“Fabulous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Save Saved
You added Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise to your Saves list
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   111 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta T0L 1E0, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4TH NIGHT FREE!
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Lake Louise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh
“Fabulous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

Having read the reviews on trip advisor before we left, we were expecting a bit of a mixed bag.

However, our fears were allayed immediately on arrival (apart from some rudeness from one of the valet car parkers when we inadvertently parked in a valet car park space - he obviously wasn't happy we decided to park our own car!) and we received an upgrade to a deluxe lake view room which was stunning.

The work on the front lawn is still ongoing but was a minor inconvenience when you consider the setting.

Service was outstanding in the Lake View Lounge and the Victoria Restaurant - one piece of advice - book the restaurants as soon as you arrive - we couldn't get into the Victoria on our first night.

I agree with a previous review that $6 Canadian for the water in the room is excessive and in a hotel of that standard should be complimentary but otherwise the room was great.

Contrary to a previous review there is plenty to do around Lake Louise - Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake, the town of Field and the spiral tunnels to name but a few.

All in all the Chateau Lake Louise was outstanding and one of the highlights of our three week holiday to Canada.

Stayed September 2005

2,481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

The hotel is FANTASTIC.
I had a lakeside room that the view is awesome.
Go to the fairmont website and signup for the priority program, it is free.
I was in the new wing on the 5th floor with and INCREDIBLE view

Lake Louise Trip report

I was vacationing at lake Louise September 9-12.
I stayed at the Chateau.
It was wonderful. I was on the 5th floor of the new wing with a beautiful lake view.

The beds were comfortable, the mini bar stocked, the bathroom AWESOME and the view, INCREDIBLE.
I had signed up for the presidents club (free) and had a fantastic view of the lake.
The service was impeccable.
I stayed at the Chateau. Since my trip I have met people who BUS TRIPPED the chateau, but a select few STAYED at the Chateau. There is panache and bragging rights to it.

I mountain biked BY the Post Hotel it looked okay, but like any hotel anywhere and it was IN TOWN not ON THE LAKE

The chateau was a wonderful experience

The tourist buses? I was out hiking the glaciers all day one day and mountain biking the next.
I shopped around 6:30 in the evening and had the stores to myself.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would travel to lake louise and not stay at the chateau

I hiked to the field of the 6 galciers. It was a 4 hour hike. I started at the Chateau and hiked up high. The trail was moderate. One part was on a cliff with a wire to hold onto. I just did not look down. The ledge was a few feet across and it was safe, just unsettling for me. This was a very short part of the hike. Then I went mountain biking on the tramline trail until it rained.
I dined in the fairview dining room with a window view of the glacier. I had shrimp appetizer and filet mignon dinner. Excellent. I was by myself and they offered me reading materila and were very concious of my needs.
The next day I went mountain biking from 9:30-3:30. I rode the tramline and ross lake trails. I saw a grizzly up close and personal (5 feet from the trail) and an elk. I watched the elk and fled the bear.
Then I took the lake Louise Ski area gondola to the top. I saw some in credible views and toured the nature center.
Then I shopped at the chateau shops.
Then I had dinner in the Waller Strube. Another window view but it was getting dark. Make your reservations for daylight if you can.
I had fondue. Lobster, shrimp and scallops that I cooked in broth. Now I tried it for the experience but it was like I was cooking my own dinner . I had much wine overpoured by the maitre'd who saw my distress.
Still a unique expereince.
I was only there 2 days 3 nights a s I was on a business trip in kanansakis during the week and took the weekend for me.

• Stayed September 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2005

I think it is essential that if at all possible you get a room with a view of the Lake. We had a suite and the room and the view were fantastic. One of the nicest hotel rooms we have had in our many years of traveling.

• Stayed August 2005
Nashville TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

I stayed at the Chateau for 1 night in Aug. 2005. We had a deluxe room with a lake view. The hotel lives up to its billing. Service was excellent, room was large & very well appointed. We had an excellent dinner in the Victoria room with a view of Lake Louise & Victoria Glacier. They feature some excellent hard to find Canadian wines. The verandah area where you would walk out to view the lake is under construction. My travel mate had visited the hotel in Nov. of 2004 & found that not much headway had been done on finishing the project. My only complaint would be that we had a connecting room (#423) that was anyting but peaceful. The family in the room next had 3 children. Late into the night we could hear every word they said & every giggle. It was as if they were in our room! I suggest the hotel replace those doors with sound proof ones.

