need to go back to that little place in The Plaka for another of the one that still eludes me.
Of course finished the meal with ouzo and greek coffee while we people watched and enjoyed the amazing talent of the bouzouki players, the local greek families dancing around the restaurant and the belly dancer (who knew you tipped them like strippers anyways??)
All in all, we'll definitely be back, hopefully for next years Greek Night!

• Visited May 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Opa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

It was the first restaurant I went to after I moved to Calgary over two and a half years ago.....and I am returning on a regular basis.
The food is always good, dinner portions are huge, but lunch portions are reasonable (I can manage to finish), the service is good as well.
Overall my favorite restaurant in town.

• Visited April 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Yes, please!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2015

Absolutely love dining at this family-style Greek restaurant. Saganaki is an all-time favourite and they do it very well! The portions are large and so I recommend sharing if you can't decide. My go-to for Greek! Service is always pleasant and they make you feel at home.

Visited May 2014
“So much more potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2015

I took my children and grandson for lunch and while I can in no way complain about the food or service, I really felt this place could be so much more. The service was fantastic and the professionalism of the staff and there knowledge of the menu was great. The food was good, but not OMG, I need to tell everyone about this place, I was particularly disappointing with the Greek salad while although imaginative was not honoring the traditional Greek Salad. I found the character and theme of the restaurant very weak. To me when you go into a Greek restaurant you typically know what kind of restaurant you are in by the atmosphere and music you are surrounded with. The Calypso's atmosphere could just as well be a road side diner with Roman rather that Greek decorations but with good Greek food. Would I go back for good Greek food? Absolutely but not a "must take friends" place.

• Visited February 2015
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Greek!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2014

We were tired and couldn't make up our minds on dinner, so we stopped here on the way home, having driven past it hundreds of times with vague promises to "check it out some time". What a great choice.

We got there just after five, and there were plenty of tables (it was starting to fill up pretty well for a Thursday night by the time we left). The waitress was wonderfully friendly, and we decided to split a bunch of appies rather than go with a whole meal each. The trio of dips were wonderful - some of the best tzatziki in the city, and a spicy dip that I devoured with the heaps of pita. The Caesar salad was nothing too special, but a solid salad nonetheless. The meatballs, although more sausage-shaped than balled, were wonderful - hot, tender and full of flavour, with a bit of cinnamon for that real Greek flavour.

Overall, the service was great, the food came out quickly, and disappeared just as fast. We'll be back!

• Visited December 2014