“service was excellent. Love the free bread :)” 4 of 5 stars

403.762.4442
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 127 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Great steaks, a casual ambiance and friendly, very knowledgeable staff are the proud and reliable trademarks of The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. You'll find a truly comfortable and satisfying dining atmosphere accompanied by a fun and casual bar setting. Each is a welcoming destination on its own, and together they create an energetic and inviting, uniquely gratifying restaurant experience. The Keg is a casual steakhouse with a contemporary flavor - an attractive combination for any occasion.
Edmonton, Canada
“service was excellent. Love the free bread :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

free freshly baked bun, with whipped butter to start off your meal. Awesome. service was really good. Clean, lodge feel restaurant. Our steak however, I was disappointed, it was over done, I ordered medium prime rib, it could pass for a well done prime rib, I almost don't way to say this, because I loved the service so much, the prime rib was dry, my husbands New York steak he likes it well done, it was, I'm not kidding, burned. My sons grilled chicken, was, also, dry. it has absolutely no moisture :( The rest of the meal however was superb. Cesar salad was good, lots of Parmesan, French onion soup was great, warm, cheesy, not salty. we loved the keg so the second night we came back for dinner, I didn't want to chance it with another over done steak, I ordered seafood. It was good. Prepared perfectly. My husband took another chance with a different kind of steak, as he like his well done, he thought to be safe, he will order medium! And it is just right :) We had a lovely Easter Morning Brunch, since we were staying at the Caribou, we got a deal of I believe $28 for the 3 of us to eat brunch at the Keg buffet style (6:30 am to 11 am). we were sited at the perfect spot by the window at the back facing the play park, with a view of the mountains. Our server from the Philippines, was the greatest. She stood there waiting for what my son would want next from the buffet. I know this is going out of her way, but I thought that was very sweet! She also asked if we wanted freshly cooked eggs, very kind.

The buffet had an assortment of fruits, you can make a parfait. Has cottage cheese, cheddar and Swiss cheese as well. Has assortment of kids cereal and 2% milk I think.

There are 3 hot plate containers that has, eggs Benedict, bacon and sausages, French toast, and potatoes and scramble eggs I think. You can also make your own toast. There's a self serve fountain of what tasted like freshly squeeze OJ, Apple Juice, and another type of juice.

We spent 1 hr sitting, talking and just having brunch, we did not felt rush, even though there was a line up outside. They treat children well, even though I had a 4 yr old with extra energy that could not sit still. They were all very kind, and catering to his needs. They have trained their staff well.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ponoka
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a great meal, with good service. The staff was good, and the wait wasn't too long as we got in a bit early.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“okay food, atmosphere was okay too, good service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went to the keg steakhouse in banff recently, and my experience was okay. The food was okay slightly below freshly cooked temperature, the atmosphere was very relaxed and enjoyable until a table of rowdy individuals came in..they definitely need to work on their food being served right away so its hot and smoky when it gets to the table..and maybe have a better hostess or organized who can allocate tables based on the costumers and a better perception of how loud or noisy they are gonna be and how that will affect guests like us who are there to relax and enjoy a nice meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brooks AB
“Perfect/”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Loved the meal. Loved the service. Expensive but worth it =) We were told there was a 50 minute wait but gave us a seat at the bar. The bartender was awesome. Great guy with a great sense of humor. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. Cant wait to visit again.

Visited February 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good food REALLY let down by service/kitchen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a disappointing meal at this place. We were seated fairly promptly and about 5 mins later our drinks order was taken.
My drink arrived and was wrong but being it was another beer I liked I didn't say anything. At the same time I indicated we were ready to order. 10 minutes later our order was taken.

25 minutes after placing the order the waiter came and asked my wife to repeat what her main course order was - so at this stage no idea what he'd put thru the till.

Another 10 or so minutes later our starters were put down - incorrectly.

I was given a top up of water in my glass, my wife wasn't offered any more.

I also re-checked my beer as I wanted a 2nd, but this time the right one. The waiter acknowledged the mistake.

When our steaks arrived, both were supposed to be medium rare, but both were in fact well done! I called the waiter over and pointed out the fact; he agreed and said he'd talk to the kitchen staff. A minute or so later he presented 2 side plates and asked us to put the steaks on there.

We then had been left with 2 meals with the main event missing.

2 minutes later we had 2 new steaks, both of which were correct, with a brief apology. No explanation or offer of a free drink at this stage. No idea who was now going to be missing out on the steaks given to us, and have to wait longer!

Obviously we did have quite a bit of time on our hands and took the opportunity to watch the pass; dishes were being placed on there for up to 5 minutes and only then was the steak being added - so the rest of the dish was being sacrificed for the steak.

Based on performance to this point we elected to just get the bill. When we saw nothing had been taken off, and no further apology, it just reaffirmed my decision to not provide a tip; something I may do in less than 1 in 100 restaurants.

Not sure how this place has achieved no.4 in Banff; but it certainly isn't in our eyes, and clearly not in the eyes of the guy who asked at the pass where his meal was, or the family sitting near us who had got 1 starter between 5 after about 40 minutes, or the owner of the 2 dishes returned to the pass.

All in all, for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 beers, 1 wine, $116 was way over the top for the overall experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere