“Trendy” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dodge City, Kansas
“Trendy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was visiting Calgary from the states and decided to spend the weekend at Hotel Le Germain. Upon arrival there was a slight delay checking in due to the individual at the front desk being fairly new as he explained. Other than that staff did a excellent job meeting my needs. The hotel is conveniently located with many restaurants within walking distance. However, valet services were prompt and courtesy whenever driving was needed. The layout of the hotel is inviting and great for socializing outside of your room. The loft style rooms are amazing, and being 6’5 the oversized rainfall shower was well appreciated.

Moving forward, I see no need to stay anywhere else when visiting Calgary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed in a Superior Room for 2 nights while visiting for business. Had stayed in a Luxury Room on my previous visits therefore was used to the big space of the bigger rooms. This said the Superior Room was fantastic with all the amenities I could want, very clean and great bed.

Even though the hotel was sold out during this visit the service was once again great, very friendly and efficient. Breakfast was delicious as usual with good choices and friendly service for hot drinks.

I will say that the gym keeps getting better with each visit as they continue to add new equipment. The views from the rooftop are very nice and adds to the benefit of visiting the gym. I was also told that they have now opened a sauna but did not have time to try it.

One of the highlights of the trip was dinner at Char Cut. We have been going to this restaurant on each visit but the food here is delicious, well priced and fresh.

Continues to be our go to hotel in Calgary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello Ridgesas,

Just want to thank you for the fantastic review. We really appreciate the comments and have shared them with our team.

Mark Schaay
Rooms Division Manager
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and i arrived at Le Germain Hotel in Calgary after a gruelling 26 hours travel from Australia. As soon as we arrived, we were welcomed by a lovely girl on the front desk by the name of Christine. Ever so polite and helpful, the check in was swift and easy and the car was sorted with the complimentary valet parking we got with Expedia. The rain shower in the bathroom was a god send after so many hours of travel, it was the biggest i have ever experienced! The room was massive and well appointed as was the contemporary bathroom. The king bed and linen was super comfortable and we slept well on the 7th floor. The hotel is situated right across the road from the Calgary Tower which makes it easy to find if you don't have a GPS and are driving. We ate dinner downstairs at Charcut (be sure to book online prior to your arrival as it gets extremely busy) and it was fantastic. Great beer list and great food menu - not so great if meat isn't your thing though! Breakfast was complimentary on the 2nd floor. It was a simple but tasty affair consisting of cereals/granola/muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit, pastries, toast and condiments and juice. The only bad thing was the coffee - disgusting, but owning a cafe in Australia myself, i am spoilt and have high standards. We did find around the corner though a place called Insomnia (cnr macdougal & 8th) just 2 blocks from Le Germain where the coffee was decent and staff lovely. All in all if ever back in Calgary Le Germain would be a given for us - AWESOME!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was traveling across country for work and was spending 4 days per city in a hotel. This hotel was exceptional. They pay attention to the smallest details to ensure you have a comfortable and luxurious stay. There were many outlets for chargers, computers etc. The bathroom was stunning with ample storage and supplies. Leaving was a disappointment. I've traveling all over the world and this has been the best hotel experience I've ever had. Highly recommend - AND it was the most affordable hotel I stayed in while traveling across Canada!

Room Tip: I have a feeling every room is a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hudson, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed there for two nights. Overall, it is a beautiful, very chic hotel.

The style of the public spaces and the rooms is VERY modern. The rooms are actually on the dark side and have what I'd call "mood" lighting. The fixtures and furntiure are very modern. The bed was very comfortable.

I found the staff universally pleasant and helpful, exactly what I'd expect at a nicer hotel. I have to say that Amanda, who worked at the Front Desk and in the Lobby was particularly pleasant and helpful.

The included continental breakfast was fine. We also had lunch one day at the attached restaurant and it was excellent.

I do have a couple of negatives. First, if you are looking for a warm, homey kind of place, this isn't it. The modern look was beautiful, but at times I found it a little cold. My wife really liked the "rain" shower-head, but I have to say I didn't particularly. The free Wi-Fi did work great.

Second, the room seemed to have rather limited storage space. There was an open "closet" with some shelves and two drawers, and a limited amount of rack/hanger area. There was something that looked like a closet but had a key broken off in it - when we called down to the desk about it, we were told that was the air-conditioner (which worked very well). If you have a lot of stuff to put away, I think you are going to have problems.

Third, the parking and driving around downtown Calgary is difficult. When we found the hotel, we were on the wrong side of the street, and it took me 10 minutes on all the various one-way streets to get "turned around" so I was in front of the hotel. And then, there was a delivery truck in the single spot to pull up for valet parking. I stopped in a driveway while my wife ran inside to get a valet. It was a little frustrating.

I still would recommend it if you are looking for a chic place to stay.

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

After spending some of my 21 day tour of Canada in OK motels, this hotel was a delight...the room was spotless, the design very modern, the bed soft and very comfortable, the bathroom large with a great walk in shower.. I can not say enough nice things about the room and also the staff, they were helpful and looked the part in their designer uniforms...adding to the feeling that I was in a luxury hotel...and definately on holiday...

If I was to find fault..I would say the sliding doors to the bathroom were a bit problematic and swung up instead of along the runners when you tried to close them and I was given an out of date leaflet to an attraction which was closed when I went there, but on a positive note I was given free water for my journey when I left....

Weekend prices were cheap $199, but for a Monday night the prices shot up to £349 ...this was because I was told it was a business hotel in the week... Business people with expense accounts no doubt...but it was so lovely I paid the price and I had a great sleep and a late check out..

The hotel is right opposite the Calgary Tower, which you can go up as many times in one day as you like...day and night views of the city... It is also 2 minute walk from Stephen(son)? street which has nice retaurants for an evening meal...just ask the receptionist..

Would love to stay again...

Room Tip: Stay over the weekend and book in advance online to find a good deal...
Halifax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is beautiful. Very modern styling and lovely decor. The location is great, just a block from the conference centre where my meetings were. The included breakfast was nice, though not much variety.

The spa was lovely, I had a nice massage the day I arrived.

My main problem was with the front desk. The day I was leaving I had meetings all day, was sick and my flight wasn't until the evening. I went to the front desk in the morning to see if I could have an early check out and was told by the 3 people at the desk that I could check out at 2pm. At 12:05 the front desk called up to my room and told me that check out time was noon and I had to be out of my room immediately. When I told them I had a 2pm checkout they basically told me I was lying, that the person at the desk that approved that didn't have the authority and that I had 10 minutes to vacate my room or I would be charged for another night.

Very poor customer service and because of this I will not stay at this hotel again. Unfortunately because the hotel was beautiful otherwise. The management needs to instruct the front desk staff how to deal with customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Le Germain Calgary? Share your experiences!