“Nice hotel - sketchy environment” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #26 of 100 Hotels in Calgary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice hotel - sketchy environment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed here this weekend. Amazing staff....waiting to take vehicle, room service, front desk etc. Beds were comfortable, linen soft and plush. The room was small, but it did suffice for our brief stay. What disturbed me about this property was the blatant openness surrounding the um..escort business. There were 'ladies' everywhere. Picking up clients downstairs when guests would go for smoke breaks, in the elevators. Wow! At an upscale property with the brand name of Westin, I would've thought this subculture would be better masked/hidden.
I'm uncomfortable returning to this property with my family.

Room Tip: We stayed on 12th floor. Beside ice machine & elevators. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear AlbertaMandy1,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip advisor.

We are very surprised to read your comments as what you are describing is definitely not representative of our week end environment.

May I ask you to please contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com in order to share more details on this?

Didier Luneau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

great experienced professonal staff, great location wth a very comfortable bed...
check in and out of hotel with a flash...
it meets Westin class and style and quality standards.. .wll stay there again

hghly recommend...

Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in The Westin about 6 times now and sofar it has never dissapointed me. Rooms are nice and quite. Bedding is very good, like the bathroom. Concierges are service oriented, staff is friendly. Rooms are clean, but if you opt for free perks then house keeping will not do your room. Wonderful scent in the lobby that always makes me feel welcome.
Breakfast is expensive, buffet choice is good but not oustanding.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The westin last night with friends whilst on vacation. I was immediately taken back by the warm and friendly team... The valet guy, the reception team ember, the bar tender all amazing and the room quality is very good with excellent beds and room amenities.

I would recommend this hotel highly and without doubt I will look for westin he hotels in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Hospitalitygav007,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to welcome you back.

We appreciate the positive comments about our associates and property.

We hope to see you again!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed this past weekend and normally I would not give a Hotel like this a 5 star. I save those for Four Seasons stays/Fairmont etc...but this Hotel did impress me this weekend. I have stayed here before but this time I found the service was better than ever! It is a solid four star accommodations but they did have five star service. We took our Chihuahua and he was treated like a king. When the valet brought our luggage in he right away asked if he could get us some ice which he did immediately. At mid-night one night my husband was snoring and I called down to see if by chance if they had ear plus. THEY DID and brought them to me right away. Very nice.... Loved the weekend rate. We will return!

Room Tip: Go high for the view.
Dear geriann,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your postive comments on our service and amenities. I am delighted to hear that your Chihuahua was treated like royalty and that you had a good night's rest.

We look forward to having you all with us again.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Polished service, great location for downtown business meetings or attractions, nicely renovated guest rooms. My only complaint is that their fitness centre, although located on the top floor with nice city views while you work out, is quite small. The cardio area and weight area are each located in separate rooms. Cardio area is ok but for such a large hotel, it can get very busy at peak times. The weight area is effectively full with 3 people in it and has fairly limited equipment. I love the location, rooms, and service of this hotel but since I like to stay in shape when I travel on business, I think next time I'll try somewhere else to get access to a better fitness centre.

Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We decided to go away at the last minute and, having stayed there previously, the Westin was the only hotel I even looked at availability for. Lucky for us, they had space and we were on our way the next day. When we arrived, Max the guest services rep was incredibly friendly and helpful - after asking why we were in town (a quick romantic escape) he found us an upgraded room on a high floor, away from the elevator. He also asked if we needed help making reservations for the evening and the next day and cemented our brunch plans with a voucher for the really great restaurant onsite - Essence. The room was great - clean, the beds are INCREDIBLY comfortable and there was plenty of space. With the amazing downtown location being so close to all the incredible dining options in Calgary, we didn't even have to drive to our dinner reservation or our after dinner pub. We took advantage of the late check-out (3:00 PM on a Sunday makes for a much more relaxed morning!) and had a weekend we can't wait to do there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Shannon L,

Welcome Back to The Westin Calgary.

I am delighted to hear that your overall stay was memorable and that Max made you feel special. I am happy that you took advantage of our Westin Weekend program for a late checkout of 3pm on Sundays for some extended relaxation.

We look forward to your next stay.

Didier Luneau, General Manager

Been to The Westin Calgary? Share your experiences!