“Great hotel! Clean & modern” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   209 4th Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta T2G 0C6, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lethbridge, Canada
“Great hotel! Clean & modern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here on September long weekend and we were so pleasantly surprised with our choice. We chose Delta Bow Valley after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Check in was a breeze, and the front desk staff were so friendly! We paid $11 for parking for the night, which in Calgary, I have noticed is reasonable. Parking was pretty full but we managed to find a spot on the lowest floor. The elevator from the parkade to the hotel was kind of in need of an update but it was fine. The elevator needs an active room key to be able to use so I really liked that feature.
The room was wonderful! We got a king room and the bed was fabulous! So comfortable and lots of extra, oversized pillows! We had a great view of downtown Calgary, with the tower just out our window! The windows also opened, which is such a nice feature (until the firetrucks came through at about 2am, but that's nothing new in Calgary, so it didn't bother us too much) Also, the hallways were super quiet on the 19th floor!
The bathroom was nice and larger than most standard bathrooms. Super clean and bright. I loved the curved shower curtain rod and the counter top was more than spacious enough for all my make-up and hair tools! I will mention that the towels could have been nicer; they seemed kind of like a Walmart special.
We had a great flat screen TV and there was an alarm clock with the fancy IPod dock on it. There was also a fridge conveniently hidden in a cupboard of the desk! The internet was FREE and easy to hook up too. It was a good connection too, not slow at all and super handy to have!
We really liked this hotel and would absolutely stay here again. HOWEVER, our poor car got keyed by some ignorant person while parked in the parkade. This is absolutely not the hotel's fault, but I will say that the quality of people in Calgary is going downhill. My fiancé and I are Canadian, and we love to travel. Unfortunately, people like this make us want to spend our vacation time outside of Canada. We have never, ever had a problem with people in the US like we have here in Canada. It is truly saddening.
Anyway... Great hotel!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
EAKBatDBV, General Manager at Delta Bow Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Greetings,

Thank you for your post in conjunction with your visit to our hotel over the Labour Day weekend. I was so pleased that you chose our hotel as a result of postings from previous guests and that you truly enjoyed your experience throughout your visit. I appreciate the time you have taken to provide a detailed review of the hotel, it’s services and particularly our staff. I was sorry to learn of the situation with your car and do wish to say that this is not a normal occurrence. I do thank you for passing this along however so that we can be vigilant in our walks through the hotel property. Indeed I apologize that something like this would have happened and it is unfortunate given Calgary truly is a wonderful city!

I hope that you will come back to the Delta Bow Valley the next time you are in Calgary and we look forward to serving you again.

James Tingley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Delta hotel is located in central Calgary, close to the theatre,shopping centre, bow river, chinatown, just steps from Calgary international airport and the ladies in the front desk are so helpful , they show us where to go around the city, and give us many detalis

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
EAKBatDBV, General Manager at Delta Bow Valley Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were glad to hear that you were enjoyed your stay at Delta Bow Valley. We love hearing that our staff were helpful and you liked our location. We look forward to seeing you again and extending our hospitality to you once more.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Good 4 star hotel with good rooms, facilities, service and food. I agree with an earlier post though that internet connection is poor - slow, if working at all! Quite expensive for a one night stay, but comfortable and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
EAKBatDBV, General Manager at Delta Bow Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Greetings,

Thank you for your recent review of the Delta Bow Valley. I appreciate your positive comments and assure you that we are working hard with our service provider to improve Internet connectivity and reliability.

Jame Greetings,
Bromsgrove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We arrived at the hotel after a long flight from the UK to find we weren't booked in (Thomas Cook take note). The hotel dealt with it very swiftly and found us a room as well as phoning the next hotel (In Banff) to check we were booked in there, fortunately we were. The room was clean and spacious with a view over the city towards the river, which was about a 300 yard walk away.
It is about a ten minute walk away from an area with plenty of bars and eateries and the Calgary Tower with it's observation platform. We ordered food from the bar and found it relatively good value and certainly excellent sized portions.
Back in our room they had thoughtfully provided a complimentary plate of cheese & crackers to compensate for the booking not being there - hardly their fault but a nice touch.
A pleasant hotel and well positioned for the things that Calgary has to offer, recommended.

Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The room we got was very nice (just thier basic cheapest one) and the lobby was lovely. When we arrived they were completely full and the parking was full as well, the valet parking attendants were running all around confused telling customers we wouldnt be able to park here and had to go park on our own (which was incorrect as it turns out). We had issues with thier main parking lot as well as the backup parking lot, where we were being issued a parking pass and it would end up not working which would make it so we could not leave, we ended up being late for the wedding we were in town to attend because of this. It also happened as we were leaving the hotel the final time, the manager came down to the overflow parking with us and attempted to get it to work, and they did give us a 25 % discount for all of our troubles.

The hotel was very central, and had a nice view.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
EAKBatDBV, General Manager at Delta Bow Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Greetings,

I apologize that you were late attending a wedding during your stay at the Delta Bow Valley in August due to the lack of parking availability and later, malfunctioning equipment. We have been working with our parking management company, Vinci Parking, to ensure that our primary and secondary lots are seamless and that this sort of incident does not occur again.

Thank you for your honest feedback which allows us to better improve our offerings and services.

James Tingley,
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Traveled here on our young family's first hotel stay. My wife, twin 3 year old girls and me. I researched the ideal hotel quite a bit because I knew we'd need things to keep the family busy all the time. I figured a hotel downtown with lots of things to walk to and do, close to the river trails, with a pool, and kids eat free breakfast that the delta bow valley was our best bet.

I found an excellent rate advertised on an obscure travel site for $122 per night for a delta two queen room. I called the Delta 1-800 number and they matched the rate.

1) The bell staff was very helpful when they saw us pull up with the kids and realized we had our hands full. Throughout our stay they continued to jump up and help with even the simplest of things. I haven't seen such a responsive and helpful bell staff in a hotel for many years.

2) Children welcome? The delta web site emphasized that children were welcome at their hotel. I knew the Delta Bow Valley was in the business district of Calgary but assumed that I could trust their own statements. Upon check-in my kids were supposed to receive a kids "welcome pack". I thought this would be a great surprise for my kids and it would make them feel more welcome. But when I checked in the agent explained they've been "out" of them for quite some time, I kind of assumed she'd offer to get two sent up to me within the next 24 hours but instead it seems this is an advertised feature no longer offered.

3) Kids eat free? - For breakfast only kids eat free with one paying adult per kid. I thought this was great until I saw the adult prices! $16 for the continental buffet (ie muffins, fruit and coffee) or $21 for the full buffet. At $42 for breakfast my family could have done better elsewhere. That being said, the french toast made with nutella and bananas was excellent, unfortunately the waitress we had on our third day seemed to feel that wasn't something our kids could have as it wasn't on the kids menu.

4) Pool - Nice sized pool for family splash time, hot tub and full change facilities at the pool were nice. There is also a good deck that would be great to use on hot days, except it seems to have turned into the smoking deck, with smokers going through the pool area to get access to it.

5) Room - Great rooom.

6) Nice touches - Lemonade and Iced Tea served in the lobby in the late afternoon. We started to look forward to that on our way back to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review of the Delta Bow Valley. I was pleased to see that many of the hotels services and amenities were to your liking.

While the Delta Bow Valley is primarily a business orientated hotel, we do encourage families to visit and I was disappointed that your children did not receive welcome gifts. Please accept my apology as we could have offered an alternate for your children.

Thank you once again for taking the time and effort for a detailed review and I hope that you will come back to stay with us again the next time you are in Calgary.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Not much to say except that we were happy with our stay

- Decor is updated in some parts and original in others, but overall quite nice.
- Staff were very friendly and helpful
- Decent location in down town Calgary (walking distance to many things)
- Can park your own car, which is nice because it also means you can access it when you want
- Internet, don't both and it is costly

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
EAKBatDBV, General Manager at Delta Bow Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Greetings,

I appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post your experience. Thank you for your positive comments on staff and facilities; we are continually updating our facilities and amenities and hope that you will stay again with us the next time you are in Calgary.

James Tingley

Been to Delta Bow Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!