“Security what security!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

You added Nuvo Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Nuvo Hotel Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 12th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R0J1, Canada (Beltline)   |
Special Offer
Wi-Fi
Ranked #56 of 98 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary
“Security what security!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Forgot to bring the passcode to the hotel but discovered it wasn't necessary; the passcode is right on the front door. Upon entering the hotel I discovered the office was closed with a post it note giving a phone number to contact. The office staff had helpfully left out the room passcode for two guests who were due to arrive. I am familiar with this area of the Beltline district and have reservation about the lack of security for this hotel given the homeless population that hang out by the Safeway across the street. I called the number and was told my room wasn't ready. About 40 minutes later I received a text saying that I could check in anytime; check in was quick. The studio room was just ok for one person with one bar stool and one chair to sit on. No desk, side table, coffee table or dining table was in the room. Having the kitchen and washer/dryer for an extented stay would be great. But for a couple not having a place to sit or eat a meal would be inconvenient. Generous closet space was available but only three hangers. Ikea panels covered the patio windows but didn't stop any light coming in from the street lights. A giant TV completes the amenities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
NuvoHotelSuites, General Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Amy 256,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Nuvo Hotel Suites. First, I would like to clarify that the security code to enter the building is not posted anywhere, as this changes frequently, and is only given to guests. Only guests are given the code, as no one else is able to enter once the front desk has closed for the night. It is the same procedure with guest room codes, where they are only given to the guest, and are changed upon each guests departure.

Please note that we are in the process of swapping out the current blinds for blackout blinds in our suites, and that the current ones were from a high quality supplier in town, but we are going to be upgrading to blackouts in the near future.

Each suite should have 2 barstools to sit at the kitchen island for meals, as well as multiple hangers in the suite, and I apologize that only 3 were available. The front desk staff are always able to provide more hangers in the case of any being missing.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Best Regards,

Nuvo Hotel Suites General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I enjoyed my three stays at Nuvo on my business trips. Staff is helpful and the rooms were quiet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I arrived for a week of work in Calgary. Unfortunately, The room didn't really have a desk to work at. There was a large kitchen-island with lucite bar stools (that were stuck at a position that was too high to really sit comfortably at the island.) The stools had no back and the hotel could not offer an alternate chair.

The room also wasn't very cosy. I was put in a basement room with the view of an alley with cold, stained, dirty linoleum floors and chipped paint on the walls. The cabinetry in the kitchen area was broken with pieces lying on the floor and drawers that wouldn't slide out properly. The light over the kitchen island didn't work (making it fairly dark in the room... even with all other lights on.) It smelled a bit musty (maybe because of the kitchen? or maybe from water damage from the shower leaking out on the linoleum? )

I was given the wrong code for the door lock and when I went back to the office to raise the issue, the office was closed with a post-it note on the door stating that they would be back soon. (This was during the open office hours.) It took a half hour for response.

I wouldn't book this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We purchased a Groupon coupon for this "boutique" hotel earlier in the year because we often stop in Calgary on our way to the mountains. This hotel does allow pets so it seemed like a good option for us since we often travel with our two small dogs. On this trip the dogs were at the Pet resort and it's a good thing because it wasn't exactly the best set-up for having animals.
This hotel looks to be a conversion and we could see where they made some good decisions and some we aren't so sure of. First, we are both fit and able-bodied but even we noticed how inaccessible this property was to someone even with a mild mobility issue. Narrow stairs were the only way to access the rooms and parking ($15.00 a night) was a block away. I don't know how "boutique" translates in to "those with mobility issues cannot be accommodated". Sure they say that they will help you with your luggage but what if you can't make it up the stairs yourself? The hotel states that it is aimed at meeting the needs of the corporate traveller but that is really limiting. What about the corporate traveller that can't climb the stairs just to get into the building?
Which brings me to another issue, loads of wasted space in the suite and a really small bathroom. A very narrow door, a very narrow shower and a heated towel warmer that didn't work. There is no way that a "person of size" would be comfortable in that bathroom, in fact they might even have trouble getting in the door.
The decor of the whole place could be described as somewhat European but overall things appeared very worn. In our room the brightly coloured paint needed touchups in several spots, the rug on the floor looked dingy, the sink had a large chip in it and the lighting was modern, but dim and dusty. The tv was a flatscreen and large but the reception was very bad and the remote was quirky.
The bed was very uncomfortable with a "roll-to-the-middle" mattress and the blinds on the window were all wrinkly and didn't do much to block out the morning light.
Noise transferred from other rooms and the hallway although we never actually saw any other guests during our stay we heard some very clearly in the middle of the night.
Overall it was just an ok stay at an ok location. I've read their blog about the issues they had with Groupon and just will note that we never would have selected this "boutique" location had there not been a Groupon coupon. We are loyalty program members at several chain hotels but when we saw the Groupon advertisement we were open to giving this "boutique" spot a try.
Aveda bath products (but no lotion) are a nice amenity but do not make for a luxury stay.
It is safe to say that we will stay at a chain hotel on our next trip to Calgary.

