“Scrumptious for ALL!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 127 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
“Scrumptious for ALL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015 NEW

I went to the Bison on a Thursday night with my husband, my brother and his wife. We were greeted immediately, and there was a table available right away. Apart from myself, the other three diners are meat eaters and we chose The Bison because they had great reviews, and were serving steak (a craving of one of our group members).
The restaurant is quaint. It's very cute, and modern and was very nice and clean. They have an extensive wine list. Our server, Sue (Sushi) was one of the best servers each person at the table had ever had. She was exceptional. Sue was very attentive and went beyond our expectations. When asked a question, she had an immediate, informed answer, and if she did not, she was quick to indicate she would get the answer. For me, a vegan, this is very important. Often servers make obvious guesses when asked about the food (and whether it is vegan or not) without considering the option of speaking with the chef.
Sue understood very clearly a vegan diet, and she was quick to tell me that there were some things that I would not be able to eat. She was also awesome to make a substitute on the Squash appetizer to make it vegan, and added their in-house vegan cheese. First of all, this squash dish was unreal-delish. The table shared it, but it would have been a fantastic meal on it's own for one. Everyone very much enjoyed this dish. Secondly, the vegan cheese added to this dish was out of this world tasty - it was so good, we all thought (regular cheese eaters included) that it might have mistakenly been non-vegan cheese by mistake, but it definitely wasn't!
I ordered the Vegan surprise dish. That night it was grilled up veggies. That sounds boring and plain, but this dish was not even close to boring and plain. It was BURSTING with flavor and the vegan cheese on this dish was beyond all expectations of vegan cheese.
The others at my table also enjoyed their food very much.
I will 100% be returning here without a doubt. And it's amazing to be able to get such tasty vegan food and amazing meat at the same place. What a treat (and a surprise) to this vegan. I recommend this restaurant to anybody, and I hope when you do get there, you are seated in Sue's section, because she is the best!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Sarnia
“Great food, Best service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015 NEW

We had a great experience at the Bison. Their food was excellent and the service was even better! Our server, Sushi (actually her nickname but that's what she goes by) was so knowledgable and helpful with choosing our meals. We had one member of our party who is Vegan. This at times can fluster and confuse servers. Sushi was so good she recommended a delicious dish(even to me, I'm totally not vegan) and also got her in touch with the person who makes Vegan "cheese" in town. This vegan cheese was icing on the cake, so to speak.
Bottom line, excellent service, great food! Definitely recommend!!

“It's a Treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2015 NEW

Definately make reservations because Saturday night was busy! They start you off with these little tray buns that have been brushed with herb infused butter and they are wonderful! The service was wonderful and the food came out very quick. I think a bit too quick. I had ordered the escargot on a bone and it would have been amazing if the bone marrow was warmed through. The thicker part of the marrow was still quite solid and it woud have been nice if it were at least spreadable. Other than that - meal was fantastic. I would not recommend this as a romantic dinner spot on Saturday nights only because it was busy and loud. I do however recommend this place for catching up with friends or girls night out meal. Delish!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good!!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2015

Very nice restaurant Rachel our server was very good! Menu very well thought out flavours are good! Only thing was scallops were over cooked and duck was sent back as was over cooked but good second time.

“Date night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2015

Great spot for a couple or group. The cozy, modern yet rustic environment invites great ambience. The service is fantastic and every dish was filled with flavour. Try the moose cocktail for a treat!

• 4 of 5 stars Food