“Tiny Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4206 Macleod Trail, Calgary, Alberta T2G 2R7, Canada (Southeast Calgary)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 98 hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“Tiny Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a 4 day business trip to Calgary. All downtown hotels were fully booked and we were forced to look outside the downtown core for accomodation. The price was reasonable given the location, but when you factor in two cab rides, the price would be comparable to a downtown hotel. With that in mind, it was disappointing to see the size, and quality, of the accomodation. As part of a business trip I was able to accept the room, but if I had another person with me, or a family, the room would be too small. An example of this is that you are forced to step over the easy chair that is on one side of the bed to get out. There is so little space available that this chair touches the wall, and bed. Final point about this Holiday Inn is that the hotel restaurant was actually quite decent for breakfast, or a quick snack. We ate there three times with decent food and service. I mention this, because I am not sure if there are alternatives in this area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Calgary is becomming very busy during the weekdays so we were glad we were able to accomodate you during this period, we are located 5 minutes from downtown and located directly beside the transit train which take you to downtown for a $2.50 fee each way. You are correct that some of our rooms are small and able to accomodate a queen bed and pull out sofa, we also have rooms that have 2 doubles, and or 2 queens or a King bed and these room types are slightly larger in size. Your comments are appreciated regarding our restaurant and lounge, We offer full services and have an extensive menu that we change quarterly and always ensure items are added in which our guests request. Thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Twin Lake MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Recently my Flight was cancelled into Calgary and unfortunately I didnt find out until after 6pm because I was on another flight. I then called the hotel and spoke to the manager who stated I had to call Orbitz as I booked the room through them. I called Orbitz and told them all the details and the nice lady said she would call the hotel directly. After a few minutes she came back on and said the manager was quite rude and said the contract states if you dont cancel before 6pm you have to pay the full amount. I then called the hotel again and funny enough the manager was very hard to get a hold of this time. When I spoke to one of the staff I explained that at worst I should end up paying for one night and I would understand. NOPE even though it wouldnt make sense to fly to Calgary as I would miss my appointment I would still PAY for both nights. I really tried to do my due diligence and call the hotel but all they want is the money. I WILL NEVER book at this hotel and be wary if you use a travel site they are very unforgiving.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for your review and concerns, when a guest books through Orbitz this transaction is with Orbitz directly, Hotels charge the Orbitz credit card for any guest reservations, the Hotel does not have access to the guests credit card. Your reservation was cancelled late on Wednesday evening and our Hotel was running full occupancy so we charged for this late reservation cancellation. We are more than willing to refund for the second evening however we have already charged Orbitz, and Orbitz had already charged your credit card for the reservation, Orbitz should have explained these cancellation rules, Our Hotel does not charge for an entire stay cancellation, I strongly suggest you contact Orbitz and request a refund, once this refund has been confirmed Orbitz will contact the Hotel to advise of refund and in turn we credit Orbitz. The evening in which you contacted us you were on hold to speak to the Manager in which you firmly expressed to the agent a remark and hung up, We are more than happy to credit this stay and look forward to applying this refund upon conact with Orbitz.
Slave Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Not a great layout, front desk said you needed to climb stairs to reach any of the rooms. I found that if you are on any of the floors you can drive around to the north side of the building and enter there. Then you can use luggage buggy to the elevator and get to your floor. Kind of crappy, as for the front desk staff, they should have known this was an option and suggested it. Restaurant was ok, nothing great. Stayed for 3 nights because of the location as it is close to stampede park. You can even catch the train behind the hotel and save the $13.00 parking at the Stampede centre. No fridge, so you couldn't even keep water cold.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry to hear your stay was inconvenienced due to the stairs. Our Hotel is only 4 levels and that does require one to take 7 stairs up to the 4th or 7 stairs down to the 3rd floor from the main entrance. Stairs also lead down to the second floor and there is an elevator which connects all floors in the middle of the Hotel. Our Hotel is on a hill so it slopes. On the North side of our property we have 3 guest entrances, 2 require stairs to get to your floor and then to an elvator which is located once again in the middle of the Hotel, we also have an entrance that is ground level and for your assistance we have luggage carts, from this entrance you enter and then take the elevator to the floor you desire. I apologize if our agents never provided you with proper directions or with our Hotel map pointing out these entrances and options, I will certainly ensure they are advised of this important feature that is to be communicated to all of our guests. Thank you and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Went there on a convention in Stampede park, and a client book me into this Holiday Inn which is near to the venue. Right behind the hotel is a train station to the Stampede ground, very convenient. The Room is pretty small for a Canadian hotel. Got a room facing the car park, behind the hotel. Quiet and nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you very much the review and more importantly taking the time to provide us along with others your experience. Our rooms are smaller than other Hotels, rooms with 2 beds certainly take up more room than our King size rooms and or single bedded rooms that offer much more space. With the LRT (light rail transit) it is very accesible behind our hotel, you can be at the Stampede grounds in 5 minutes and downtown is 10 minutes or less. We wish you a Happy New Year and hope you are able to return and visit us again.

