“Good Family Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary

You added Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary to your Saves list
Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3503 114th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta T2Z 3X2 , Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Ranked #35 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Canada
“Good Family Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend as part of a minor sports team. The hotel does a really good job of allocating sports team rooms all together. This is convenient not only for the team, but I hope it lessons the irritation for other guests that kids teams can sometimes cause.

The Hotel is walking distance to the Deerfoot Casino & also offers free shuttle service there. This makes it a great option for concert / casino patrons who are not staying right at the Deerfoot Inn for whatever reason.

The local area has become more developed in recent years so there are quite a few amenities within 3 min drive including, Sobeys Grocery Store, ABC Restaurant, Subway, DQ, McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Horton's, Liquor Store etc.

The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. We had a standard room with 2 queen beds. You can also get a room with 1 King & Sofabed. We visited in one of the family suites that had a King Bed, kitchenette, bathroom & separate bedroom with bunks. I would consider booking one of those suites next time! There was individual climate control in the room that seemed to work well. All rooms have a mini fridge, but not a microwave.

The pool is very small with a waterslide and hot tub. The area around the pool is far too small and should be at least twice the size. It is virtually impossible to sit in the pool area to supervise your child due to the small size. There is one sitting area, but because it is so tight you will get wet sitting there.

The breakfast is more extensive than the average continental offering served at other hotels. There are several hot items along with lots of beverage options including smoothie style drinks. They also offer extended hours on weekends from 7-11 which is very generous. Due to the number of sports teams staying the breakfast was very busy and crowded. Due to the volume of guests it was impossible for the breakfast staff to keep up with replenishing food items & clearing tables, dishes were constantly running out also. So although the offering was very good, the hectic feeling took away from the enjoyment.

I would stay here again with my kids and definitely on a sports trip. However, I would not choose this hotel for a quiet getaway as it is very busy and loud since it caters to sports teams. This is probably a non issue during the week, but be prepared if staying over a weekend. I would not be surprised if this hotel fields a lot of complaints over noise in the hallways and breakfast running out etc. I had nothing to complain over as my team was contributing to these issues!

Room Tip: ask to be away from Sports Teams
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SPISCGY, Assistant Front Office Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Momstravelwith3
Thank You for your review. It can definitely be a busy place when we have sports team coming to stay with us however the excitement of the kids during their time here is always welcome and enjoyable for us as well. We are definitely a popular team hotel in the city and part of that is because of the breakfast that we offer. It is nice for our teams to have a convenient place to grab something before a big game and for parents to not have to worry about where they will go to eat. We have an outstanding breakfast team but yes it can get a little busy over this time, fortunately I find people are fairly understanding if the items are low and clean up is a little behind. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan to come again. The family suites are definitely a big hit. I hope that you are able to enjoy one of these rooms on your next trip. We are offering some great family packages throughout the year and I encourage you to check them out. We look forward to seeing you again and possibly your team in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Ideal location and great value for money. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the buffet breakfast is all you need. We always stay here when we are going to a concert at the Deerfoot Inn because of the great location. There are 2 elevators and vending and ice machines available. We have not used the pool but it seems to always be popular with the kids staying at the hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Atalanta1
Thank-You for taking the time to submit your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay while here in Calgary and look forward to having you come again. Our breakfast has definitely been a bonus for our guests. We have recently added some new items to our menu and are always happy to hear feedback on breakfast as well as continue to try new things. We have also recently added additional vending machines to each floor making it a little more convenient for our guests that are not staying on the main floor. I hope that you will come back to visit us again soon and perhaps on your next trip give the waterslide a try.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here one night on our way to Lethbridge. The room we had was a king suite which had a king bed in the main area and then a nice little bedroom with 2 twin beds and a tv. The room had a small kitchenette area. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very spacious. There is a water slide and a small pool. The pool was only big enough for the sliders to splash into and there was no real room for playing around.... There is a nice continental breakfast that offers cold cereal and meat/cheese options and then there are hot items also like eggs, sausage patties and hash brown patties. It was a nice stop over to stay at. The deer foot casino is right next door, if you wanna try your luck.

