“Wish we stayed longer!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moraine Lake Lodge

Save Saved
You added Moraine Lake Lodge to your Saves list
Moraine Lake Lodge
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   PO Box 70, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta T0l 1E0, Canada   |
Adelaide, Australia
“Wish we stayed longer!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in cabin 18 and had the most amazing view of Moraine Lake. Our room was smaller than I expected, especially the bathroom, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. The room was very clean upon our arrival. We loved the wood fire, kept us warm all night! We enjoyed tea and biscuits in the library in the afternoon. The use of the canoes is included in the price and something I highly recommend for people to see another side of the lake. We ate at the restaurant for dinner, and although pricey, it was the most delicious meal I've had in a while! Breakfast was included in the price also, and this was ok. All of the staff were very friendly and courteous. We loved staying here, I only wish we had of stayed for more than one night!!

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights 22 - 25th September. Our room with a balcony and view by the lakeside had a fairly limited view of the lake: the room had an aircon system which was disturbingly noisy and we were unable to turn it off. We asked for this to be looked at, but no improvement was achieved. So we had 3 nights of disturbed sleep, with aircon and other clumping noises from the heating system. Staff were not very friendly and the hotel was priced according to the location, certainly not in line with the service it offered. Very disappointed and would not recommend it.

Worksop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We scheduled a stop at Moraine Lake Lodge for 2 nights to give us a bit of a break from travelling. Oh how we wishes we had booked longer!. The place is magical and just right to rekindle your batteries and rest. We arrived on a cold wet day and dropped by our coach driver at the bottom of the drive. Two minutes later our cases were carried on a little wagon directly to our room. The rooms are a bit on the small side but were warm and welcoming with a real log fire. Spectalur views of the lake and mountains from our balcony. There are no phones or televisions in the rooms - perfect! The only downside was that the room could have done with a small table or something for small personal objects.

Woke up on the first morning to snow falling, absolutely beautiful. Spent a restful day just walking and relaxing and throwing logs on the fire. All the staff from the manager down to the "house maids" were brilliant. They should be commended. Had two terrific meals in the restaurant, although pricey were excellent - you must taste their bread and butter pudding - delicious! Forget the Chateau on Lake Louise - try this place. The smell of wood smoke will forever mean Lake Moraine Lodge to us.

Room Tip: Worth paying that bit extra for lake view and log fire
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had decided to spend one night here because I am a photographer & wanted to be close to Moraine Lake (which is beautiful) in the evening and early morning when all the tourists would be elsewhere. For that reason alone I don't regret spending so much. At most lodges and cabins you can drive directly to your cabin. Here you cannot and I had to wait a while to get someone to take my luggage on a golf cart to my room. My room with a small sitting area was lovely but a little smaller than I expected. I did have a small balcony. I had a dinner in the restaurant and the fish was excellent. I am not a gourmet and some of the other things on the plate I didn't even know what the heck they were and didn't care for the taste.The restaurant has many excellent reviews so you probably should ignore this one as from someone with a questionable palate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
St. Charles, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nts. in the main lodge right next to the library (room 25). While the walls were paper thin (we could hear the guy right next to us shave every morning), we were lucky that the other guests seemed aware of that and behaved accordingly so we didn't really have to listen to heavy footsteps & loud voices. The room had a feel of rustic elegance. I didn't mind not having a TV or radio. My husband is addicted to the TV and would have driven everyone around us crazy with it turned on every minute we were in the room. The beds were tall, a little too tall for a 5'1" person like myself. I would have had trouble climbing into bed every night had I not brought along a small collapsible foot stool that I use on the plane. The view of the lake was very nice, but it was a little too chilly in the evening to sit out and enjoy it. Besides, a short person sitting in the patio chair tends to look out straight into the railing rather than the lake. We enjoyed the complimentary features such as breakfast, guided hike with Kevin & the evening lecture in the library. Dinner was nice but also very pricey. I don't mind spluging occasionally, and our overall experience in Banff & Jasper National Parks was that you will spend more money than you care to. But this place is really expensive. If you ask me, I was ok with spending $429 a nt., but if you ask my husband, he would have chosen something less expensive (and with a TV). At least we had wi-fi (albeit very slow) to stay connected with the outside world. Oh, and it's true about the hordes of visitors. There's nothing private about the place. You share the view with tons of day trippers who are strolling through to take in the beauty of Moraine Lake. I overlooked that because we did the same thing to the guests staying at the Fairmont Lake Louise.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Moraine Lake Lodge is a wonderful hotel to stay in during your visit through the Canadian Rockies. We spent 10 days driving through the Rockies in early September and happened to stay one night at Moraine Lake which was wonderful, I am sorry that we only had the one night and not more. The hotel was friendly, clean and very comfortable. The food was delicious and the views AMAZING. You could sit on the balcony and look for hours at the reflection of the mountains in the lake.

It is a great base to tour the area, enjoy the local hikes and scenery whilst slightly away from the crowds (or at least before the day trippers arrive and once they leave). I hope to make it back here one day.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Georgetown, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed in Cabin 6 (we were told it's the owner's favorite and requested frequently by guests). When they opened the door the smell of wood smoke knocked us over. The smell in the cabin was so strong it was unbelievable. I was told "they all smell like that". The entire time we were in the room for the three days my eyes watered and my nose burned. If they didn't have a 2-week cancellation policy, we would have left and found another place to stay. We felt trapped there and tried to find things to do to stay out of the room as long as we could each day which is a shame because the cabin is a big part of the experience and cost. We stayed there on days 2-4 of our 9-day trip and when we got home our dirty laundry from those days still wreaked of smoke. I took a white washcloth and started dusting the room when we first got there and it was covered in soot when I was through. There were actually pieces of soot visible on the tops of the bedposts I noticed after I dusted on day three that my book and other personal items on the bed stand were coated in soot again. It was actually suffocating. The bed is a mattress on a hard wood base and is not very comfortable.

The location is fantastic, the lake phenomenal, the staff lukewarm, the restaurant is good. The snack bar is average and the shop is very overpriced. The area is very popular because of the hiking trails and the beauty of the lake. The parking lot is full by 10 am and cars are parked all the way down the road. There are many, many buses that come and fill the area. Guests have reserved parking, although cramped, but it was nice to have a space close to the lodge.

The free guided hiking and canoes are a nice addition to your room rate.

For $650 a night (US conversion), we expected a cleaner atmosphere and cabin. We would not stay there again. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moraine Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!