“Westin, Calgary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Westin, Calgary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very nice hotel, central to downtown shops with covered walkways giving immediate access to the +15 area and all downtown shopping. Rooms very clean with all necessary facilities. Breakfast pretty good with buffet and al a carte selection. Bar very pleasant with quite lovely waitresses. Being central Calgary it was a bit expensive but overall I enjoyed my brief stay. Be wary of Alberta at this time of the year (very late Oct). They had had their first snow, temperature was about -3C but dry. Clouds were heavy with snow which made visibility for driving poor and it was only safe to drive on the main roads. However, Banff is near for skiing.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in rooms that the windows are back to back with other rooms. Not very attractive loo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Back again after a little over a year.

I was back in the pokey rooms again in the older part of the building but I didnt mind. They are fresh and modern. I personally prefer showers to baths to the large shower is greatly appreciated. The heavenly bed was just that and I appreciated the complimentary wifi.

However the big accolade goes to the very friendly and chatty staff who work here. They all seem very young which perhaps gives the impression that this could be a training hotel but I certainly did not see any form of amateur behaviour. Everyone I dealt with was friendly, chirpy, smiley, approachable and most importantly they could answer my queries with genuine answers and when they had no answer they went and found it for me. This is the sort of professionalism which sets one hotel apart from another.

I shall be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Irishstandards,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you that you had an heavenly experience at our property.
Day after day I take a true pleasure to work with such a professional and engaged team and your message gave me a new opportunity to recognize their awesome work!

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Be well

Didier Luneau, General Manager
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I think I stayed in the older part of the building? I thought it was a nice hotel I enjoyed my stay and would stay again, but I felt it was nothing special.. The bed was very comfortable could have taken that thing home.. The tv could have been bigger was quite small.. Great location to walk places in Calgary right downtown, also parking near by at $20 a night I think..

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Booked through hotwire and was very impressed.
The room was well done and the bed was very comfortable. Loved the crisp clean linens.
The only fault was I had to park in a self park behind the Old Spaghetti Factory since my vehicle had a roof box and was too high to fit in the parkade. I was nerves all night long that it would get broken into.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Calgary in July 2012. We travelled to Calgary for my aunt's wedding and after that were heading up to Banff. Overall this was a great experience! I got the hotel for the right price and booked at the right time through Hotwire (months later UFC was announced the same weekend of our stay and prices skyrocketed)!

Upon arrival at the Westin we checked in with Jane. Jane went above and beyond! I asked her how much wifi was at the hotel...after telling us the cost we decided against it. BUT then, Jane offered us complimentary wifi for the whole of our stay. That was awesome and unexpected! Our room was also gorgeous and very clean! During our stay there was construction on one of the streets below and the hotel actually took it upon themselves to provide ear plugs, wow!

The only complaint I would say I have is that the wifi in our room was not that great. There was hardly any signal and so many times we would be kicked off of the wifi! I called down once and they did send a man up, however, it didn't make a difference.

Other than that, the overall experience was great. The staff was excellent and friendly, and the rooms comfortable and clean. The hotel is also conveniently located in the downtown core making it walking distance to everything with many restaurants around, also a Keg is located in the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a strong wifi signal.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear AleahC.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Jane's customer service. As for the signal issue you had, we are currently working on deployment of CISCO and SHAW systems that will help gain some signal strength and stability in our hotel.

I am happy to hear that overall you had a great experience at our property and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Thanks again for your feedback

Didier Luneau
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My stay at the Westin was a good one. This was a quick weekend getaway to Calgary. The stay started with self parking underground of the hotel. There was plenty of well marked heated parking. The lobby was easily reachable and smelled amazing - like tropical flowers. The customer service during check in was top notch. My room was ready early and everything went as booked. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and the bed was comfortable. 2 bottles of complimentary water were a nice addition. The room temperature was easy to control and accurate. I would love to stay here again. There were a couple of small annoyances that can be overlooked. 1. I have never seen or used such a small bathroom (I had a hard time turning around). The glass enclosed shower is great, but you have to get in it to turn it on and the water is mighty cold at first. 2. I don't stay downtown very often and was surprised at paying $19 for parking in the hotel parkade.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Nice hotel although a little dated. Rooms are very comfortable and clean with all the amenities ( robes, water bottles, toothpaste etc) Very well located in the downtown core. staff at the front desk were very pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Calgary? Share your experiences!