“Spectacular heli-hiking experience! Should be on everyone's Bucket List.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Mountain Holidays

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Hiking Trails
Activities: Heli-skiing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: CMH Heli-Skiing and Summer adventures provides adventure travel in both the summer and winter seasons for all levels of travelers.
NJ
17 attraction reviews
“Spectacular heli-hiking experience! Should be on everyone's Bucket List.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

We did a short hiking escape at the Bobbie Burns lodge in September. CMH is a first rate company. The guides were outstanding. The guides were extremely professional, helpful and managed to personalize the hikes to everyone's ability. The Bobbie Burns lodge was very comfortable with good mattresses. The food was very good and special requests were gladly accommodated. The helicopter driver were amazing. The small lodge environment and family style dining with staff and other guests encourages guests to mingle and makes the experience even better. I cannot say enough good things about the CMH operation and all of the staff.

The actual hiking was amazing. The scenery was spectacular - some of the best in the world. Heli-hiking allows you to get to some very remote places without being a mountain climber. And, the Bobbie Burns lodge provided a very comfortable/rustic luxury environment to stay in.

I feel so lucky that we had this experience. It is definitely not to be missed! I hope to do this again. It was a spectacular experience.

Visited September 2014

Florida
24 attraction reviews
“Summer Heli Hiking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

See the reviews of Bobbie Burns lodge. A solid A+ company with outstanding employees and staff. Our experience was better than expected and look forward to returning. World class organization in world class mountains

Visited September 2014
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Beyond believably wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

I have done CMH's heli-hiking before . . . but many years had elapsed and I am now pushing 80. Other reviewers have mentioned the awe inspiring mountains--these glacier carved mountains, the still pristine streams, the myriad waterfalls, the alpine wildflowers and trees--and it's true that it's impossible to overpraise all that. I want to comment on the service. These folks make it OK to be an adventurer, do the via ferrata, climb rocks . . . or walk slowly and smell the flowers, take photos and just wander in awe, constantly saying, WOW. The staff treated me as worthy as the young and fit; AND we had a pre-schooler among our group (with grandparents) . . . That child was welcomed right along with the 30 somethings. The mountains are magnificent; the guides, cooks, pilot and mechanic, house staff--all equally wonderful. They, skiers all, make it possible for us to be among their treasures in the summer. Truly, CMH is one of Canada's, and the worlds, treasures as well.

