“Top Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Top Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is a very good hotel, clean, good amenities, great location. The bus to the ski fields picks up from the front of this hotel. It's a short walk to major shopping and the river. Staff are lovely, breakfast is very good (buffet or a la carte).

Room Tip: Don't be too concerned about being close to the elevator, the sound of it's movement is not...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Stayed in a Jr. Suite the night of my fiancés’ company Christmas party! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was clean and very beautiful! Surprisingly staying in downtown Calgary you would think it would be noisy, but it wasn't! We couldn't hear any traffic whatsoever even during rush hour! The party was also held at the Westin. The food was amazing and the banquet room was so nicely done. Even thinking of having our wedding there! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms that face North have a great view of the River.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed at the Westin for 5 days and everything from the moment we stepped out of our vechicle was wonderful. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, we stayed in the business tower, our room was very clean, very up to date, the beds were amazing, I do miss the beds. The Westin is in the heart of great shopping walking outside or inside, it's only mins from the Core shopping centre, everywhere we went everyone was friendly. The Keg not only had the best food, the staff were unreal, we ate dinner there on 3 different nights with company and each time we were never disappointed. We can't wait to return this spring.

• Stayed December 2011
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Westin in downtown Calgary on Dec18/2011. From the time we pulled under the canopy on arrival to when the valet brought our car out for us the next morning, the service was absolutely excellent. The hotel itself is spotless and the room was very comfortable.
Now for the one drawback:
I wish I had the job of "Quality Control" for the housekeeping staff. There was "Disgusting" black mildew in the bottom corners of the shower and a lot all along the bottom of the sliding door track. About 10 minutes and some Lysol and a small brush would solve this problem. Quite a few hotels seem to have this same problem and it could be remedied with periodic inspections by a "Quality Control" person and proper training for and monitoring of the housekeeping staff. The only reason for this as far as I'm concerned is laziness.
A few other minor things I would change are: The shower door only opens one way so you can't reach in and turn the water on to get it hot (which took about 10 minutes) without flooding the floor. The bathrobe rack on the wall was ready to fall off, and if these places want to go "Green" and have the guests re-use the towels, there should be towel racks on the wall where they can be hung up to dry. This to me is more important than "modern design".
Other than that, like I said before, the valet,front desk, and porter staff were excellent and went out of their way to assist us. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I was very surprised at the lack of street noise and we were only on the 5th floor. When we have to go to Calgary for downtown appointments, we will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, Director of Rooms at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear OnepeopleOneblood,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for providing us with your very important feedback. As we strive to provide impeccable guest service, value and cleanliness, your input is essential. We apologize that the guest room cleanliness was not to our usual high standards. We will continue our efforts and I have passed on your concerns to our housekeeping department. I do look forward to welcoming you back again, and this time, exceeding your expectations in this area!

Kind regards,

Marcos Yu, Director of Rooms
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

On check in... welcome Mr. LifeofRyley, I notice this is your 10th stay this year at a Westin (actually SPG). All we have left are rooms beside or across from the elevator. Ugh.

Room was small but nicely appointed in typical Westin muted colours and bed was comfortable (which was all I really needed this stay). I could hear the continual low rumble of the elevators from my room across from them, but was tired enough to sleep through it.

The room probably had the smallest bathroom I've exver experienced - total size 6' x 7' but further reduced by the closet on the other side. No bathtub and the shower stall measured 2' x 3 1/2' with a rain shower (I far prefer the Speakman showers that are normally used in Westins). There was a sliding door for the bathroom that when opened prevented you from accessing the closet.

Staff were all friendly and location is good.

Room Tip: From what I hear the Sheraton Eau Clair is a better property if you want to stay downtown at a Starw...
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I arrived from Europe, was warmly greeted and didn't have to leave the hotel for the night. The Keg restaurant is attached to the hotel, as is Starbucks. Although not a big fan of the Keg, it was a good meal and I could sit in the bar,watch the hockey game and not feel out of place as a single. Following dinner, I slept like a baby, hit the Starbucks in the morning before a quick ride to the airport.
The hotel has been renovated since my last visit. The service was friendly, the room was great. The package included free high speed access as well as unlimited phone calls within North America. I think the price of this is around $20 if purchased separately. This was a pleasant surprise, having just come from London hotel where the cost of a local call was 1.80 pounds per call.

Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've stayed at the Westin Calgary a couple of times now. I fly from NYC to Calgary fairly often on business, and I prefer the Fairmont Palliser, but occasionally that hotel is either full or out of budget for my firm, so the Westin is second choice. It is a more than adequate option for a business traveler - clean rooms, decent room service food, good location near all of the energy company HQs, good restaurants. Pool and gym are important to me on business travel, and unfortunately the Westin is currently doing construction on both - the pool is open but the space is unsightly due to construction. The gym is close to unusable, moved temprarily into a too small meeting room until a new space is built up by the pool. My other complaint is that the only restaurant open for dinner for the two nights I was there was the Keg Steakhouse, which is a popular Calgary destination, and thus always full with a waiting list. As an exhausted business traveler, I'd like to be able to come downstairs and have a quick and quiet meal before getting back to work or calling it a night - really don't want to wait 20 minutes for a table. The hotel has a second restaurant (from which they serve room service), but for some reason it isn't open for service on weeknights. Really should be, for the reason just highlighted, ie, for HOTEL GUESTS to get a meal. Anyway, those are my somewhat petty complaints, on the whole I recommend the hotel, clean, good service, etc. My wife likes the leaf-shaped soap I bring home too!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Calgary? Share your experiences!