Room Tip: Be advised that the beds are Murphy Beds which are not as comfortable as a box spring and mattress s...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I have to start by saying that i just went through and read all of the reviews on trip advisor. Amazed to see the variety in reviews. I did however notice that anytime there was a poor review, the manager responds, but it is always the same type of response. She is more often giving excuses as to why there was a problem or why the person writing the review is wrong. Some of the same issues keep coming up over three years of reviews that i just read, and the responses from management always say they are working on it and will bring it up with the staff. So I feel comfortable in saying that after 3 years of reviews and the same issues coming up that they are not being properly looked in to.
I stayed in this hotel 2 nights ago. I gave the front desk clerk and manager a list of problem items when I checked out, then I e-mailed the general manager Sarah Webb with the same information. The reply I just received was very similar to her replies here on trip advisor. she was sorry for any problems and will discuss it with the staff. Not very sincere and blaming the staff when perhaps there is an issue at a higher level.
My family has owned and operated a hotel for 34 years, and I know the issues that hotels face, and it is only in extreme cases that I would write such review on trip advisor.

No Front desk, but rather a room with two desks. and messy paper work all over. At least organize and design the space to give the feel that you are trying to project through your advertising. First impressions are key and I understand that you do not have a traditional check in area, but this space could still be made to feel modern and sleek.
Parking down the block is a little frustrating and was not at all mentioned when I booked my room over the phone. I know it is an old building and there is not much you can do with the old looking hallways and small staircases. Also no elevator is something that should be clearly stated to any customer booking a room.

My first impression when I walked in the suite was "wow" with a smile on my face. The rooms have a fully modern decor and all sorts of great features, you really feel like you could be in a little new york flat. Although the furnishings and features were not high end, they certainly gave that feeling. But this is where it ended.

I used the washroom first thing, and although small and no bathtub it had that same modern feel, it was nice. Then I noticed the long black hair on the floor. I am travelling alone and have short blond hair so it certainly did not come from me. Next I went to check my e-mails but the wireless would not hook up. After multiple tries I went to call the check in area for assistance but unfortunately the telephone was not working. The wirless finally connected, but for the night and the next morning it would randomly connect and disconnect.
One of the nice features of the suite was a towel warmer in the bathroom. Before my shower I turned it on, and when I finished showering(after i cleaned up all he water that went out on to the floor,) I was greeted with a cold bath towel as the warmer also did not work.
When I was ready for bed I decided to watch T.V. But my remote would not work. After trying to adjust the batteries and playing around with it, i discovered that if you squeezed the battery compartment very tight while pushing your desired button that it would function. Unfortunately every time I hit the down channel button, it would just go to channel one. I would have called the front desk for a new one however as mentioned earlier my room phone did not work.
Keep inn mind all of these little issues happened between roughly 7 pm and 10 pm, so it felt like ever time I turned around something was no working.

The worst however was the cleanliness. The room was filthy. The hair that i had seen in the bathroom was all over the room.( i have included a cpl photos) From the floor, to the carpet to the bed. It was everywhere as was dust and dirt. I feel 100% confident in saying that the suite had not been swept, vacuumed or mopped..

So disappointing, as I said the wow factor as far as decor is there, but for a room that with parking and all fees came out to $190.00, I expected a lot more. I feel people will put up with quite a bit if the room is great. Concentrate on the cleanliness and that all the little details function and people will be ok with no elevator, parking a block away and old small staircases. But if the room is not perfect then all of those other things will just add to the frustration.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I was here in August of this year for a two-week stay. It was one of the better hotel stays I've had in Canada. The room I was in was spacious, modern and comfortable. Another review mentioned that the dryer/washer in the room required repair (door missing) - it was still unrepaired when I took the room. However, the staff were very accommodating and I was able to use the larger and more powerful housekeeping washer and dryer at my convenience.

The central location of this hotel, with a Safeway directly across the street and great Pakistani food available next door at Mirchi, not to mention the great Thai food I had from The King and I, and the great food at Laurier's - both located nearby.

While it would be great to see them convert one of the rooms into a small fitness area, I have to say that the stay was still very comfortable and when I need another extended stay hotel in Calgary, I'll be making Nuvo my first choice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I am from Calgary and was looking for a place to stay downtown for a big birthday party we were having. I needed a place where we could have people get ready to go out (so a place with a lot of room), as well as a place that was central/walking distance from the night life of Calgary. A lot of the places I looked into were expensive and were a basic hotel room, not really a preferance for a group wanting to have a few drinks and get ready together. I found this place (which I had never heard of) and got an amazing deal on it! The hotel was wonderful. It as in a great location downtown, close to everything, and was such a neat looking hotel. It was decorated very modern, and each room comes with a kitchen area, as well as a sitting area and sleeping area. The room was perfect! When we arrived and informed the person at the front what we were there for, she also upgraded us to a larger room, with no cost which was very nice of them!
This hotel would be amazing for anyone and would especially be great for people who ae working in the Calgary Core for a few days or longer. The room was outfitted with all home necessities - plates, glasses, stove, washer/dryer, stove, fridge, etc. It could easily be a home away fom home, and for the price it is an amazing deal. A+ from me!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Nuvo Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!