Visited August 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
“Highly addictive...vacations of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My first vacation with Canadian Mountain Holidays took place 4 years ago at CMHs Galena Lodge. I never anticipated I could love a mountain range as passionately as the alps but the rockies had me at my first glance.
I had no idea what to expect on a trip like this but suffice it to say that I enjoyed it so much that two weeks after my first trip I immediately returned for a second trip.
The journey usually begins with a flight into Calgary spending the night at the Calgary Delta Airport Hotel. Upon Calgary arrival one usually spends the evening laughing and sharing stories with fellow heliskiers en route to one of CMHs eleven lodges.
Early next morning the bus transfer -except Valemount where transfer is by chartered plane- brings your final destination. At some of the lodges, after getting settled, safety briefing and ski/snowboard setup you will already ski a few runs in the afternoon.
What makes this such an incredible experience? Most lodges are in a remote setting only accessible by helicopter. The rooms at the lodges are basic; as a matter of fact when I saw my room for the first time I thought the last time I had stayed at a room like this was at my last high school trip. But the rooms are functional; a bathroom tub for showers and baths, enough space for ski gear and clothes and a comfortable bed. I was soon to discover that except for sleeping one does not spend time in the room. At the lodge there are no TV, papers or radio or anything else that would pull one towards the outer world that one just left. An exception is the wifi available free of charge at all the lodges. The lodges are absolutely stunning and offer everything one needs after intense days of out of this world skiing. Hot tub, the best massages I have had, phenomenal food, great wines, beer, pool table, ...everything is geared towards social interaction and shared experiences. In my opinion this is what sets skiing apart from most other activities. I am a highly passionate skier and love to spend every moment I have on skies but I do not enjoy skiing on my own. I think skiing should be a shared activity and sharing raises the pleasure to new heights. Now imagine being in one place where you can share this passion with likeminded people. Here friendships are forged to last a lifetime. Skiing in those remote areas is a revelation. Especially for Europeans where heliskiing usually means one run and earning of the golden hiking needle for the reminder of the day in order to get back to the village. Oh and that run usually is not in virgin untracked powder. With CMH you are looking -depending on ability and group- in between 12 to 20 runs PER DAY in absolutely perfect untracked champagne powder. Pillow drops, tree skiing,...possibilities one couldn't even dream of open up. The North American style of deep powder skiing is quite different from the European approach that seems to focus on the maximal number of turns per runs. North American style is more like "deep powder carving", something that makes you feel as if you can fly. Add to this being in the midst of wilderness, being part of the natural flow of things, the snow blowing in your face that you almost can't breath...to me this is the unbearable being of lightness. All troubles just seem to fade away and it dawns on you that they are entirely self made and meaningless. I have seen grown man in helicopters with rapt expressions of pleasure on their faces they last had when they found the firetruck they desperately wanted beneath the christmas tree at age 5.
So how does a typical CMH day look like? One gets (rudely:-) if you are a novice) awakened by a bell at 7:15am; 7:30am to 8am is stretch class. Breakfast is served at 8am and the first helicopter leaves at 9am. Depending on the lodge there can be 1 up to 4 groups per helicopter. If it is more than one group per helicopter the group who gets to be group one (i.e. ski the freshest most untracked powder) is rotated every day. Weather permitting one usually stays out the entire day until 4pm. Lunch is served on the mountain. Be assured, starve you won't. Quite the contrary. Upon return to the lodge an afternoon snack awaits; this is usually enjoyed with beer or wine reminiscing about the glories of the day. Then onto a massage or hot tub. Dinner is served around 7:30 and like breakfast shared with staff and guides. Usually one goes to bed around 10pm -unless there is a party- to recover for the next day of skiing one usually only has dreams about.
Is it suited for women? I can't begin to describe how much I have gained on a personal and professional level from these experiences. The boost in self-discipline, self-confidence and how to integrate myself naturally (as nature intended and not the uneasy coexistence to prevalent in corporate life) into a male dominated group has taught me invaluable lessons I can apply within my senior role in a testosterone heavy working environment.
A word of caution...once infected with the CMH bug you will spend all your disposable income on heliskiing. I figure there are worse ways to spend it :-).
A final word to CMH Lodges.
If you are a beginner I'd recommend the Bugaboos. If you are a fit, experienced strong offpiste skier and like steeps, pillows and drops Galena. For the best treeskiing Monashees. Monashees and Galena both require the same ability; the difference is Monashees is less cliffy but offers on average longer tree runs than Galena. If you enjoy Glacier skiing Adamants or Cariboos. Ultimately every lodge offers challenging terrain for even the most seasoned experts. Where they take you will depend and snow stability and ability of the group. Each lodge has their unique vibe and depending on personality you might favour one over the other.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta
78 attraction reviews
“Great Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a fabulous helihiking trip at Bobby Burns Lodge. CMH is well known for heliskiing. In the summers they utilize their staff and facilities for hiking and climbing on via ferrata routes. They pick you up by helicopter transporting you to a wilderness lodge. We hiked a spectacular wildflower basin to a ridge with 360° views of granite spires and glaciers. The next two days were for adventure routes on a via ferrata both up Mt Nimbus and alongside the Conrad Glacier. Google this to see videos. Such fun. Exhilarating but very secure.

Guides were knowledgable and super friendly. Other guests like minded adventure travelers. Food plentiful and delicious. Wonderful holiday.

Visited August 2014