“dissapointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4206 Macleod Trail, Calgary, Alberta T2G 2R7, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #51 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

i stayed in this hotel last week and it was comfortable and clean. the beds were soft and i had a good nights sleep. on my way to check out though my 4yr old son and i could hear swearing and laughing coming from the from desk. i went to complain and it turns out it was the manager doing the swearing. his voice was easily reconizable. he denied it and apologised saying it must have been another guest.
being a mother i was shocked that someone whos job is to deal with the public could do this. children are always about.
not impressed.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the train which can be heared through out the night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I was very sorry to hear of this incident especially after a nice visit with our Hotel, this is not the way we wish for our guests to remember us by.

I first of all apologize, this type of behaviour is unacceptable and since my return have spoken to the individuals at the desk, I am unsure what caused this rude language but have made it very clear that it was unprofessional and not acceptable.

Please accept my sincere apologies,

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I had the opportunity to stay at the Macleod Trail hotel back in October. We where there to attend a friends wedding. I have stayed at the hotel over the last few years it has alwasy been great. It;'s nice to see that they done some renovations. Due to the landscape the hotel is on it alwasy makes me snile when you arrive on teh main floor but you need to go down to get to the room on the second floor. We have a nice room smalle but everything was there. Only had coffee in the restaurant but everyone we met during our stay was friendly and eger to offer any assistance. The location is great with the shopping centre just down the street. Thank you we will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your wonderful review, I was so pleased that you enjoyed your overall visit with our Hotel, I have shared your coments with all departments.

I wish you all the best in 2013 and we thank you for your business and look forward to your return.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Location is convenient, close to downtown.
Price per night was decent considering the cost of other hotels in the area.
Small room. there wasn't much space to put our luggage.
Not very well lit.
Bed was comfortable, room was clean, prompt room service. good food. friendly staff.

overall - a nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review, we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit with us, our Hotel is in a great location as you had mentioned and our prices based on a full service Hotel are very comparable and more importantly priced lower than the downtown core, as mentioned a quick 5 minute car ride and you are downtown, or at the BMO conference center, Stampede Grounds, Chinook Shopping Center and even the trendy Mission area and 17th Avenue, the transit system being located right beside us is also a great benefit.

Have a wonderful holiday season and thank you for your business.

Arcola, Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed Friday night of Rememberance Day weekend. Room was fine, food in lounge ok. But at breakfast slipped & fell on the ceramic tile stairs at the back parking lot entrance. Maintenance man was mopping, just looked at me & said "it just slippery" & kept mopping! Didn't ask if I was ok, or come help me up or anything! Eventually got myself up & limped away to elevator. At check out a little later, I told the girl at the desk about my fall. She said "oh, sorry" & that was it! Didn't ask if I was ok, offer an address for a walk in clinic to get checked out...nothing! She finally asked us how our stay was, & I said "ok, except my back after falling on those steps!" Got a dirty look from her!! A month later, back is still sore! Definitely will not stay here again. Stairs on other flights have a rubber bullnose strip to stop slips, but not those flights at the entrance!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I will start off by offering you a sincere apology, I was shocked to hear that your incident was not given a sincere reply from our staff members, I would have never expected this, as we hear quite often how wonderful our team members are.

We are constantly cleaning our public areas since we have 4 entrances into our Hotel, and with our snowy and slushy weather must mop often, we place door mats at all entrances however this does not prevent our floors from getting wet and we make all effort to ensure proper "slippery when wet" signs are displayed everywhere along with regular maintenance with cleaning th eareas. That being said I have the expectations that our team members respond to any slip and fall and more importantly to any negative experience as well we expect our team to offer a sincere apology and offer of assistance, you felt this was not provided and I apologize.

Your letter has been shared with all department managers with a request from me to ensure we speak about this during our daily meetings.

Thank you for your business and I wish you a wonderful holiday season.
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Holiday Inn on Macleod Trail S in Calgary is a standard Holiday Inn - no surprises, either good or bad. It is well located, right on MacLeod Trail, close to downtown and Chinook Center mall for shopping. You have easy access to MacLeod Trail if you are driving, or the C-Train, which is a couple of blocks away. The C-Train tracks are right behind the hotel, but the trains are pretty quiet so you won’t really hear them unless you have your window wide open and are listening for them. The hotel has been added to in recent years, so the architecture is a bit odd, but the hallways are wide, bright and clean, so odd angles in the hallways are not a big deal.

Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were very friendly, both at the front desk and those we met in the hallways. Check-in and check-out were very quick and efficient. WIFI is free and the TV worked fine, but we didn’t do much TV watching so I couldn’t tell you how many channels you have access to. There is an iron/ironing board in the room. The air conditioning was a bit tricky, but it functioned as expected – as soon as I figured out what all the symbols on the display meant! We didn’t use the indoor pool, but it looked very inviting when we walked by it on our way out.