Sincerely
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hotel has a stupid design and an idiotic layout. First of all, it's built into a slope which isn't good for parking or access. When you arrive, the area in front of the door is very small for unloading your vehicle. Traveling with another couple and a dog means you have a lot of junk to unload.

The front desk told us the entrance to our rooms was from the side parking lot. We loaded the cart and went through a side entrance only to find stairs between us and our room. We moved our luggage and the cart by hand and got to the elevator. Only later did we find out there was another entrance to the first floor rooms that had direct access to our rooms. This hotel is too cheap and lazy to put signs on the entrances so you will know which doors are for which floors. It would have saved us a lot of bother. It seems the whole layout of the hotel was done by an amateur architect. So many levels, stairs, and small crooked corridors.

We had two rooms, and one of the rooms still had luggage in it and was obviously occupied. Nice work. The rooms were like cracker boxes, the smallest I've seen outside Tokyo.

About the only good thing I can say is a light rail is almost in the back of their parking lot.... very easy to get downtown.

Some time after our return home Holiday Inn requested feedback on our stay at this hotel, and I gave it. The result was that they refunded the price of one room, $174. So that was decent of them. At least you know that they do listen.

The response from the hotel mentioned that they asked if we needed assistance. Quite honestly, I don't recall that but I'll take them at their word. However, we didn't know how screwy the layout was, had we known that our response might have been different.

One thing I did forget to put in my first review.... the office chair in the room was the type you can adjust for height. Well, after adjustment the chair would slowly settle to it's lowest lever. Clearly, it needs replacement.

Also, the very small size of the room might have been tolerable except that there was a huge fold-out sofa stuffed into the room. You had to climb over the arm of the sofa to get into bed. This hotel seems to cater to people who like to cram the maximum number of bodies into a room.

Room Tip: Try to find one at ground level and study the layout beforehand. Most rooms seem to be up, down, or...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and we do apologize for the problems you encountered. We do understand your concerns regarding the Hotel building site but we have three North entrances into the Hotel, 1 door leading to first floor and elevators, 2nd door leading up the stairs to second floor and a 3rd entrance not including the main entrance that leads you to the 3rd and 4th floor. We make it a policy to ensure proper directins are given and we do apologize if there was a misunderstanding, and as you have noted we review every single concern and take immediate action to show you we listen and attempt to resolve issues. Our rooms are small, and unfortunately our lower level rooms which are offered to guests with pets are smaller. We are located directly behind the LRT and this is very helpful with guests that wish to leave the car behind. As for transportation from the Airport, we are located south end of the city and the Airport is far North, there are taxis, major roads, as well as shuttle services, so all the options are available to our travelling guests.

Sincerely and thank you
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Average, nothing notable. Close to downtown. – 6/10

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Jasper, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

First of all- to commend the front desk staff and management on a nice property. Clean, professional, fun and well run, We stayed the better part of a week on family matters and enjoyed our time greatly. If there is anything to be improved....it would only be the breakfast servings. The hotel serves everything of the complmentary breakfast on styro dishes, cups and plates. Throw away forks and knives- none of it compostable or biodegradable. In this day and age, the amount of waste being generated by the breakfast operations is pretty apalling. For all you future visitors to the hotel....try to bring your own cups and saucers..

Otherwise, a good stay and a great time. Management- please cut back the throw away stuff that's more than excessive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share your coments regarding your most recent visit. I was very pleased to read that you encountered a professional, clean, fun and well run Hotel. I was a little confused with the Complimentary breakfast and styrofoam and platic cutlery. Our property is a full service Holiday Inn that ofers food and beverage services for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as a lounge. Holiday Inn Express offers the complimentsary breakfast so I am unsure if you had multiple stays at different properties during your trip. However I wish to thank you very much for business and we hope you decide to visit in the near future.

Sincerely

Been to Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South? Share your experiences!