KA Snodgrass, AAA Travel Nashville TN

Stayed August 2005
Plano
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2005

I had been to this hotel in 2001 with my father. He fell in love with Lake Louise and this hotel. For years he talked about our trip. Recently his prostate cancer has advanced and he doesn't have much time. To cheer him up and spend some quality time with him, I booked another trip to the three Fairmont hotels of Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Since the last time we were in Lake Louise we did not get a lake view room, I specifically called and made reservations for a lake view room. I emphatically explained that unless I am guaranteed a lake view room, I am not interested in staying there. They assured me of it.

When we showed up, they gave us a room in the newer tower built behind the main tower. It had lake view but obstructed by the other tower. It wasn't the beautiful view that I had imagined for my father. It took an hour to talk to the manager and they just threw up their arms and said that they can't do anything for me. They insisted that our room was lake view. The attitude of the manager was poor and she did not do anything to help out.

Compared to the older tower, the rooms in the newly built rear tower are much bigger, cleaner, and have a lot more luxurious amenities. In that respect they were better. However, the view is no where as nice. Additionally, every bus in North America pulls into the drive way directly in front of the lake facing rooms in the new tower. You can imagine the noise of diesel engines running, the exhaust fumes, and the constant beeping of when the buses back up. As early as 6:30 AM the buses started coming to the lake and so with open windows we were woken up every morning. In many ways, I felt like I was in Disneyland. As these buses open their doors, hords of tourists run out to the restaurants, lobby of the hotel, etc. You may have as well stayed at Disneyland. With all of this commotion, tourists, noise, etc. you cannot possibly enjoy the peace and serenity of the mountains and the lake. It was so bad that we decided to leave our hotel and go to the Post to eat dinner and enjoy relaxing on a chair outside to read and talk. I would highly recommend the Post Hotel instead of Fairmont.

Finally, when we were there in late May, the entire front of the hotel and lake front was torn up and under construction. For the $500 a night price tag, I got ripped off.

• Stayed May 2005
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

After much discussion about potential summer travel destinations, my friend and I decided on the Canadian Rockies. She loves camping and I love anything that can be done outdoors. I began researching the many areas to visit and having only a week to stay, decided that we would go to Banff and Lake Louise. The two 'hot spots' in the Canadian Rockies. Hot in both temperature and popularity! We would be staying in Banff for the first few days but decided to splurge and treat ourselves to the last two days/night
at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, which we would soon come to realize, is one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth (and I've had to good fortune to see many of those places!)

Getting There:

We flew from New York to Calgary and rented a car. Calgary Airport has car rental terminals on site so you can literally step across the passenger pickup lane and into your rent a car. No shuttles to contend with, no need to consult a map to find the rental agency. Very convenient.
The beginning of our trip was spent in Banff, a 90 minute drive from the airport, a beautiful place, but all the while we knew that the end of our trip would be the most glorious, Lake Louise!
The Chateau Lake Louise is nestled within the vast wilderness known as the Banff National Park. Roughly a 2 hour drive west on the Trans Canada Highway known as Highway 1. There also exists a 1A that runs parallel but 1 is much more scenic and a wider highway so less traffic.
The hotel can also schedule airport pickups if you don't want to drive but I recommend renting a car, it's not necessary if you're only staying in Lake Louise, but there is so much to see in the surrounding areas. It's more than worth it.

Chateau Arrival:

As we drove the final leg of our journey up to the Chateau, after enjoying our time in Banff, we could not believe our eyes. The Chateau sits on the stunning Lake Louise. Nearly enveloped by the surrounding Rocky Mountain peaks. The teal color of the water truly looks like it has been painted by the brush of a masterful artist. The absolutely pristine environment nearly causes visitors to speak in whispers, the lake and property are so awe inspiring.
Puling up to the circular driveway, the bellman/ valet services dressed in native Swiss themed garb, graciously asked if he could park our car or we could opt to park it ourselves. He could carry our bags unless we could manage ourselves. The staff is completely accomodating in every way, not to mention friendly and hospitable. Valet parking is $22 Canadian per day but it is quite easy to park the car on site yourself as well.

Check-In:

Walking through the main lobby, music from an unseen harpist drifting through the large hallways, we approached the desk to check in. To our amazement, the hotel had given us a room upgrade to a deluxe suite in the new wing. The older section of the hotel is also quite beautiful but the new wing has larger rooms and an incredible view of the whole expanse of the lake. Suffice it to say, we were already quite pleased with the Fairmont services!

