“Beautiful location, but not much privacy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Louise Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Louise
Lake Louise Campground
Save Saved
You added Lake Louise Campground to your Saves list
Fairview Road, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada   |
Halifax, Canada
“Beautiful location, but not much privacy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

There are 2 parts to this campground, one for RV's and a separate one for tents and soft sided campers. The tenting campground has an electric fence surrounding it to keep out the bear. The sites are well spaced, treed and pleasant. We travelled with an RV so were kept outside the fence! We were assigned our site and as we drove in I was at first excited, we had a good sized pull-though site with electricity. Then I noticed that there was a marker at the end of the driveway: this wasn't one space, but two! By that evening our neighbours had arrived, we were both long RV's so we had to overlap. Our trailers were only inches apart. We were travelling with young children, I cautioned them to do no more than breathe!
Our site was right beside the beautiful turquoise river that runs through the campground, I was longing to go for a walk along the path which skirts the river on our last night in the park, but we had run out of water while I was washing dishes. I was waiting, impatiently, for my husband and children to return with the buckets of water from the distant water pump, when I heard a commotion. Just then my husband returned and stated that the park wardens were trying to move a large mother Black Bear and her 2 cubs off of the trail, 20 ft from our trailer. I kind of wished we were inside of the fence then, I don't know much protection 1/2 inch walls provide.
My advice, try to stay in the fenced area: there's more privacyand protection. This campground is ideally located and we were in the shadows of a magnificent mountain, with the stunning river and wildflowers, but I didn't like sharing a site.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stratford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here for one night on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
It was such a beautiful warm day when I first entered the park and drove across the electrified rollers into the campgrounds. Pitched my tent and drove into Lake Louise for some sight seeing.
Upon returning later that evening couldn't believe how fast the temp. was dropping!
Tried my hardest to start a fire but without proper kindling I found it next to impossible to get the bigger logs going...so the only thing I had to burn were road maps of Quebec...sorry all you Hab fans nothing personal I assure you! That did the trick although I still think the logs weren't dry enough to begin with. Trying to sleep was another matter as the rail line close by had diesel locomotives shunting cars back and forth all night long...I'm a light sleeper inside a tent so it was around this time I'm second guessing my decision to camp in the great outdoors but you deal with the hand that life gives you right? So I spent the rest of the night curled up inside my sleeping bag shaking from the cold and fantasizing about a nice warm hotel room with a whirlpool and a king size bed and the smell of bacon and cable TV and you know what...sunrise came before I knew it and I did get that nice warm room the next night in Lake Louise but that's another review for next time and you're not going to believe what happened at that hotel...very unexpected for sure!!!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs for the trains!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
North Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed one night at Lake Louise campground after spending the previous night at Tunnel Mountain Campground closer to Banff, we wished we had stayed another night at Tunnel Mountain and just packed up early for a day of activity at Lake Morraine and Lake Louise. The campground was decent and the bathrooms were cleaned, however, the electric fence surrounding the camp ground really was a disappointment and made you feel much less connected with the surrounding nature. You are still surrounded by fantastic views and scenery but personal preference gives Tunnel Mountain the winning vote in my opinion!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August 2011 (overlooked this review as we have been travelling ever since) and really liked it. The pitches are spacious and well-spaced. It was good to have our own picnic table. We were a bit of a walk from the showers, but that was not really a problem (a smaller block of loos and wash basins was closer). The bear fence made us feel safer! There were talks in the evenings from rangers - both were very good, engaging and informative. The site is only a few minutes drive from the lake and other sights, but is also close to the amenities of the town. We'd definitely stay here if we ever camp in the area again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Barrie, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed in the RV section of the campground. The sites are shared, meaning there are two rvs on each site. There was about one metre between our unit and our neighbor's unit. We were so close we could hear the neighbor's tv and water pump etc. The picnic table was old and covered with cooking grease. There is one shower block (dated) that was 400 metres from our site. The only saving grace for this place is the location. I just wonder what my camping fee is paying for. Also, only about 10 sites with fire pits. I would never go there again or recommend it to anyone.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Very clean well laid out park. Nice roomy sites although ours was on a bit of an angle. Like many campgrounds in the Rockies it is near the trainline so be prepared for some noise (by the end of the trip we found the trains soothing!). Nothing special but fine for somewhere to stay on the way through.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had very low expectations heading out to the Lake Louise Campground for the weekend, but it is certainly nothing near as bad as what others have said.

-- This campground is NOT 15 minutes to Lake Lousie - we biked from our site to the town in 10 minutes, with an 8 and 10 year old.
-- It is true that there are trains passing by the campground all day and all night and they do blow their whistle - likely so no human or animal gets killed by a train - this is not something they need to make an excuse for and they clearly state this to anyone who books a site with them. Now if you are in a tent, I am sure this is going to be an issue, but sleeping in a hard sided trailer, we all slept without any issues even with the train noise and we were very close to the tracks.
-- Most of the sites in the RV portion are double sites, meaning you pull in to the large site in opposite directions of your neighbour so the driver side of your units are together and the door side or passenger side of your unit is on it's own site with a picnic table. Because of this though, the power outlet is actually on the wrong side of the unit, meaning you might want to bring an extension cord for 30 amp power if you do not already have one.
-- There are bears, and rightly so they take this very seriously - you have to keep your site clean as bears do and will come around looking for food and this is dangerous to their well being if they find any.
-- The shows they put on in the evening are actually pretty good - they include video as well as a performer and our kids love these shows, they are educational but in a very sneaky way.
-- I did find it took too long to get checked in, they should have more than one window open on a Friday, as people should not have to wait as though they were crossing the border just to register for their site.
-- The washrooms/showers are very clean
-- I was quite surprised by the number of rental RVs we saw in the park - I would say almost half were rentals - so clearly this is a place where people have come from all over the world as Lake Louise is one of the most beautiful spots in it.
All in all we would return but only for a short stay and only to take in hikes in the area as there is little for anyone to do in the actual campground itself - no playground, which was a bit of a downside.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lake Louise Campground? Share your experiences!