“Enjoyed dinner at The Bison” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 128 Restaurants in Banff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
Midland, Canada
“Enjoyed dinner at The Bison”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

We had our hearts set on The Maple Leaf for dinner during the Easter weekend but alas we waited too long to book so we had to look elsewhere. Happy to discover The Bison has the same owners and same commitment to tasty food and excellent wine. We tried the signature dishes other diners have raved about and were not disappointed. The roasted squash from the hot and fiery oven was super. The prices are significant but overall we were good with our choices, the service and the friendly staff. We were seated near the open kitchen which is good if you like action while you are dining - also a little noisy when you add the music and entrance. Definitely ask for a table near the windows for a more romantic dining experience. We appreciated the dessert offered to celebrate a birthday.

• Visited April 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
“Fancy and pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2015

I had the pork, It was difficult to cut up from the massive chunk and not as flavorful as I would like. the escargot and bone marrow was good. the Sangria was full of pulped berries and difficult to drink the last 1/3. The ambiance was great

Visited April 2015
Edmonton,Canada
“Good food, but overpriced.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2015

First of all, I have to say that this restaurant has both an upper and a lower restaurant. The upper is a fine dinning restaurant called the Bison and the lower is a pizza and beer place called the Bear Street Tavern. Many people here are making the mistake that they are the same restaurant. We tried them both.

The Bison has been on our list to try and it was quite good. We shared the Bison ravioli and scallops, the bison carpaccio and the gnocchi poutine. I would do the ravioli and poutine again, but the carpaccio was small and just meh...For dinner I had the braised bison short ribs and my wife had the lamb. I felt my short rib was a litter over cooked, but it was still pretty good. My wife liked her lamb, but at the end of the day it was just another lamb. Nothing to write home about. We also shared a bottle of really nice Syrah red wine. Michael David, 6th sense Syrah. Highly recommend it.

All and all we found the prices were a little high and that includes the wine list. The food was good, not great. Would I go back? Probably not.

• Visited April 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Meath
“Great food. Super service. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2015

The Bison took us without a reservation on Easter Sunday with our 6 month old IN his stroller! We were told by a nearby steakhouse that baba would not be permitted entry in his stroller even though he was asleep. So we duly moved around the corner and found the Bison rest. And what a gem! They took us up to their fine dining room with beautiful views at the back. They couldn't have been more accommodating. I had a delicious Caesar salad to start and the prime rib which was cooked perfectly and very very tasty. Sides were very good. My better half had short rib which he devoured in no time. Which was preceded by scallops which were just divine. All in all a very good meal and top drawer service with lots of smiles. Would never complain about the few dollars extra here as great service with lots of tasty food is not on every corner despite what trip advisor reviews say! Unbelievable that this establishment is ranked behind a regular old steakhouse

Calgary, Canada
“Good pizza, Excellent beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2015

My wife and I had been meaning to go to this place for a while now, and finally managed to get there on our most recent trip to Banff.

And the deciding factor was it was pizza night, selected pizzas were $10, and also we went in their Happy Hour and got cheap beer - what's not to like?

I had the Donair Pizza, which was very good, but after 3/4 of it, it started to be a little bit sweet, so I would go for a more traditional pizza next time.

It is a very popular place, especially on Pizza night, we managed to get a seat at the bar, and by the time we left, the place was packed.

• Visited March 2015