The Room:

Walking into the room we put our bags down, astounded at the vision before us. Our gorgeous room, complete with plush feather topped queen size mattresses on the cherry wood bed, also had a sitting area, table, desk and window seat overlooking the changing colors of Lake Louise. Turing to each other, we said we could have been content never leaving our room, the lake view was so mesmerizing.
As we explored our fantastic room there were more surprises in store, complimentary coffee, tea, well-stocked mini bar, high-speed internet access, down comforters, and the most sumptious bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel, complete with tremendous soaking tub and two bathrobes. We were in Heaven! I took pictures of the bathroom, it was that much of an experience! Marble everything, french doors, double sink whose vanity ran the length of the room, shower massager, tons of soaps and shampoos as well as a loofah sponge!

The Restaurants:

The hotel boasts a number of different restaurants which cater to all tastes and budgets. It is highly advisable to make dinner reservations with the dining desk in the lobby to be sure you get the seating time you would like. Ask for a table next to the windows, whichever dining room you choose. The Victoria room dining experience is incredible. Wonderful food and a view from the 2nd floor overlooking the lake. The other dining rooms include, the Walliser Sube, Canadian fare and game specialties, the Lakeview Lounge, wonderful for drinks and for Afternoon Tea Service, The Glacier Saloon, a pub atmosphere, the Chateau Deli, a great place for sandwiches to take on day hikes, the Fairview Dining Room and the Poppy Brasserie. The hotel can also pack you a picnic lunch if you're planning to be out for the day. The Chateau also has an extensive in-room dining menu which is quite reasonably priced as well.

Things to do:

The hotel concierge is more than happy to assist you in any way while at Lake Louise. We explained we were only going to be there for 2 days and she suggested that we had to take the hike to the Teahouse. There are a number of hiking trails that began right in front of the hotel. The Teahouse hike is a 3.5 km hike that takes about 1 1/2 hours walking at a moderate pace. Be sure to bring water and an energy bar if you're prone to fatigue. The hike is not that difficult but there are times when you're walking at quite an incline. The view from the top is magnificent. The teahouse serves soups, sandwiches and quiche, as well as home baked goodies. They cook using no electricity so you may have to wait a little longer for your freshly ground by hand coffee to arrive but it is worth the wait!
The area also boasts tons of activities depending on your interests. Canoeing, mountain biking, fly-fishing, horseback riding, skiing and snowboarding are all available right outside of the Chateau. The Lake Louise Gondola, which is close by, transports you to the pinnacle of the mountain peaks. See Lake Louise and the surrounding area from the restaurant up at the top. Stunning vistas not to be missed.
The hotel has a wonderful fitness room, as well as indoor pool and hot tub in the spa. There is also a separate Aveda spa on premises for all your facial, massage, manicure, pedicure needs.
There is a lot to be said for spending some quiet time sitting lakeside on a boulder, watching nature at work in the beauty that is Lake Louise.

Fondest Memories:

Spending time, even one night, at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise takes you back to a bygone era. The hallways are filled with wonderful old photos from the 1800's and early 1900's when couples arrived on their honeymoons, the women in hats, ankle boots and floor length dresses, the men adorned in their Sunday finest. A simpler time, a gentle age of beauty, wonder and simplicity. Live harp, piano and guitar performances throughout the current hotel add to our sense of beauty on all levels, in addition to the natural beauty just outside the door. The incredible atmosphere at the Chateau, causes visitors to stop, take a deep breath, and say "thank you" that amidst the chaos of the world, somewhere like this still exists for us to go.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

Having visited Lake Louise before I was looking forward to staying it what looks like a fabulous hotel. However when I arrived I was given a smoking room, not pleasent when I don't smoke. As I had no other option this was the room I was stuck with. Looking at the pictures you imagine a very glamourous room, well I've seen nicer rooms in many other hotels. The bed although huge took up most of the space in the room. The most disappointing thing for me was the bathroom, it was tiny, to be able to do anything you had to shut the door to move around the space was so minimal.

The only saving grace was the view, it was amazing, however I could have simply visited the Lake and not paid a small fortune to stay in the hotel.

My advise would be come visit the hotel but stay in Banff, Lake Louise has little to offer for a long stay.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business

Been to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise? Share your experiences!