“Clean room, nice hotel, minor problems with stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4206 Macleod Trail, Calgary, Alberta T2G 2R7, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Loreto, Mexico
“Clean room, nice hotel, minor problems with stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 days and found the room nice and the restaurant good (both food and service). I think the front desk was under staffed during my stay; I called from the taxi to verify the hotel because it was booked by our corporate travel department, and the taxi driver told me there we two Holiday Inns on Macleod Trail. I was on hold for over 5 minutes, and actually arrived at the front desk before my call was answered! (luckily, I was at the right place!)

Smack dab in the middle of a three-week Canadian trip, I had 3 bags plus carry-ons. I was supprised to learn that there was no elevator from the lobby to my room!?!!?! After walking down the hallway, and returning to the lobby to ask, I was told that it was only 8 steps up to the second floor...And no one from the hotel offered to help me with the bags! It took my 3 trips up and down to get my bags up to the floor. At check out, same story. Elevator to almost street level and carry bags down "8" stairs to street level.

Another suprise was the phone call from the front desk waking me up at 10:30pm asking me to pay for the dinner that I had charged to my room several hours earlier! I basically hung up on the staff member, telling him that I would take care of it in the morning. When I went to the lobby the next day, I was told that there was no problem with my credit card deposit and I didn't have to take care of the bill until checkout (duh!!!!)

I took a point off for each of these problems, but overall the stay was enjoyable. (especially if you don't have a lot of baggage, or if the hotel hires more bellboys!)

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, I was sorry to see that you experienced a few issues. We do receive many comments asking why we do not have an elevator at the main entrance to the Hotel and unfortunately this is a structural issue, our team is trained to offer assistance for this reason. We do have the option of directing guests with lots of lugage to our North entrance that is equipped with luggage carts and elevator access in the center of our Hotel. We do have an elevator however as mentioned located half way down the guest corridors, this elevator takes you to all four floors and to main parking lot for easier access. We ar eunsure why a cal was made to your room and apologize for this inconvenience, I have shared the coment with our Front Desk manager so that he can follow up to better understand and discuss with our team.

Thank you again and we do sincerely appreciate your business.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is an older hotel and the age is starting to show but they do a great job of maintaining the level of quality. Professional staff in both front desk and diner. I do have one complaint in regards to the quality of food in the restaurant. Service, appy, salad was good but the steak was sub par. Ate two bites and did not touch the rest. I recommend this place for any business travelers.

• Stayed September 2012
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, we have a great team here and make all efforts to ensure our property, although older, is well maintained daily. I was upset to hear you did not enjoy your dinner, I would very much like to reimburse you for your dinner, please feel free to contact myself and I am happy to buy you dinner on your next visit or apply a credit to your credit card on file. Thank you very much for your business, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I used my Priority Rewards and stayed here for 2 nights. Front desk staff were very friendly and as a Priority Rewards member I got a free snack. The room wasn't that big but it was clean and we had more than enough space to fit and open our luggage. I could only find 1 free power outlet (coming out of the lamp at the desk). I wanted one near the bed, and there was a power cable near the bed but it was filled with other plugs so I had to unplug a few to charge our electronic devices. No biggie for us but if you have a billion things to charge up, good luck.

Bathroom was clean and we had enough towels. First thing I noticed was the layout - the sink is situated on the outside of the toilet/tub (which is fine), but if you're not careful coming out of the bathroom you can clock someone with the door if they're using the sink! We almost did this a few times. I'm not sure if all the rooms are like this but be careful if yours is! Bathroom feels a tad cramped and the shower pressure wasn't great, but the complimentary toiletries were great! Bed was firm and we had enough pillows for a decent night's sleep.

Wireless internet was a breeze to connect to (you get instructions on how to connect), and it was never flaky. I saw a network cable to connect to on the desk but didn't use it. Mini fridge came in handy to keep our drinks cool. Free newspaper in the morning too which was a nice touch.

Last weird thing is the elevator - we found out it stops in between the 3rd and 4th floor (we were on the 4th) and it was actually faster to carry our luggage up/down the half set of stairs to/from the front desk (which seems to be on the 3rd floor). We were only about 10min drive away from downtown, and we spotted some fast food joints (McD's, Timmies) very close by.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your great review, I am very sorry that you had difficulty in finding an outlet for your work materials, your are correct I wish we had more outlets available in the room and we attempt to add as many power bars as possible. Your business is very much appreciated and we look forward to your return visit.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

we stayed at this hotel this past week, and the room was expensive and the bathroom was in terrible shape. Also wallpaper was in need of repair in all rooms, and we overlooked the railway tracks. The king bed sagged and we kept rolling into the center of the bed. Very dissapointed in this stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we are sorry to read that your stay was not enjoyble. We certainly have a great advantage of being close to downtown and the great convenience of having transit located right beside us allowing you to park your car and get to downtown quickly, however we do apologize that the train noise can be a problem at times. I was surprised to hear about the poor mattress, this is a rare comment, we unfortunately did not receive the room number but i will ensure the Housekeeping manager personally checks the rooms. Calgary is a very busy City and the past few weekends we have seen full hotels, especially during the weekdays, our rates are very much in line with our competitors, please for future consideration at times of high demand you may wish to book a package, or advanced purchses which can offer savings of 10% or more depending on the season.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel is awesome! Went to Calgary at the end of August for 3 days and took advantage of the "shades of summer" deal this hotel was offering, the total charge for a two night stay here was only $200 with $80 of breakfast vouchers for the hotels restaurant given to us when we got there so technically it only cost us $120. The staff were very very very friendly and helpful and were always smiling!! The food at the restaurant was not too bad either. The swimming pool was a decent size and quite clean. Rooms were clean and nice, could have been a bit bigger but other than that I would definately recommend this hotel and probably stay here again when I go to Calgary next time. It's also not too far from downtown, about a 5 minute drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review, we are so pleased you enjoyed you stay with us, we look forward to your return visit, thank you for your business,

Sincerely
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Location was decent just outside city, great for Stampede. Rooms were clean, and good size, mine included a couch even though Id never use it was still nice addition.
Hotel was was great, Cindy was top notch every single night. Quick with a come back and always provided great service for all 9 of us with no exception. Would return and recommend the location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your great review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us, we certainly hope you return soon. Thank you for your business.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed two nights of August and was pleased. Friendly staff, decent room, flat screen TV, excellent wireless internet, good beds with your choice of soft or firm pillows, decent restaurant, Given a bottle of water and $10 off restaurant coupon for being a Priority Club member.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review, we are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return.

Been to Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South? Share your experiences!