“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Post Hotel & Spa

You added Post Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Post Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Pipestone Rd, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta T0L 1E0, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lake Louise
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had been RV camping and decide on the Post for a nice meal out. We were not in our Sunday go to meeting clothes but we were in no worse turn out than any of the other diners. The Maitre d' was stuffy, pretentious and unwelcoming. The waitress was stiff but attentive if not well informed about the food she was serving. The menu is extensive and although not imaginative presented itself as first class. The food was disappointingly ordinary. Seasonal vegetables were a mound of over cooked yellow beans with bacon. The roasted potatoes were dry and appeared to have been kept in a warming pan too long. My husbands buffalo was fine but my fillet did not have the reduction the menu said it came with. The wine list is excellent. My coffe was luke warm but the waitress kindly made me a fresh pot. At $250.00 the bill was ridiculous. At that price I don't want to afford a second chance.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the Chateau and the concierge recommended dinner at The Post. I was so pleased, I couldn't have had another meal in the Saloon Bar. Dining options at the Chateau at this time of year seem to be limited.
Dinner at The Post is at the other end of the spectrum....it was magnificent. My son had a bison steak, my husband had caribou and I had salmon. All beautifully prepared and cooked. Lovely atmosphere, open fire, great staff. Our waiter Stefan was knowledgable about the wines (the cellar is incredible...25,000 bottles) and the menu. The dinner was a highlight of our trip, we loved it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
cochrane alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a very expensive hotel. I paid over $300.00 for a very average room. I was looking forward to a Jacuzzi bath in the morning but it was not working. The beds are hard, the trains are loud and I should have spent a few dollars more to stay elsewhere. I won't be staying again, nor will I be recommending this overpriced very average hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying here over Christmas, it was expensive but worth every penny. We had a lovely room with terrace and fire on the top floor with a fabulous view through the snow covered trees to the skihill The public areas were beautifully decorated and the staff excellent. This place has a personal charm that the Chateau certainly does not. It was nice to visit the Chateau but lovely to return to the Post knowing our snug room awaited us. We had a beautiful meal (one of the best I have experienced) on the 28th and were very well served by Michael including a visit to the amazing wine cellar! Thank you for making our stay so special,My only gripe was the pub which we visited for dinner on Christmas Day where the special was turkey Unfortunately this was slices of meat atop mashed potato with a few sprouts, nothing else! well if that's how you celebrate Christmas in Canada I am staying in London!!

Room Tip: The top floor at the back had a stunning view and was very quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Spent 6 nights at the Post Hotel - my previous three stays were more than 6 years ago. The Hotel is frankly amazing. The decor, maintenance and attention to detail are extraordinary. While the rooms are well furnished, there are wonderful public places to hang out in, including a well equipped library with fireplace, many books and games. Housekeeping is thorough; the turn down service can include, if required, a full redo of the room - towels, cleaning, etc. The front desk is very helpful with ski and sightseeing arrangements and has a huge collection of excellent dvd movies if the satellite offerings don't sate. Breakfast options are excellent - though the cold buffet could use a little higher quality fresh fruit and $10 for oatmeal is a bit much. Afternoon tea by the skating area is a delight - with the beverages complimentary. The dining room is one of Canada's finest and lives up to its reputation with very well executed food, discreet service and excellent wine choices. The informal pub in the basement shares the same kitchen, has solid offerings, though the service when we were there was spotty. The hotel has an immaculate pool, hot tub and exercise room. The proprietors are on site a lot and seem totally on top of it; it means a lot in this era of soulless luxury hotels.

Years ago when one US dollar equalled 75 Canadian cents the Post Hotel was a deal. Now it is just good value for a great experience.

This was a family trip so we did not take advantage of the man cave accessed from the restaurant for cigars, scotch, after dinner drinks. The setting and ambiance suitably impressed my teenage son and drew after dinner guests from the Fairmont up at Lake Louise while we were there.

Room Tip: There is a variety of room options, inlcuding loft suites for families with working fire palces. So...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We love the Chateau at Lake Louise but this was even nicer. $380 a night gets you a nice room with a wood-burning firplace, a nice view of the mountains, and great service. If you want to have a special dinner the restaurant there is superb (somallier and all), yet the pub is also fun. Some nice nooks and crannies where you can relax. Wish they had skates you could rent to try out the ice rink out front. The entire staff was very friendly. Just a short trek to the Bow River for a wonderful hike. Had a great couple's massage. We definitely plan to come back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting the Lake Louise area, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we experienced wonderful service that was warm and friendly. Our room was clean and spacious and the food at the restaurant was first class arguably some of the best food I have ever tasted, my only regret was that we did not spend longer in the Lake Louise area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Post Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!