“Try It - You'll Love It” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shanghai Classic

Shanghai Classic
3 - 8282 Centre St. N.E., Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Northwest Calgary)
295-1323
Improve this listing
Ranked #918 of 2,927 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Try It - You'll Love It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We live in the neighbourhood and the Shanghai Classic is our favourite for Chinese food in Calgary. We dine there at least once a month and have never been disappointed. If you plan to go there for dinner, we highly recommend reservations; otherwise you'll likely have to wait a bit for a table. This restaurant is also a favourite for many members of the Chinese community, which speaks for itself. The menu choices are many, the servings are quite large and the prices are reasonable. Enjoy!!!!
Al & Mary Ann, Calgary

• Visited March 2014

Los Angeles, CA
“Delicious dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Delicious meal of steamed chicken with ginger sauce, shrimp with long green beans, seafood fried in batter, snow peas vine tips, and wonderful soup of tofu, mushrooms, shrimp. Large servings enough for 6 with left overs for a meal for 2 the next day.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Great food, reliable quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Shanghai Classic is our favourite Chinese restaurant in Calgary. It offers a good selection of Cantonese-type Chinese food, with a sprinkling of spicier dishes. The kids love the sweet-and sour dishes, while my wife loves the hot-and-sour soup and the eggplant dishes. I tried the Palace-style chicken on our last visit, which was not as hot as I had expected, and had too much water chestnut for my liking, but it was fresh and the taste was nicely balanced.
The service is always very friendly, but it can get a touch slow if the restaurant is busy. This restaurant is in an area of Calgary with a large Chinese population, and there is always a good mix of Chinese and other visitors. But don't get there late without a reservation! The space is small and the waiting area is not made for a long stay.
The portions are very large. We had ordered some starters to share as well as a main dish for each member of the family. We ended up taking about half the food home and had another great meal the next day.
We will be back!

• Visited May 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Best Chinese Restaurant Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I believe Chinese restaurants are often hit and miss, and I have been to many bad ones in the Calgary area. However, I have been going to this one for ten years, and it always serves up the best Chinese food I've ever had. None of the other Chinese restaurants I've eaten at have even come close to the food quality or the atmosphere of this gem. I have taken many different groups of friends out to this restaurant and it is always a wonderful and relaxing meal. In fact, I have one friend that comes out to Calgary once a year from Ontario, and always goes to this restaurant at least once per visit. Shanghai Classic have a wide variety of "packages" for different groups. Their dinners for two, four, and six are all fantastic. Some of particular favorites include the Wor Wonton Soup, the Hot Ginger Beef, menu item 99a (chow mein, and the sweet and sour pork. You really can't go wrong here.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Dover, Canada
“Food exquisite but service slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was my 3rd time eating at this restaurant since July 2012 and each time we found the food delicious but the service slow. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone with the proviso that you allow yourself plenty of time to wait for the food and enjoy it when it comes. It is very fresh so that might be why the long wait or it could be that they have a takeout and delivery service which may also slow down the service. In any event just be prepared. Order Green Tea and the War Wonton soup first while you decide on the rest of the dishes to order and it will provide you with some delicious sustenance while you await the rest. I have never done the actual ordering but rather left that to people more familiar with the food choices on this menu and I can assure you, there wasn’t one thing we didn’t like. So if you are unsure, you might want to inquire first because I don’t think we ate all the normal things people regularly order from a menu like that. We are from out of province but when in Calgary, it is the place to go with a group of family/friends - and we wouldn't miss it for anything. In my opinion, the food is comparable to any top restaurant in Canada and we have eaten in many. All three times we have been there; we made reservations and were glad we did because it was very busy.

• Visited October 2012