The room size is average, not a lot of extra space, but there is a reasonably comfy armchair and a nice desk chair for extra seating. The light in the room is not great. When you turn the light on at the door, it illuminates only the front entrance. You have to turn on all the other lights in the room or it’s pretty dark at night. The room darkening window liner didn’t cover the entire window, so a lot of light leaks in around the edges. I tried to move it, but just ended up with a gap somewhere else. Not a big deal, but I do like it dark when I sleep. The window is quite large, so it’s nice and bright during the day. We had a king bed room, and the bed was very comfy. We had our choice of pillows, firm or soft. The firm pillow actually stayed firm all night, I didn’t try the soft one. They also mention that they have other pillow options if the firm and soft pillows in the room are not to your liking.

The bathroom is a bit small, with a small vanity - not a lot of space for a larger toiletries bag. The shower and toilet are separate from the vanity – pretty standard. You get shampoo, conditioner, lotion a shower cap, 2 bars of soap, and a shoe polishing cloth. The toiletries are nice, and there is enough shampoo and conditioner for two people, for one day (unless one of you has long hair, then there’s enough for one). The conditioner is OK, not great as I had trouble combing out my fine hair, but it’s better than the ‘conditioning shampoo’ that really doesn’t do any conditioning at all! Didn’t try the lotion. The water pressure in the shower is fantastic and there was plenty of hot water. There were lots of towels, but they could use a bit of fabric softener in their wash – the towels were like sandpaper!

We had breakfast in the morning in the restaurant. Breakfast was great (veggie omelette and eggs Benedict), price was about what you would expect to pay, and the wait staff were very friendly and efficient. You get your own thermos pot of coffee, along with a paper cup if you want to take what’s left with you. Nice touch, that one! There are lots of dining options in the near vicinity, walking distance or driving, if you don’t want to eat at the hotel.

Overall, a reliable hotel chain at a standard price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much, you have obviously put much thought and effort into this incredible review, thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience, you touched on so many great features of this Hotel.

We are so pleased that your expectations were met and we are excited to know that you would return, thank you so very much for your business and please have a wonderful Holiday Season,

Sincerely and with best wishes,
Devon, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for a business trip and really had no isses. Nothing fancy, just pretty much a good average type hotel room.
The good:
-Room service food was outstanding! Great food at a half decent price too
-Room was clean, bed was comfortable
-Quiet where I was at least. I could see the C-train station out my window but didn't hear anything
-Staff was very friendly

The bad:
-Work was paying for me so not as big of a deal, but the price wasn't great. A lot in Calgary can get expensive, but travelling personally I've booked other similar type hotels for a fair bit cheaper

I try to save my 5* reviews for something that either wows me in terms of value or experience, so I couldn't really give it that. But really it's good for what it is. I'd stay here again for work and if I got a better price on the rates, I'd have no problem staying here on a personal trip either.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review, I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, the comments about the staff are very much appreciated and always shared with them. Also very pleased that you enjoyed the Food and beverage outlets, we have a great menu with many comfort foods that will surely please all.

You mentioned our property being a little high in rate, we monitor our competitor rates weekly as well as the activities in Calgary, this city is very busy with many Corporate business and the city is accustomed to running high occupancies mid week, with high demand comes a higher cost and we at the Holiday Inn attempt to offer a fair rate, we are located 5 minutes from downtown so we like to say we offer the same services with great staff but at a rate much lower than downtown, you can leave your car with us and take the transit which saves the high parking fees.

We look forward to your return, and thank you very much for your business.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent one night at this Holiday Inn location during a recent business trip to Calgary. Having stayed here before I knew what to expect, but I unfortunately found that the room quality had gone down since my last visit. The bed in my room was lumpy, and uncomfortable, and the entire property feels like it needs updating, and a thorough cleaning. In addition to the room conditions, my travel companions, and I, found the dinner service at the hotel restaurant to extremely slow and uninterested. To the point that we had to ask for our meal three times before it arrived. The restaurant was not busy, and it is difficult to understand why the wait staff were struggling so much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We just received your review and we apologize for the inconviences caused, we rarely receive concerns about our bedding, unfortunately I had no information provided to me from your stay so I am unsure what room you were in, we like to follow up on all concerns with hopes of making any corrections and we would have taken the necessary steps to ensure you were satisfied prior to departure. I was sorry to read about your dining experience as well, this is a surprise to hear that you had requested your meal on three occassions to be delivered, especially when the Restaurant was so quiet. If you wish to share any further information we would welcome the room number so we could inspect the room as well as the date of your visit so I can follow up with the Food and Beverage manager and see what caused these delays,

sincerely,

Been to Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South? Share your experiences!