“Great as usual” 4 of 5 stars

403.762.4442
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 123 restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Great steaks, a casual ambiance and friendly, very knowledgeable staff are the proud and reliable trademarks of The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. You'll find a truly comfortable and satisfying dining atmosphere accompanied by a fun and casual bar setting. Each is a welcoming destination on its own, and together they create an energetic and inviting, uniquely gratifying restaurant experience. The Keg is a casual steakhouse with a contemporary flavor - an attractive combination for any occasion.
Cheshire
“Great as usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Service was a bit off to start but out server picked up on my slight discontent and improved! We were seated at a table agains the window which I have to say was a bit chilly! Be ware particularly in winter months! Steaks were as amazing as we expected them to be and absolutely wort the $'s!

83% Recommend
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I suppose with a name like "The Keg" I was expecting more of a pub atmosphere. Definitely not that at all. The mediocrity began with waiting just for someone to notice I was waiting. And then when they did notice me, I was forced to wait, despite several open tables. This was fine. I imagine they were busier than expected for an off-peak weekday evening, but it was just weird. So, when I was seated, it was another several minutes before my server acknowledged my presence. There was a weird exchange where he looked at me, smiled and walked toward me, and then went off in another direction. Just really odd. Again, probably too busy. When he returned, I ordered my severely overpriced glass of wine and food. The wine was mediocre and, again, really overpriced (but I could have gotten a bottle for half their normal price which may have almost brought it down to the price at the local wine store). Not entirely sure what I'd do with a whole bottle of wine. I ordered the sirloin with garlic mashed potatoes. The food came out quickly enough, but for the price, I was expecting a bit tastier meat. Particularly given that we are in cow country here. The potatoes also seemed to be just mashed red potatoes without a hint of garlic. When I finished my meal, my server seemed to have disappeared for about 15 minutes (his break, perhaps?) Eventually, he returned and quickly cashed me out. Overall, it wasn't awful, just not as great as I was expecting, and definitely not a pub. More along the lines of "fine" dining. As the review is titled, it was just OK.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alberta
“The Keg never disappoints...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We ate at the Keg in the Caribou twice, once for supper and once for breakfast. Our steak and salmon dinner, with the goat cheese app, were wonderful. My 12 oz steak was done to perfection - loved it. We got a great deal on a bottle of wine and were allowed to take what was left back to our room. Service was lovely; our young waiter was hilarious and attentive. We had asked to be moved away from our initial location because some other patrons were annoying loud, and the move was accomplished graciously and without any fuss. The next morning we had the buffet breakfast, seated by the fireplace. The buffet was reasonably priced at $15.95 per and had all the normal hot and cold stuff, quite nice. Service was again friendly and efficient. Altogether enjoyable.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“An unforgettable holiday was had by all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Unfortunately on the 15th of September we had to return home after a fantastic holiday in Canada, we ate in many places and out of all of the Restaurants we ate at The Keg was by far the best. We have visited The Keg at the Caribou Lodge on many occasions as this is where we stay when we are in Banff and it’s not the first holiday to here, our enjoyment here was made an even better experience by our waiter Keith. What a star he is, I have a really serious allergy to any dairy products but this was not a problem, I was in safe hands, he made sure the kitchen were aware of this and everything was fantastic, our steak was always cooked to perfection, nothing was too much trouble. We have been going to the keg in Banff since 2006 we have been served by many waiters, some training and some established but none as good as Keith, we arrived as customers but left as friends.

We would also like to thank the restaurant managers sorry but I can’t remember their names one was a very bubbly young lady the other a very nice young man who was also prepared to take extra care to check out ingredients for me. Not forgetting the chefs, you never get to meet them but the fine quality of the food they send out night after night never changed no matter how busy they are its always excellent.

We recently recomended the Keg to friends who visited earlier in the season and out of they whole holiday they reported back that the meal here was the best of their whole holiday.

The only down side was a grumpy, personality less bar man who could do with a good tickle!! I don’t want to be too rude.

We will return thank you everyone x
We all wish we were there now

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“No surprises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

That's the great thing about The Keg. Great consistent food no matter what location. Have the Ceasar Salad instead of the Wedge salad though. My only tip.