“Good but a bit pricy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vero Bistro Moderne

Vero Bistro Moderne
209 - 10 Street NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1V5, Canada (Sunnyside)
+1 403-283-8988
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vero Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Bistro, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Sunnyside
Cross street: Kensington Road
Description: With an atmosphere that breathes relaxed elegance, Vero Bistro presents a menu that defines inspired Italian Fusion Cuisine. Vero's Chef Jenny believes strongly in the importance of fresh, healthy food while supporting the local community and strives to create flavourful inspired cuisine using quality ingredients sourced from a variety of trusted local producers, Remarkable starters and plates designed for sharing are offered along side hearty entrees, such as the house made pasta, grass fed beef, seafood, lamb, chicken and duck, with many gluten-free options available. Featured small plates include Truffled Edamame, Baby Calamari Frito with romesco and the Signature Sweet Potato Gnocchi with wild boar bacon and gorgonzola, as well as more substantial offerings, such as the Surf & Turf Platter, Spring Creek Grass Fed Rib Eye Steak, Steamed Seabass with lemon risotto and "The Seafood Platter". No Menu Tuesdays $39/guest Steak & Frites on Wednesdays 3 courses $39/guest Brunch on Sat & Sun 9:30 AM-2:30 PM Breakfast/Lunch Tues-Fri 9-2PM
Calgary, AB
“Good but a bit pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I ventured out to Vero Bistro Moderne last week, based mostly on other TripAdvisor reviews. While we had a reservation we didn't need one, and thought that was odd for a Friday night. I thought that overall the food was very good. I had the calamari to start and Bouillabaisse for main. The Bouillabaisse had tomato in the broth, sort of half way between the standard and cioppino. Tasty, but it my put off some purists. All dishes were excellent. My wife had a bean salad to start and parpadelle for a main. I got to taste both and thought they were great.

On the downside I ordered a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and they were out of it. When I asked what the substitute was the waiter started trying to play 20 questions – “do you like fruity or dry?” I could tell this wouldn’t go well so I quickly switched to beer. Their beer list is, in a word, bizarre. The only two things on it that I’d even heard of where the raspberry wheat and the apricot wheat. And I’ll point out that I drink a lot of strange beer and frequent bars that claim to have 100 beers on tap, so for me to not have heard of all but 2 is remarkable. I settled on a Belgian pale ale, and when I got it noticed it was 8.5% alcohol. I wish the server would have warned me, or that they’d put it on the beer list. It was also served in a brandy snifter… strangest thing I’ve ever seen. I’m glad I shifted to beer. The chap at the next table opted for the alternative wine and got a blend with Semillon and Viogner in it which he complained about. I would have done the same thing!

Would we go again – maybe. Will we become regulars? Not likely. It was good, but it wasn’t outstanding for the price and the strange twists didn’t add to the experience. If were lived in Kensington it might just become a regular spot for something that’s a big step up from the pubs.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Calgary
“Elegant and Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I was thinking about where to go for my birthday and had almost decided on the Cactus Club, when I got an e-mail from Vero Bistro offering a free antipasto platter if I booked a date in July, my birth month. Well, how could I pass that up? So I went with two friends and we had a blast! The only fly in the ointment was that on the reservation, I mentioned someone had tree allergies. One of the appetizers had whole almonds on it, which were fortunately very easy to spot. And we asked for a creme brulee without hazelnut, which they were able to do, but it came with a macaron. Fortunately we know those are made with almond flour and my sister grabbed it before her boyfriend could even think about touching it. :) So other than that, the meal was grand and I would highly recommend Vero Bistro.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“Walk in, sit down and enjoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

A group of 7 for dinner. The restaurant came recommended so away we went. If you were just walking by and peeked in this Kensington restaurant, you might keep on going. Not an overly impressive/inviting first glance. However... the service was great and all of us were extremely pleased with the food choices. The appetizers (Heirloom salad and gnocchi) were exceptional and so was the main course (sea bass, which four of us had).
I was surprised to have a martini with small black olives, which is definitely not my preference, so only had one. The wine was reasonably priced and small but good wine list.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A Menu and Meals that makes your mouth come alive ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This evening four of us went out for dinner at Vero Bistro - my second time at this restaurant. I don't ever recall being out for dinner where all in attendance simply raved about the dish they ordered. What a fantastic evening of culinary WOW and dancing tastebuds.

The Paella was chocked full of seafood resting flavourfully on top of perfectly cooked risotto (rather than rice), brought to life with just the right amount of spice, andouille sausage, muscles, chicken, clams and shrimp.

Our friend had heard that the Pork Chop at Vero was one of the best ever tasted, so ordered it for himself. After tasting it he went on and on about how he would 'second the motion' - all this rant about a pork chop - who'd have thought :o) ?

I enjoyed a strip loin steak topped with just the right amount of gorgonzola cheese. I asked for the carrot ginger soup as a replacement for the truffle fries that were suppose to come with it. They easily accommodated the request and delivered an outstanding soup as an appetizer to my steak.

The group of us started with a number of appetizers including : spicy carpaccio, scallops with wild boar bacon, escargot and tomato salad. The selection of appetizers was a perfect way to start the evening and provided a hint into the culinary magic of Chef Jenny (who later came over to say Hi".

All of the above to say .... WOW !! A magnificent evening with friends, phenomenal food in a quaint bistro that we'll certainly be visiting again soon. Bravo Vero !!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“Good Food/Location...but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The restaurant itself is nice/cozy, but the food is a bit pricey for what you actually get. There are better restaurants in the Kensington area that offer better value.

• Visited May 2012