“Needs some attention” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Save Saved
You added Nuvo Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Nuvo Hotel Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 12th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R0J1, Canada (Beltline)   |
Special Offer
Wi-Fi
Ranked #55 of 99 Hotels in Calgary
Winnipeg, Canada
“Needs some attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel looked like it had promise from the description and artful photography found online. Booking was easy as with most online transactions. Once arrived at the hotel, which is snuggly nestled between a liquor and a hair style salon, I was greeted by nobody as the office was closed. One I negotiated the push button entry I found an envelop with my with my name on it with instructions to my room. No elevator, not a big problem as I was travelling light, just be aware.
The room was certainly spacious and strikingly similar to a contemporary bachelor suite. I had great difficulty with the TV so finally gave up. The bathroom needed attention in particular the shower curtain was reeking of mildew; I asked to have it replaced to no avail. Day two was escorted in with no hot water! Indeed things can happen anywhere, but it was a massive inconvenience as was the temperature control, I never could get the room cooled off, even with the patio doors open in October in Calgary.
I found the room noisy but more than likely as I had the patio door open to get fresh air. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the kitchen fully decked. If I were staying longer than a few days, the grocery store across the street would be very handy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Nuvo Hotel Suites, and I would like to address your concerns.

With regards to your TV, we are in the midst of upgrading our entire TV selection, and this should be complete by the end of the year. If the TV itself was not working, the staff are happy to arrange that this is resolved as soon as possible.

The hot water did go down in the entire building last week, however we had the issue resolved within 90 minutes after an emergency plumbing call. This has never happened before, and we have taken steps to ensure it never happens again.

Our office is only open from 9am to 11pm, and then we have an after hours arrival procedure. This helps to keep our rates lower, allowing us to offer exceptional value for a hotel stay in downtown Calgary.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Best Regards,

Sarah Webb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

If I would be Canadian I would call it 'awesome' ;-)
We went to Calgary for half a week and looked for a small apartment or b&b as we didn't want to stay in a ordinary hotel (me traveling a lot and having about 200 nights in a hotel per year and my wife hates the rush in the morning at breakfast in a hotel).
We found Nuvo Hotel Suites on a webpage and thought to give it a try as the description sounded nice and rates are affordable (C$ 125 - 175).
We booked a room with balcony to smoke.
Arriving is looked more like a apartment building and reception was on 1st floor in a converted room.
Check in was easy and parking was available 2 minutes away.
Rooms are small, but well equipped, incl. fully equipped kitchen with microwave, build in coffee maker and dishwasher. Coffee, sugar, hot chocolate, cookies, etc are provided foc.
Only negative point is the wall bed with a super soft mattress that caused back pain for both of us (well, me got a broken lumbar vertebra and my wife a slip disc).
Best is the location that is close to everything. Next door is a safeway supermarket, several pubs, Starbucks, etc. and within 5 minutes there is the CBD and 15 min to the airport.
Overall we would come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed for one night. Odd to see a full kitchen in a suite (along with Volrath cookware!). Many items in room (chair, washer/dryer, woodwork) were damaged. Beds and bedding were very comfortable. Felt more like a studio apt or flat than a hotel room. No parking on site -- had to use street parking behind the hotel. Overall, place had a strange feel -- not quite a hotel, not quite an apartment building.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Nederland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It is a little bit strange when you want to check in. This hotel doesn't have a lobby like any other hotel. No, here you have to go to one of the rooms which they use for checking in their guests. That also means that they have limited hours on which they are available for guests and a phonenumber which you can use for the out of office hours. The staff is very friendly. The hotel has their own parking space and they even have a few parkingspaces in a private parking garage. Since we were driving a Toyota Camry, our car had the right size (bigger cars do not fit). The room looks very nice and modern at first sight, but don't look too closely. Otherwise you will see that the finishing is not all that good. But the room had everything you need, even a completely equiped kitchen.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Nuvo is a great place to stay in downtown Calgary. It is beautifully decorated, affordable, comfortable and well equipped with full kitchen and in-suite laundry (although dryer is very slow). Best of all is the staff that bent over backwards to accommodate our every need, including offering to dry our laundry in their commercial machines. Grocery store, wine and beer store and restaurants are right outside the door. The view is not great (into the neighbouring building wall). One does have to climb at least a few steps and there is no elevator, so the disabled should take note. The staff were very helpful helping to haul our bags up. For us, the style, comfort and service overshadowed these small things.

Room Tip: When reserving be sure to specify if you need a pull out couch.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night on a Friday. The room was dark, but nicely decorated & appointed. It was on the 2nd floor with a balcony. It was a warm evening, but I did not feel safe sleeping with the balcony door open. So I used the portable air conditioner. It was extraordinarily loud. Therefore, I had a very poor sleep. As there were no downtown options closer to my meetings, I returned on Monday. They were going to have me move three times in four nights. Thankfully, due to the work of Paul, I only had to move twice. The rooms were comfortable & it was really convenient having the kitchen, particularly as there was a Safeway across the road. The hotel is also well suutated, 10 min walk to downtown ir 17th Ave (lots of restaurants). The staff ate polite & welcoming. I would likely stay again. But I sure wouldn't want to be moved from room to room.

• Stayed September 2013
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My hubby and I stayed 3 nights around middle of Aug. It was a hot day. We arrived late and tired. I went in first to check in. Because there is no elevator, I considered the lower level would be easier for carrying luggage, so I asked for a room at lower level and the man gave me a room at lower level. But after we enter the room, we feel that was a wrong idea. The size of room is okay, but very dark, beside the street so noisy, windows cannot open, no air circulation, no air conditioner, only a fan, …… like a miserable cage. The bathroom is very small and dark. It was too late to change because the office closed.
On the second day, I requested to change. The same man accommodated my request. We moved everything to 4th floor. This room is bigger and much better with a portable air conditioner and balcony. We had a good night sleep. We were told we can only stay here for one night.
On the third day, we were asked to move to another room on 4th floor. This room is almost same as 1st night, but with a portable air conditioner and windows can be open (better air circulation).
We stayed 3 nights and moved 3 times. The first night was terrible. If you are going to stay in this hotel, don’t ask for the lower level.
I strongly recommend to the hotel that do not use the rooms on the bottom floor unless install a better system for air circulation.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nuvo Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!