Dear Buller_6
I would like to thank you for taking a moment to give some feedback on your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room spacious and clean. We recently accepted the House Keeping Award for 2013 and have an outstanding team that we can thank for that. The breakfast you had explained is one of our favorite features at the hotel and are glad to hear some feed back as we recently changed our menu and added in new items. I am sorry that you may have not been able to enjoy the pool to its full potential as you are right it can get busy down there; however we do our best to ensure that all guests can utilize the pool and enjoy themselves. I hope that you will come back to see us soon, we always look forward to having return guests.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We came down to Calgary on a family trip this past week. Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted and were able to upgrade our standard suite to one of the family suites. My children were thrilled with the welcoming gifts that were awaiting them. The rooms were spacious and took care of our needs. There were no loud parties or guests and we were not woken up at any time from outside noise. I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Dear PamelaL
Thank You for your review. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to upgrade you during your stay as the family suites are our most popular rooms. They definitely give a little extra space for your family. We are offering some great attraction packages this winter and have been voted one of the top 10 cool kid friendly hotels in Canada. I hope that you and your family will be able to come and stay with us again and take advantage of some great deals this year.
Christina Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights on a recent visit to Calgary and found this place to be clean and comfortable! They even offer free drinks/snacks from 6-7 p.m., and a nice hot buffet breakfast in the morning! Some delicious cookies are left in your room at night too!! Staff was very pleasant, and this location is right by the casino.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear EllaneeJ
I appreciate your wonderful comment about your stay with us. We have won the housekeeping award for 2013 and are happy to have that honor. The cookies in the room are always popular; guests are always telling us how nice of a treat it is as a little snack right before bed. You seemed to have been fortunate enough to stay with us on a Wednesday evening. Every Wednesday we offer an appreciation night for all of our guest which includes appetizers and drinks, I am glad you had a chance to enjoy that during your visit. I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed here with groups, just our family (with 3 kids) and just as a couple. When we stayed as a couple we book the Jacuzzi room which is so relaxing after a long day shopping or on a plane. The rates are so reasonable especially with your AMA discount. Rooms are very clean, large enough for a cot when staying with 5 people. the breakfast now has gluten free bagels and a few other options with their continental breakfast which is a huge plus for me as I used to bring my own GF oatmeal packages. When we have stayed as a family group celebration, we use the meeting room for all day games, in and out swimming with the kids and just relaxing talk time. The hotel makes coffee and water available to us there. Last time the room was booked so they let us use the breakfast room at no charge which was just as good. The only negative experience was when we came in at 2 in the morning from a long plane trip and they had forgotten to put the requested cot in our room for our daughter which took some time to get as they only had the desk clerk working at that hour. We stay in Calgary A LOT and have to been to many places. This is usually our pick for the value, cleanliness, location and quality for the last 3 years.

Room Tip: Staying as a couple? Ask about the jacuzzi room for a small charge. It's worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SPISCGY, Front Office Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear PhotogirlCanada,
Thank you for letting us know that the little changes we have introduced to our breakfast room, are in fact important changes, ensuring the great satisfaction for an array of travelers. in the next few days we going to unveil our new items for our breakfast menu asking guests to rate their satisfaction with the new items. which will include healthy freshly in-house baked granola bars, fruit smoothies, and gluten free products. I would like to mention as well that many of our items, are gluten free, due to the certification of the factory producing the products, it cannot be certified as allergy safe gluten free, however if it is a dietary preference the products are gluten free. I would like to apologize of the little hiccup you have experienced when checking in, and i will follow up with the appropriate departments to address this disturbance in service. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Calgary, and don't forget to check out our Pick You Adventure packages which gives you great savings for family attraction packages starting at $189 per night.
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Recently stayed at this property for a hockey tournament April 25th to 28th. I was impressed with the cleanliness of this hotel. The rooms were big enough for us (family of 4). The breakfast was just average and get there early bc they tend to run out 45 min before it closes or just do not restock it fast enough.
My other complaint was with the location of the rm. We were rm 112 right beside the meeting rooms which had a "parent party" both friday and saturday nights. The walls are quite thin so the music cranked and loud socializing until after 2am was very unappreciated. I called down twice to complain and upon check out I recieved nothing but an apology. At the rate of 140.00/tx a night I would have appeciated something. Would have been nice if one of the "party" families had that room.
The pool area was laid out poorly with no where to sit and watch your kids therefore most parents did not supervise and it quickly became very unsafe. The pool itself is too small for playing in.
I stayed here bc our hockey team stayed here. Would I pick this hotel for our next trip to Calgary? No I would not.

Room Tip: Request a rm away from their meeting rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Holban99,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and am sorry to hear that you were unable to experience the hotel as it should be experienced. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy our housekeeping services and the room sizes. I am happy to let you know that our breakfast menu is changing and it is scheduled to include deluxe items such as hash browns and eggs benedicts that are rarely seen in other hotel continental breakfasts. With the new changes the breakfast preparation guidelines will also change to ensure that all food items are served in a timely manner and do not run out at any time. In regards to your room location, when we have weekends with teams we do try to keep all teams together, for this reason you may have been placed on the main floor to have you as near as possible to the other rooms associated with your team however we are always more than happy to accommodate requests and if you have a preference for a specific room location or floor (for instance a higher floor) we encourage you to let us know so that we can place you in the most desirable area. Rooms with location requests are always assigned a room number first to ensure that guest’s needs are met.

Been to Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary? Share your experiences!