“Yum Yum Yum” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 122 restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: El Toro after a long day skiing or for your romantic dinner in our warm and cosy atmosphere! Tapas, Cahteaubriand for two or delicious steak will be sure to satisfy all taste buds!
Brisbane
“Yum Yum Yum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have recently moved to Banff and in the three months I've been here I eat here about every second week. It is just that good!! Out of the 50 or so places to eat in town I can tell you hands down, it's in my top 5!! I mostly come for the burger. It's a real, hand made quality meat patty, juicy but not dripping with fat, not frozen and big. They put some mushrooms and aged cheddar on it (not that orange plastic cheese), caramelised red onions (sweet and delicious) and a couple of rashes of bacon. But the best part, is the olive focaccia bread they put it on. It's always fresh, light and fluffy with just the right amount of olive in it (for those that aren't olive fans it's not over powering just enough). They also serve this up with a thick and creamy chipoltle mayo and big fat hand cut chips. The other thing I like about this place is it's consistency and service. It's a little gem that I'm glad to have found. SO GOOD!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
Delta, Canada
“Great food, price and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

El Toro provided dinner every night for our team on a recent retreat in Banff. Our group had some special needs and food allergies that make us a bit of a challenge some times but Isabelle and her staff did a wonderful job of feeding all of us. The food was great and the service was exactly what we expected. Each evening we had the opportunity to see many of the great selections from the menu and I am looking forward to getting back and trying some of the dishes that have been recommended by other guests.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'd been having some difficulty getting both good food and good service in one restaurant in Banff. However, this was one of the few places I found it. Now, it might be because I ate there a bit after normal dinner time (I think it was 8 or so). But, the waitress was very attentive and it was fascinating to watch them work. The food was both Spanish and Mexican (I went for a standard Mexican fajita platter which was excellent). Drinks were also quite good. I highly recommend it!

Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Tasting a bit of everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We attended during the Bon Appetit Banff event with another couple. We chose to share one order of their signature Chateaubriand which was on special and two orders of the event's tapas menu. This gave us a selection of eight tapas and two desserts for sharing -everyone got a small sampling of everything. By the time the Chateaubriand was served it was the perfect amount for four to share, especially when you still needed room for the dessert sampling. This meal option provided us with enough tasting of their menu that all agreed to return for the regular meal.

This was a popular location and reservations are strongly recommended. Fortunately we had a later seating and things quieted down considerably.

Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Bon Appetit menu poorly executed, but would try their regular menu.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The serving size in the El Toro Bon Appetit menu were small, more like samples. We'd have enjoyed less selection and more to eat, and would have felt we'd have got better value for the meal. The stuffed portobello was yummy as was the hot chocolate callebaut cake! Unfortunately, the quesadillas were a bit anorexic and were nearly bare on the inside. The server was friendly and very busy. She forgot to order our dessert on time so it would be ready when we finished our dinner, but she came over and apologized. I feel the experience would have been better outside of the Bon Appetit menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere