“Decent room, very close to C-Train” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South

Expedia.com IHG
Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4206 Macleod Trail, Calgary, Alberta T2G 2R7, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #51 of 100 hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Decent room, very close to C-Train”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Both a plus and a minus, this hotel is right next to the C-Train station. Getting to and from downtown is quick and convenient, but I could hear the trains running from my room. The room was clean and the staff was courteous. My key cards did not work initially and I had to take them back to the front desk to get them re-programmed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your review, I am glad overall your stay was great. I do apologize for the noise, unfortunately we do have train tracks near by and at times the sound can be heard depending on the time of day, we thank you very much for your business and look forward to your return,

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We flew from Vancouver to Calgary, and had booked Holiday Inn as we got a good deal and we are renting a car, so this would help offset the cost of the car a bit. The staff were friendly, efficient, polite and very helpful. Our breakfast(Pollo Skillet) was outstanding, so congratulations to the chef for such a tasty meal!! We appreciate the public transport station(rail) to the city was extremely close and handy though we had a car, and there are some great chopping spots close by for a rainy day. The hotel does have an old feel to it despite the renovated exterior, and the rooms follow that same feel. It's all plastic cups and cutlery(which I hate for enviro reasons) and has a cheap feel to it. Old sheets, and old furniture. Basic things like a corkscrew and scissors missing... Still, can't complain for the price we got, but would have been pretty disappointed if we had paid a high Summer rate!

Room Tip: I overheard someone giving out stink about the basement rooms?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you I am very glad that overall your stay was positive, we do have great staff that are very empowered to ensure your stay was great, thanks about the great coment regarding the breakfast and public transit which is such a great feature to have close by.
We do have an older feel in some roms and we are slowly making some progress, we are replacing the chairs in our guest rooms, also very soon we are refinishing all the bath tubs and installing new guest room carpet, the carpet is not expected until early January when we have lower occupancy and less chance of disturbing our guests. We look forward to your return visit.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great location. Next to light rail.
Great service. Great staff.
A bit expensive but worth it.

Breakfast deal is a great value ! Especially for couple. For 10$/night more you will get 40$ worth of breakfast !

Ask for rooms at the 4th or 3rd level, good access to lobby, restaurants and gym.

Stayed September 2012
Thanks for your great comments, your are right the breakfast deal is a great deal glad you enjoyed everything, thank you very much for your business and we look forward to your return soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for five nights with the family. The facilities are average,nothing exceptional and nothing catastrophic. Very reasonable price ... We had two adjoining rooms.
Two opportunities for the team .... Room service arrived cold.. Our dinners were all luke warm. Cleaning staff seemed to come really late in the day... Around 3ish... Was a bit of an inconvenience because we had already gone out for the day and then came back to the rooms unattended.
The front desk staff were very quick with their greetings... And beyond that, they were very helpful when asked for assistance.
Final comment ... The coffee in the restaurant was really not very good at all. Would suggest looking for alternative roasts.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review, it sounds like it was not a great experience overall, I am hoping that you brought these issues to our atention as our staff would have dealt with them immediately and hopefully offered some sort of reimbursement. I do not hear alot of complaints about cold food so I certainly apologize, Housekeeping is a hard one to control, each room atendant has 14-15 rooms to clean each day and therefore there are always some being finished a little later in the day depending on when the room becomes vacant, I am sorry for this. We do hope you decide to return and we can make all efforts to ensure a more pleasant meal and we will notify room attendants to clean your room first once we are notified.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Staff polite, room clean, conveniently located, noisy in-room air conditioning but worst of all, no internet (or WiFi) – "our service is being upgraded." Not good enough sir, tell me that before I book.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments about our great staff and Hotel, glad your stay was good.
I am sorry internet was disrupted , unfortunately there are things we are unable to control, and one of those is when there is a Server issue with our communications provider, The services were restored that afternoon, we never receive complaints about our Free wireless so this was unfortunate.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I used this hotel in September while the International Pipeline Conference was on and all the downtown hotels had hiked their prices up for the week. Therefore, relatively, a reasonable rate of $170 per night. Train station right outside the hotel with only 4 stops north to downtown (10 mins) and 1 stop south to the Chinook Shopping Mall at a one way price of $2.75.
Reception staff were very pleasant and the hotel features a restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 7 eleven within walking distance as are various eateries.
Didn't try the pool as it had been refilled and was apparently very cold, but looked very nice.
Room was clean and relatively spacious, although only 5 coat hangers, but a quick call to reception and a guy arrived with more. Good desk for working on (bottom part pulls out so almost doubles working area) and free in room wifi (which is an absolute must for me when selecting a hotel - I despise the big chains that charge for wifi on top of high room rates - colleagues of mine stayed in the Hyatt at a ridiculous rate and had to pay a further $60 per week for wifi - disgraceful !).
All in all, an excellent alternative to the big downtown chains, in a convenient location, at a fraction of the price.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review while attending the recent Conference in Calgary. You touched on so many key areas of the Hotel and we appreciate your summary of services. Sorry the pool was cold, each year I is a very difficult task trying to find the right week to close it down and perform maintenance along with a very detailed clean. I appreciate the comment about our location to transit, this is so very important to many guests that travel here without a car, or even with guests that have vehicles but wish to save on high parking expenses downtown.

Thank you very much for your business and we look forward to your return.

Loreto, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 days and found the room nice and the restaurant good (both food and service). I think the front desk was under staffed during my stay; I called from the taxi to verify the hotel because it was booked by our corporate travel department, and the taxi driver told me there we two Holiday Inns on Macleod Trail. I was on hold for over 5 minutes, and actually arrived at the front desk before my call was answered! (luckily, I was at the right place!)

Smack dab in the middle of a three-week Canadian trip, I had 3 bags plus carry-ons. I was supprised to learn that there was no elevator from the lobby to my room!?!!?! After walking down the hallway, and returning to the lobby to ask, I was told that it was only 8 steps up to the second floor...And no one from the hotel offered to help me with the bags! It took my 3 trips up and down to get my bags up to the floor. At check out, same story. Elevator to almost street level and carry bags down "8" stairs to street level.

Another suprise was the phone call from the front desk waking me up at 10:30pm asking me to pay for the dinner that I had charged to my room several hours earlier! I basically hung up on the staff member, telling him that I would take care of it in the morning. When I went to the lobby the next day, I was told that there was no problem with my credit card deposit and I didn't have to take care of the bill until checkout (duh!!!!)

I took a point off for each of these problems, but overall the stay was enjoyable. (especially if you don't have a lot of baggage, or if the hotel hires more bellboys!)

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, I was sorry to see that you experienced a few issues. We do receive many comments asking why we do not have an elevator at the main entrance to the Hotel and unfortunately this is a structural issue, our team is trained to offer assistance for this reason. We do have the option of directing guests with lots of lugage to our North entrance that is equipped with luggage carts and elevator access in the center of our Hotel. We do have an elevator however as mentioned located half way down the guest corridors, this elevator takes you to all four floors and to main parking lot for easier access. We ar eunsure why a cal was made to your room and apologize for this inconvenience, I have shared the coment with our Front Desk manager so that he can follow up to better understand and discuss with our team.

Thank you again and we do sincerely appreciate your business.

Been to Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South? Share your experiences!