“Great food” 4 of 5 stars

403.762.4442
Update restaurant details
Ranked #10 of 120 restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Great steaks, a casual ambiance and friendly, very knowledgeable staff are the proud and reliable trademarks of The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. You'll find a truly comfortable and satisfying dining atmosphere accompanied by a fun and casual bar setting. Each is a welcoming destination on its own, and together they create an energetic and inviting, uniquely gratifying restaurant experience. The Keg is a casual steakhouse with a contemporary flavor - an attractive combination for any occasion.
Ponoka
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a great meal, with good service. The staff was good, and the wait wasn't too long as we got in a bit early.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Calgary, Canada
“okay food, atmosphere was okay too, good service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went to the keg steakhouse in banff recently, and my experience was okay. The food was okay slightly below freshly cooked temperature, the atmosphere was very relaxed and enjoyable until a table of rowdy individuals came in..they definitely need to work on their food being served right away so its hot and smoky when it gets to the table..and maybe have a better hostess or organized who can allocate tables based on the costumers and a better perception of how loud or noisy they are gonna be and how that will affect guests like us who are there to relax and enjoy a nice meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brooks AB
“Perfect/”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Loved the meal. Loved the service. Expensive but worth it =) We were told there was a 50 minute wait but gave us a seat at the bar. The bartender was awesome. Great guy with a great sense of humor. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. Cant wait to visit again.

Visited February 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good food REALLY let down by service/kitchen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a disappointing meal at this place. We were seated fairly promptly and about 5 mins later our drinks order was taken.
My drink arrived and was wrong but being it was another beer I liked I didn't say anything. At the same time I indicated we were ready to order. 10 minutes later our order was taken.

25 minutes after placing the order the waiter came and asked my wife to repeat what her main course order was - so at this stage no idea what he'd put thru the till.

Another 10 or so minutes later our starters were put down - incorrectly.

I was given a top up of water in my glass, my wife wasn't offered any more.

I also re-checked my beer as I wanted a 2nd, but this time the right one. The waiter acknowledged the mistake.

When our steaks arrived, both were supposed to be medium rare, but both were in fact well done! I called the waiter over and pointed out the fact; he agreed and said he'd talk to the kitchen staff. A minute or so later he presented 2 side plates and asked us to put the steaks on there.

We then had been left with 2 meals with the main event missing.

2 minutes later we had 2 new steaks, both of which were correct, with a brief apology. No explanation or offer of a free drink at this stage. No idea who was now going to be missing out on the steaks given to us, and have to wait longer!

Obviously we did have quite a bit of time on our hands and took the opportunity to watch the pass; dishes were being placed on there for up to 5 minutes and only then was the steak being added - so the rest of the dish was being sacrificed for the steak.

Based on performance to this point we elected to just get the bill. When we saw nothing had been taken off, and no further apology, it just reaffirmed my decision to not provide a tip; something I may do in less than 1 in 100 restaurants.

Not sure how this place has achieved no.4 in Banff; but it certainly isn't in our eyes, and clearly not in the eyes of the guy who asked at the pass where his meal was, or the family sitting near us who had got 1 starter between 5 after about 40 minutes, or the owner of the 2 dishes returned to the pass.

All in all, for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 beers, 1 wine, $116 was way over the top for the overall experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Swansea
“Best steak ever tasted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Phenomenal steaks - my mouth is watering just thinking about it! I urge you to try the filet mignon cooked Chicago style and served with scallops. Incredible taste and very good value. Excellent service too.

• Visited March 2013