“Above Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Lodge

You added Deer Lodge to your Saves list
Deer Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta T0L 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Lake Louise
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Above Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The location is near Lake Louise and 2nd to Chateau Fairmont Lake Louise. This is a rustic old lodge and it is clean. Try to book a Heritage room and ask for a room at the end of the new wing to avoid any noise from other guest walking outside the corridor. Just asked for an upgrade nicely. I was given one without any surcharge. I guess, the other standard rooms are cater mainly for budget travellers. The staff are mainly young people and students so start a conversation with them and you will be surprised with the positive responses you will get. We had 2 dinners here and the food is great. Be realistic, Lake Louise is expensive place for an holiday and we find the prices here acceptable. We came from Asia where our currency is one third of the Canadian dollar and we are not complaining. If you are a snob and demand excellent services and 100 percentage perfection, then go stay in the Chateau Fairmont and pay almost double the cost. Sorry, my review may appear to be sharp as I am responding to the few recent unfair reviews posted. Hope my review are informative and will be helpful to other travellers. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Heritage room, at the end of the new wing on the ground floor as there is no lift for this 3 storied...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Not worth the money staff are no help whatsoever and very rude room was filthy and so uncomfortable no tv no radio food was less than ok... Even other guests were so rude it made me mad.... Thank god we only stayed the night.... NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed April 2014
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We knew in advance that this is a very old hotel, so we were ready for small rooms, noisy hallways etc. But we did not anticipate how bad it is on cleanliness. We took pictures, but they are simply too terrible to post. Here is a quick summary: Sticky floor, a huge hairball under the table, really dirty vent in the bathroom, water stains on the bathroom floor where they had/have leaky plumbing, dirty toilet, bunch of hair in the bed, and a whole window ledge covered in mouse droppings (interior side of the screen). The bed cover had a stain on it, obviously the duvets are not washed between guests, but the sheets are. They really need new bedding ideas. We never made it to the hot tub, too many people there late into the night.

On the good side: The front desk staff was great during check-in, really helpful and nice. We had a breakfast at the hotel (food ok), staff great there as well, but dishes were a bit dirty and table not wiped. So... We are wondering how it is possible that a charming old hotel with so much potential, fantastic location and a long history can care so little about housekeeping. To me, cleanliness matters a lot.
We hear that the new renovated part of the hotel is much better, so maybe aim for that if you will stay there. I am really sad about this place, -- we were really looking forward to staying here, but the lack of housekeeping was so disappointing. Looking at other people's reviews, maybe we just had back luck.

Room Tip: Aim for the new renovated section.
Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel had very mixed reviews, so wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but we were for the most part very happy with our stay.
We stayed for a few nights to ski at Lake Louise resort, and check out the lake itself. Being American...we weren't aware how famous the Lake and the Chateau apparently are in Canada - now we do!
The lodge is totally fine - definitely an antique feel, but for the most part that is nice, and they have some interesting photos and things from years past up. The restaurant and sitting room areas are pleasant, although a bit formal for our taste. As others said, the hallways right around the reception could really use a make-over, from being older and not re-done they have a kind of funny smell, which isn't good right when you are walking in.
We stayed in the newer wing in one on the King rooms, which was nice. The room is big enough, bed very comfortable, and it's nice and quiet.
Food in the restaurant is good, and slightly less crazy expensive than the Chateau. It was a quiet week when we were there, and we had good service, friendly and attentive, almost too attentive!
We didn't use the hot-tub, the water didn't feel hot enough to us, and you had to walk kind of far through the hallways from our room to get there.
Only downside of staying there is there is pretty much nothing else around except the chateau and a really small center with a few stores and one restaurant. But it was convenient for skiing, with the shuttle, and to enjoy being in the mountains.
Would recommend, especially if you want to stay by the lake and don't want a pretentious big hotel experience.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Well I loved staying in this hotel. I felt like I had stepped into another age, with dark wooden furniture, stuffed elk and buffalo heads, creaky stairs and ornate wall paper. The lounge room and Lady Agnes room are decked out in beautiful wooden tables, plush leather lounges and a cracking fire. The enormous lounge windows were perfect for watching the snow fall outside with Mt Fairview looming in the background. The bed was small (double) but comfortable and I loved the toiletries supplied, the Rose geranium body lotion was almost edible. The restaurant was excellent (see separate review). Built in 1920s the Lodge has an old world charm that will be indelible on our memories. My kids thought it was fantastic. Oh and the hot tub on the roof had amazing views across snowy peaks - worth staying here just for that!

Stayed April 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great:
- overall vibe - very cozy and lovely!
- fireplace / couches in sitting room
- location (!!!)
- comfy bed
- hot tub
- free coffee

Not great:
- staff were uninterested and bordering on rude
- room was SO small (different than website picture)
- room was loud
- hot tub jets weren't working and water wasn't very hot
- wifi didn't work
- restaurant was empty and we still got bad service!! food just okay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. I do apologize for the issues you had while staying with us, the level of service you describe certainly does not meet the standards we strive for. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know of these issues.
If you would like to speak to someone further regarding your stay, you can contact dlmanager@crmr.com
Hope to welcome you back in the future.
Strathmore, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Upon arrival the lodge is very quaint and beautiful, after checking in we immediately noticed how non soundproof the room was. Between the creaking stairs above, the hallway, and doors being slammed I never noticed 5 minutes of quiet. On the second day we decided to try the restaurant, after being seated and despite being one of only three tables it took 10 minutes to even be noticed by a waitress and then she went straight to taking our food order thinking she had already been by and took our drink order and we had picked water. I ordered a beer which was served with a glass, the glass had and I joke you not dust bunnies in and around it! After cleaning my glass I felt ok using it. My girlfriend and I both ordered steak which was very expensive and actually well cooked it just tasted like a 100 year old cow was used, and no seasoning once so ever. After dinner we decided to sit at the lounge bar and get a couple more drinks in before the 9pm yawn closing time. We sat there for over 20 minutes before being acknowledged, and after taking our drink order I was handed my beer and my girlfriend was told her cocktail would be made when he had time. We waited another 10 minutes and nothing so I simply left my beer there and we walked away. That same night we decided to try the hot tub, if you like sharing luke warm bath water with a bunch of strangers you will love this place! I have never wrote a review on a hotel before because after staying in 50+ different ones in 5+ countries this has been my absolute worst experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. I do apologize for the issues you had while staying with us, the level of service you describe certainly does not meet the standards we strive for. I have passed your comments onto our food and beverage department; we do appreciate you taking the time to let us know of these issues.
Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!