“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Lake Louise
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We were in Lake Louise for the Ice Magic Festival and had heard very good things about this restaurant, so decided to try it out in celebration of my husband's birthday. We were expecting to be wowed.

This review covers the meal only - the atmosphere was great and our waiter was fabulous.

We ordered the appetizer specials - mine was "cream of assorted mushroom soup" my husband's a pate. Large serving and very tasty. For our main course we ordered the Chateaubriand for two. The beef was cooked to perfection and the truffle sauce was good. The bernaise sauce was a disappointment - thick and congealed like it had been sitting out for an extensive period of time. The assorted vegetables that accompanied the beef were grossly overcooked (bordering on mush) and essentially tasteless.

For dessert we ordered the sampler (5 different desserts - taster portions) which were good, but again none of them wowed us.

The wine list was extensive, and expensive - nothing on the list for less than $100 per bottle (and those were hard to find)

For the $300 it was a disppointment. We have enjoyed better meals elsewhere for half the price.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“If visit Lake Louise it is an absolute must to have Dinner at the The Post”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This Place tops everything you expect from a 5star plus Restaurant in these beautiful surroundings.
I highly recommend the" Zuecher Geschnetzltes" .The Post can offer you from a 2600 selection of wines and with the help of very knowledgeable Sommelier to make your meal an event. The atmosphere was cozy and pleasant!

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Prosper, Texas
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Be sure you have time to sit in the "living room" to have cocktails. The service and atmosphere was wonderful in there. We moving into the restaurant the service went way down hill. I had the Lobster Bisque which was just alright... It amazing as the $19 price would suggest. My husband had the open calzone which was very tasty.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Post Hotel delivers a memorable experience!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

It had been at least a decade since I'd been to the Post Hotel for dinner, and I'd have to say, it is still as I remember it ... expanded and upgraded a bit, and, with the same cosy log-cabin, rustic look throughout ... but still an exceptional restaurant with great service and wonderful ambience, especially in winter ... we arrived a couple minutes past our reservation (6 p.m.), only to discover we had been crossed off the list ... the maitre d (not the friendliest chap, but nonetheless efficient) quickly restored our rez and had us promptly seated ... and, not the greatest table either at first glance, tucked in a corner in a small room, but as we were to discover later in the evening as the place filled up, the staff tended to dote on us a bit more and could linger for interesting conversations ... as I mentioned, the service was nothing short of impeccable -- each staffer appeared to be hand-picked for their friendly and gracious personality ... at the same time, they did not hover, but were there when you needed them ... for instance, at no time did my water glass or wine glass go empty ... in fact, I suggest other restaurant managers SHOULD go to this restaurant to see how it's done ... oh yes, the meal ... in a word, fantastic ... I had a delightful seafood appetizer; superbly cooked scallops that melted in your mouth, with a sprinkling of dipping sauce ... followed by a house specialty, Zurich-style veal, with a mushroom cream sauce and rosti potatoes ... paired with a carafe of the house French red, I truly savoured each morsel ... trying to make it last longer ... my companion had an exceptional salad, that he described as light, crisp and tasty ... followed by the tenderloin with just the right covering of gorgonzola and asparagus ... again, it was cooked to perfection, as everything seemed to be ... then the dessert ... afraid to say, I cant recall quite what it was (had a bit too much wine at this point), but it was quite chocolately and exquisite ... my friend had the creme brulee ... or rather, three creme brulees! ... it came in three separate containers ... one vanilla, one chocolate and one coffee flavoured ... UN-believable ... and each covering was perfectly encrusted by the chef ... all in all, this proved to be a memorable dining experience -- portions were just about right as well ... unlike many other high-end restaurants where one can go away wanting, we were stuffed after the three courses, which also included freshly baked dinner bread... so, including a healthy tip, wine and after-dinner coffee, it came to about $135 per person ... a bit pricey, but worth every penny!!!! ... and, I'd go back in a heartbeat ... HIGHLY recommended ...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Outstanding restaurant, one of the best in North America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I thought one of the prior reviewers was exaggerating (or being generous) to compare Post Hotel Restaurant with The French Laundry in Napa and I still think it's a stretch to make the comparison, yet I now understand why the comparison was made. The food is nothing short of outstanding and the atmosphere was excellent. If you are a wine connoisseur (I am not), you will not be disappointed, with more than 25,000 bottles to choose from among (see attached photo for just a small glimpse into their extensive wine cellar). Each course was ideally prepared and had just the right balance of spice to bring out the best flavor. It is expensive, although certainly a worthy spend. Do not miss this restaurant when you are in the Lake Louise area. Or even if you are in Banff (about 40 minutes away), it is worth the drive.

• 5 of 5 stars Food