“One of the best diniing experiences in Banff” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 127 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
Mississauga
“One of the best diniing experiences in Banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently visited Banff solo and asked all of the locals what their favourite restaurant was and surprisingly this one did not come up, but Trip Advisor had very positive reviews so I tried it. Boy am I glad I did. It was early on a weeknight (shortly after 5:30pm) so I had the restaurant almost to myself. I was seated upstairs beside the window with a great view of the mountains. I loved the food selections as everything is sourced from sustainable local farms and they show you on a map where the entrees are from. The wine and beer selections are large and varied, both by the glass and by the bottle and my waiter John was extremely knowledgeable about all the entrees, the beer and wine, even to the point of knowing many of the winemakers. He made my dining experience wonderful. He felt like an old friend after the meal. The servings are just the right size - not too large and a good price. It's my new favourite restaurant in Banff.

• Polish first
Saint Pete Beach, Florida
“One of best dining experiences of the year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I wanted a nice dinner out and always a bit skeptical of managing both with a 6 year old daughter....but Bison menu looked very nice and hey, if there is one place in Canada to eat beef it is Alberta. Needless to say coming from Florida were really looking for good spot and what more can be said, similiar to other reviews, Bison was excellent.

Made reservations in advance through courteous staff at Hidden Ridge Resort and greeted by hostess on arrival stating "you have the best table in the restaurant"...yeah, sure...umm...well, it was!!! Four high back chairs and beautiful table -- and could not have had a better server anywhere then John. There are waiters that know how to handle children in nice restaurants and those that do not...and John was truly exceptional. Made my daughter "best Shirley Temple" drink she has ever commented on....and to the nice photos he took, efficiently without hurrying service and great recommendations...down to the most incredible 3 homemade mini ice cream cones for her dessert. Really, excellent job to the entire restaurant....

Well, I had the Bison tenderloin - and my wife had the beef -- both were equally amazing - and John paired up some excellent wines (tried to find his suggested white Sumac Ridge I believe from Okanagan at wine stores to no avail - exceptional, he even brought out some raw sumac from kitchen where they use as unique spice when we inquired to the origins of sumac, really how often does service go to this positive extreme...have to say, again, and I do not waste a lot of time commenting on restaurants on this forum, but when service and quality and perfect evenings come, would be a shame not to recognize the great experience with Bison.

See you next November - and hope too many people do not request "best table" of course because of this...not that there are any bad ones - ambiance throughout restaurant was great and could see that a lot of locals there as well....we will be back is for sure!

New York City, New York
“Nice steakhouse with regionally sourced ingredients and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

There are two restaurants at this location. Downstairs is a bar and pizza place and upstairs is The Bison restaurant with a more traditional steak house menu. We made a reservation on Open Table for 9pm but arrived early to see if they could fit us in. They were able to reshuffle and got us seated at 8:30. Unfortunetely, there was a rowdy office party going on at the same time.

The food and service itself was excellent. Our waitress was pleasant and attentive. I went for the bison and was not disappointed. They actually ran out of bison ribeye but did have bison sirloin available so I chose that instead. It was perfecty prepared (medium rare) and had great flavor. They have a good wine list and a decent selection of wines by the glass (1 wine choice per varietal like most restaurants these days). The duck breast and Alberta beef tenderloin also got rave reviews at our table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wollongong, Australia
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'm really finding it difficult to think of a more enjoyable dining experience anywhere. Bookings are essential because of its popularity although we managed to squeeze in without one. The wait staff are fantastic - very friendly and knowledgable. And the food is superb. Order the bison medallions - they are brilliant!

Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Bison is on the menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I enjoyed a fabulous meal at the Bison. The waitress was very attentive and friendly and explained parts of the menu to us non-Canadians who are not familiar with local cuisine. We enjoyed a great bottle of red wine from the Prospect winery and it was fairly reasonably priced too. All the food is sourced from Alberta and British Columbia which added to the charm for us, I can heartily reccomend the Bison Steak.
We will look to book a table again next time we are in Banff

• Visited October 2012